Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2013
if i buy the new ipad5 or the ipad4 how long will it last compared to a laptop. will an ipad last 2 or 3 years

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
It depends on your usage but it could defiantly last 2 or 3 years or more.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
My Ipad 2 is now almost 9 months old. Still good as new and i only charge it every 3-4 days so battery should last me like 4-5 years i think.

When my battery go bad, i would go to Apple to pay for replacement and probably get Ipad 5 or Ipad 6 hahaha.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Depends on how long you intend to have all iOS functionality supported. For reasons I don't know, multitasking gestures are not supported on the original iPad. Another example: I have iOS 6 on my iPad 2 but Siri is not supported. It has the same internals as my wife's iPad mini, which does have Siri. Apple may decide on a whim what new functionality you should be allowed, and the decision is not always based on hardware limitations.

Conclusion: Anything between 1.5 and 5 years.
After 1-2 years, your iPad might be excluded from new functionality in iOS.
After 3-5 years, there are more and more apps that you can no longer upgrade nor reinstall.
After 5 years, you'll probably have to replace the battery.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
My mom is still using the iPad 1 I gave her when I upgraded to the 3. The iPad 1 is 3+ years old and still works fine for her.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
We've passed our original iPad down to our son (it was purchased on release day 3 years back)---works great, battery is fine (lasts at least 8 hours with his 'workflow' ;)). My wife is still using her iPad 2, also purchased on release...perfect condition. Other than earlier mentioned hardware/software limitations as time marches on....they will last a good three years if you take care of them. I think they're still just as 'fast' as they were out of the box---but back then, we didn't have the A6x processor equipped iPad 4 to compare them too!

Well built these iPads are, for sure. I'm surprised as well at how long the batteries are still lasting (on iPad original and iPad 2).

J

Last edited:

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
the i pad should last a long time. even if they stop giveing it ios updates.
you can still surf the web and check emails :)

Tomo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Depends on how long you intend to have all iOS functionality supported. For reasons I don't know, multitasking gestures are not supported on the original iPad.

I have multitasking gestures on my first generation iPad. I think it was excluded from the first generation in iOS 5, and then added in 5.1, or something like that. :)

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
My wife's iPad 1 is becoming useless. It's super slow, constantly crashes when using safari and some of the apps require the latest iOS version. You can only support electronic gadgets for so long before you harm the experience. If you think about it there is only a 1 year difference between iPad 1 and 2 (plus the mini). I don't see a refreshed iOS 7 running any smoother on old hardware.
That's why I don't understand why people want this version of the iPad mini. It's already 2 year old tech and it appears that Apple is not interested in giving it the latest and greatest compared to the full size.
If it was my choice I would wait until iPad 5. None of this iPad mini and iPad 2 business.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm looking to have my iPad mini last at least two years. I strongly believe it's got enough in the tank to make this happen!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
My ipad2 is almost 2 years old, has had enormous use and is still running perfectly. so far it hasn't been dropped or damaged in any other way.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Original iPad here, will be three years old in two months, going very strong, many hours business use every day. To the poster whose wife's keeps crashing you should try this. Back it up and do a factory restore. Then when the system restore finishes select the last back up to complete the restore with your apps and data. I suspect that the problem is the data gets very fragmented after a while in the flash memory from all of the deletes and adds and updates, etc. When you do the restore it puts everything back in neat order and the flash memory doesn't have to work as hard to find what it needs. Just a guess but seems logical. At least it fixed mine when that was happening.

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I've purchased each release on or shortly after the release date. Since I have given the past one to family members, I know that the iPad 1 is just as good as it was when initially purchased. All of my old iPads are used daily by family and are running just fine.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
if i buy the new ipad5 or the ipad4 how long will it last compared to a laptop. will an ipad last 2 or 3 years
Base on my iPod Touch (3rd gen) which is over 4 years old, I'd say iPads will last 4 or 5 years at least. And based on how my iPad is doing so far, I see no reason for an iPad lasting 5 years at least. The only issue might be that you need a new battery after that long.

Of course as someone else stated you will start having issues around iOS and app updates no longer being available after a while.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My iPad 1 lasted 2.5 years. Why oh why did they only put 256mb of RAM in it?

Planned obsolescence. Under-speccing is a great way to drive upgrades next year (like leaving the front-facing camera out of a very mobile device in gen 1). Then, just build features that beg for higher specs and you get to sell the new one even when the old one still works fine. If that doesn't motivate enough prior generation owners to upgrade, add a feature or two that requires the new one (even though through hacks such features can run just fine on the old one).

The focus seems to be increasingly on how often can we ding a credit card vs. building something with great consumer value (such as long-term legs). Notice the recent trend in professional software trying to go the subscription-only model. Same kind of thing.

We're probably heading for a point similar to big pharma working the one-a-day treatment: ding the credit card once-per-day to use our toys. Pharma just has the stronger punch of fear: fail to take the treatment once per day and you might die.

Then again, around here, fail to buy an Apple upgrade and you might die too.;)

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
It depends on what you mean, if you mean tech wise then the device should easily last 2 to 3 years as the battery and internal components stay working throughout its use. But Apple releases alot of changes and updates for its devices (in terms of software) so your device can become obsolete in these terms quite quickly

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Hey, I'm still using the iPad 1, which I bought the first week it came out. I don't really care if I have Siri on it or not, the things I do with it (Pages, various photo software, music, Youtube, reading the newspaper) still work fine.

So they last quite well. I think physically the limiting factor is probably the battery, mine is still going strong, YMMV. The other limiting factor would be whether you'll need whatever additional functionality that comes out 2-3 years down the road and whether the iPad you buy now will still be compatible with it.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I have in my family Ipads 1, 2 and 3. All were purchased when they first came out. All are working and we use them all the time.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I gutted the crap of my device. Killed messaging services, iCloud, Photo Stream, Email push, etc. and now I'm getting one week per cycle. Say there are 1,000 cycles on an average Lithium battery, that's 1,000 weeks divided by 52 which would be about 19 years! Muahahaha! And no, I did not do that calculation in my head.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. You are more likely to get bored with the device than be forced to replace it.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The longevity of the hardware for iPad will be hard to measure. Really the iPad 1st gen has been out just now 3 years, 1 month. The iPad 2 has been out 2 years and 2 months and the 3/4 just came out last year.

It's hard to say how the iPad will be 5 years after purchase, but going on some of my family and friend's that still have their first gen iPad, I can say that they seem to be working like champs. Not a one complaint about poor battery life 3 years on and the only real complaints I hear is the lack of memory pulls down the performance of the iOS / apps.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I bought iPad 2 10 months ago and I still love it. I am glad I didn't buy 3 or 4 because it si bit heavy for my taste and too warm to hold with bare hand. :apple:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
For reasons I don't know, multitasking gestures are not supported on the original iPad.

Really? So, on my iPad 1, when I swipe up with four fingers to see the app controls, or pinch with five fingers to close an app, what is that known as?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.