Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Looks like there might be some signal issues with bluetooth. I want to have the receiver in the house, but carry the phone with me outside. Maybe I would be better with an AppleTV to send the music to an amp that powers the outdoor speakers.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi - not completely understanding your setup or needs - first, does the music reside on your iPhone (which you want near the outside speakers)? Second, are the outside speakers self-powered or do they need an amp/receiver (and where is that located - assume these speakers are wired if not self-powered)?

From your description, my vision is that you want the BT transmitter 'in the house', send music from your iPhone to it, and then have that music transmitted to the outside speakers - may be way off base but that's my mental image?

As you likely know, BT has a maximum transmission distance of 30 ft. or less (less if going through walls to the outside); plus, these BT devices need to be cabled into a powered set of speakers, i.e. self powered or attached to an amp/receiver; if you have the latter near the outside speakers, why not just plug in the BT transmitter there; of course, you could also easily cable the iPhone to the speakers (if powered) or an amp/receiver? Finally, I have several sets (a HDTV sound bar & portable travel speakers; and headphones) of BT compatible speakers - an additional consideration.

Probably not of much help but good luck - Dave :)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hi - not completely understanding your setup or needs - first, does the music reside on your iPhone (which you want near the outside speakers)? Second, are the outside speakers self-powered or do they need an amp/receiver (and where is that located - assume these speakers are wired if not self-powered)?

From your description, my vision is that you want the BT transmitter 'in the house', send music from your iPhone to it, and then have that music transmitted to the outside speakers - may be way off base but that's my mental image?

As you likely know, BT has a maximum transmission distance of 30 ft. or less (less if going through walls to the outside); plus, these BT devices need to be cabled into a powered set of speakers, i.e. self powered or attached to an amp/receiver; if you have the latter near the outside speakers, why not just plug in the BT transmitter there; of course, you could also easily cable the iPhone to the speakers (if powered) or an amp/receiver? Finally, I have several sets (a HDTV sound bar & portable travel speakers; and headphones) of BT compatible speakers - an additional consideration.

Probably not of much help but good luck - Dave :)

Thank you for your response.

The set up i want is very close to your mental image. I have outdoor speakers (they look like two rocks), these are not self powered so they need an amp.

The amp would be in the house (along the outside wall closest to the speakers).

I want to be able to control what is playing on the outdoor speakers using my phone. So i would stream from the phone to the amp.

My two ideas are; use bluetooth or Airplay. It sounds like airplay may give me the most range.

You asked where the music (audio) is located. I hvae itunes match, plus listen to the Sirus and Pandora App(s) alot.

Again thanks for your response.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Ok this is what i have decided on.

I found the a Refurbished AirPort Express Base Station on the apple website for $69. Also found this amp "Dayton Audio DTA-100a" for $96 on amazon.

I allready have the speakers so all i still need is some speaker wire and i think i am good to go.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Ok this is what i have decided on.

I found the a Refurbished AirPort Express Base Station on the apple website for $69. Also found this amp "Dayton Audio DTA-100a" for $96 on amazon.

I allready have the speakers so all i still need is some speaker wire and i think i am good to go.

Well, the AP Express Base Station is mainly for setting up a Wi-Fi network, so I'm assuming that you plan to use AirPlay on the router - you'll still need to get that sound to the amp described above (assume only a wired connection) - is that possible?

Now, your spending close to $200 on the suggestion above - I don't know if you have AC power where the current speakers are located nor what volume of sound you want to produce? BUT, why not just get a Bluetooth set of powered speakers or a sound bar? Seems like a simpler solution, but I still may not be understanding your reasoning - sorry. :)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Well, the AP Express Base Station is mainly for setting up a Wi-Fi network, so I'm assuming that you plan to use AirPlay on the router - you'll still need to get that sound to the amp described above (assume only a wired connection) - is that possible?

Now, your spending close to $200 on the suggestion above - I don't know if you have AC power where the current speakers are located nor what volume of sound you want to produce? BUT, why not just get a Bluetooth set of powered speakers or a sound bar? Seems like a simpler solution, but I still may not be understanding your reasoning - sorry. :)

I may be way off.
What i planed was to connect the audio out connection on the AP express to the amp

Then use airplay on my phone or our iMac to send music to the AP Express

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
I may be way off.
What i planed was to connect the audio out connection on the AP express to the amp

Then use airplay on my phone or our iMac to send music to the AP Express

OK - below is a pic of the back of the AP Express w/ an audio output shown - states an audio/optical output, so I guess you need to make sure that your cabling to the amp will work - good luck! :)

overview_ports_2x.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.