Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
They should make it unlocked without any carrier and sell it in apple store. it will sell like hotcakes if it will be good.
I totally agree! I'm sick and tired of these big phone companies dangling these pretty devices in front of people, spending billions on advertising convincing them their lives are pointless without them, and then binding them up in a multi-year contract that they have no escape from.

Apple should just sell all their products without any carrier. Screw the phone companies!

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I guess you can't really enjoy many new apps and games on this 'mid end' phone, since the spec will be 3 years old or something.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
appleno.jpg

This is presumably what will happen :eek:

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
If the iPad mini had a phone on it, then it would be all I need. I could use iPhone ear buds or a blutooth device. I have read that you can use skype or other apps to make phone calls with the mini but I would like a dedicated phone number. I would also like data plans to be cheaper.

Skype offers a service where you get a phone number others can call you on: http://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

You could easily drop your cell contract, get a skype number and then use your iPad mini is a super-large phablet. Cheaper too, I'd guess.

EDIT: ThunderSkunk beat me to it.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This article makes little sense to me. Is it going to be a "mid-end" device or is it going to be marketed to emerging markets? Because at this point in time, you can't do both.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
nice.. Europe will enjoy the new cheap iPhone :)

Emerging Markets, isn't that China, India and africa,

Europe is not some assbackwards hicksville you know.

----------

This is presumably what will happen :eek:

Going off the iPad mini and iPods a "low end" iPhone will probably fall in at around $75 - $100 cheaper than the cheapest "regular" iPhone model, thus tempting people to dig "just a little deeper" and spend more for the higher ticket item

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The big question...will they keep selling the old phone as a cheaper alternative?

That's what I've viewed as their "mid-end" iPhone. The iPhone 4 or 4S is much more affordable than the 5. I don't understand why they have to create an entirely new device when their last-generation device can fill that niche.

Perhaps Apple plans to stop selling older devices, so that all currently-selling phones have the same tech.

Last edited:

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
In most companies, the bean counters. Thankfully, Apple isn't headed by a bean c... oh. crap.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Cook is not an accountant or finance guy. He got his bachelors in industrial engineering. He's a supply chain expert. You must have him confused with somebody else.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If JP Morgan analysts say it, it must be true, right? And DigiTimes is #1 in accuracy...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not too bad Apple. $349 is about the upper limit that I would consider for a phone without a contract. Flagship phone prices are crazy to begin with.

Go low, sell at cost. Claim the whole market. Recover the money from iTunes sales.

An iPhone in every pocket!
They are not going to sell these at cost. Not even close.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I think it's essential for Apple to hit the middle end market better... it's where they're loosing ground... all this junk about Android vs iOS is just techies being techies and forgetting that most average consumers don't care... they just want a smart phone that works. From what I've seen, most people buy what is pushed at the store and what they can afford... or not afford! :)

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I'd kind of always assumed this.

Apple's "low end" Mac (the Mini) still costs more than most Dells. Their "low end" laptop (the Air) is certainly no netbook. The iPad Mini is certainly cheaper but it's no $199 Android-competitor. I expect the "low end" phone to be something similar.

The big question...will they keep selling the old phone as a cheaper alternative? Or maybe just last year's instead of the last 2 years? That's the part that will dictate where this new "cheaper" phone falls in the lineup.

** (All this is assuming it's for sale everywhere. If it's being made ONLY for emerging markets, all bets are off.)

I'm guessing they'll take the older models off the market. They haven't been good for Apples margins, since it still requires very precise and expensive manufacturing for the stainless steel and glass enclosure. Then again, maybe they could do something similar like they did with the iPad, keep the iPad 2 at 399 (and not the iPad 3), and priced Mini below. So maybe this new phone will be replacing the iPhone 4, and the 4S will still stay in the lineup.

Idk, I'm just guessing that iPhone 4/4S continued strong sales have not been good to margins because it is likely still expensive to build the enclosure. Precision metal fabrication does not get significantly cheaper over time like components do.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
This is so stupid. It's like, "People are not buying a lot of phones in the $425-450 price range. Therefor, there's a great untapped market of people with $425-450 in their pocket who want to buy phones at that price range! DEPLOY THE CHEAP iPHONE!!!" :rolleyes:

could be because the mid-market is where the growth will likely occur in the upcoming years. That is, the higher end market growth is slowing.

I think I read that around 48% of iPhones sold last quarter was the latest version, vs 73% the previous year, meaning that there is growing domestic demand for the mid-market device (iPhone 4/4S, at this time). I'm sure they've done alot more research, but they prob found alot of people switching from feature phones want to pay $0 (subsidized) for a latest model.

In China, India, etc, it's wide open still, it's where the real huge growth is happening (on all markets). But it probably makes the more sense to get the 'mid-market' before trying to market a low-end device.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I am pretty sure iPhone 4 will support iOS 7...that being said I'f I'm thinking like apple...they will/can make the iPhone 4 the LOW end iPhone as its already their most popular model to date. Also without having to create a new one especially since their cost on the iPhone 4 is now LOWER THAN EVER! year after year we get these stup*d rumors. Same goes for the iPad mini...people are talking about a <$250 priced iPad...well guess what $329-$100 = $229....since apple always drops the price of the previous gen by $100 and refurbs of Mini....well probably will cost $175-$200 once iPad Mini 2nd gen is released.

Its annoying when people spread senseless rumors...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If you've never seen today's true LOW-end smartphones, let me just say... wow. Yes, they have a data plan, a touchscreen, and an app-capable OS (Android on the ones I've seen). But they are shockingly bad. Badly designed, cheaply made, dog slow toys. The carriers (regional ones?) give them out like candy to snare contracts.

There is NO way Apple would ever try to make junk. Lower-end than they now make? Sure, they might do that; and larger screens some day. The market is growing and there's room to carefully diversify and add more product lines. Just as happened with all-in-ones and laptops.

C

champ01

I don't get it. :confused:

Yes a crappier (cheaper) phone will boost sales. But its not like Apple need it.

I can see this only going down hill from now.

Quality, Being the Best, Performance, Pride, Thinking out of the box.
Tell me when the real Apple is back. Cause **** all these iToys if nothing better is coming!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think it will basically be a current gen iPod touch internally.

4", A5, 5MP, 8 maybe 16gb.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't understand why they have to create an entirely new device when their last-generation device can fill that niche.

Precision metal fabrication does not get significantly cheaper over time like components do.

I'm thinking like Millah is. It's nice for Apple that the older processors get cheaper, but yeah, I'm thinking that making an iPhone 4 today isn't THAT much cheaper than it was in 2011.

They're probably after something that's significantly cheaper for them to make, so even if they sell a new "cheap phone" for the same price they used to sell the "2 year old phone" for, they'd still be coming out ahead.

(Plus, then you can do stuff like put new dock connectors on it and make 16x9 screens...even if they're not retina quality to make them cheaper...you can make the ratio match so that developers have an easier time making stuff look the same everywhere. These are advantages over selling 2 year old designs. You can update some features like ports while leaving other features retro, like memory.)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I don't understand why they have to create an entirely new device when their last-generation device can fill that niche.

The profit margins on the previous generation phones is very small. This is what killed them in their earnings report last week. More people are buying the previous generation phone than anytime in their history. By building a new phone from ground up with cost in mind, they can keep their profit margin higher.

----------

Not too bad Apple. $349 is about the upper limit that I would consider for a phone without a contract. Flagship phone prices are crazy to begin with.

If they are truly building a low cost phone for emerging markets, then it is not designed for the US. That means even $350 would be too high. All of these rumors are very confusing because none of them agree on what direction Apple is trying to go in with a low cost iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.