Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

comScore today released the results of its monthly rolling survey of U.S. mobile phone users for the January-March period, showing that Apple's smartphone market share rose 2.7 points from December to March, from 36.3% of total U.S. smartphone platform and hardware sales to 39%, marking a record high share for the company.

topsmartphoneoems.jpg

Samsung was the hardware manufacturer with the second largest share of the market at 21.7% in March, up from 21% in December. HTC, Motorola, and LG again experienced slight drops in market share, with HTC suffering the heaviest loss going from 10.2% to 9%.

Google's Android continues to be ranked as the top smartphone platform with 52% of smartphone platform share, though it experienced a drop from 53.4% in December, which was absorbed by Apple.

topsmartphoneplatforms.jpg

Apple's share increased 2.7 points to 39%, while Blackberry continued to drop, hitting 5.2% down from 6.4% in December. Microsoft remained steady at 3%, though saw a small drop from 3.2% in February's report. Collectively, Apple and Google control 91 percent of the smartphone market, with Apple making continual gains each month.

comScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: Apple's U.S. Smartphone Usage Share Approaches 40%

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Widely different conclusions between outlets means 1) someone's methods are hopelessly non-representative and should be ignored and/or 2) someone is banking off stock fluctuations based on these reports.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Market share is meaningless. Nobody who loves Apple cares one whit about market share, or else they would be embarrassed by the Mac's single-digit market share. Therefore, market share is meaningless.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Here's hoping those studies about brand loyalty were right, and Apple regains some dissatisfied Android customers.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Market share is meaningless. Nobody who loves Apple cares one whit about market share, or else they would be embarrassed by the Mac's single-digit market share. Therefore, market share is meaningless.

For clarification, Apple's US market share is over 10%. Worldwide it is still <10%.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Widely different conclusions between outlets means 1) someone's methods are hopelessly non-representative and should be ignored and/or 2) someone is banking off stock fluctuations based on these reports.

Mind sharing a link to another outlet reporting the same thing over the same time period but showing "widely different" results?

I don't think this is all that surprising in the US - especially considering price, in the rest of the world, plays a massive role in Android's worldwide dominance.

Also, if you look at handset sales, the numbers still would tend to reflect Apple having the larger market share given the major US carriers report a majority of sales as iPhone sales.

All-in-all, not all that shocking - though I'm sure to the people who are convinced Apple is doomed and a stale dinosaur, I see where confusion might set in ;)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
So is this as meaningless as the crap we get from IDC?

It shows that people use their iPhone a lot more then people with other OS based phones. And why is that, maybe because the interface is easier?

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I am surprised to see BB go down even after the advent of BB10 and the new range...

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
How Comscore collects their Data

They pay users to put software on their devices and then weight the data.
The users can win prizes.

Source Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ComScore

"Data collection and reporting

comScore maintains a group of users who have monitoring software (with brands including PermissionResearch, OpinionSquare and VoiceFive Networks)[15] installed on their computers.[citation needed] In exchange for joining the comScore research panels, users are presented with various benefits, including computer security software, Internet data storage, virus scanning and chances to win cash or prizes.[citation needed]
comScore is up-front about collecting user data and the software's ability to track all of a user's internet traffic,[16] including normally secure (https://) connections used to communicate banking and other confidential information.[17]
comScore estimates that two million users are part of the monitoring program.[9] However, self-selected populations, no matter how large, may not be representative of the population as a whole. To obtain the most accurate data, comScore adjusts the statistics using weights to make sure that each population segment is adequately represented. To calculate these weights, comScore regularly recruits panelists using random digit dialing and other offline recruiting methods to accurately determine how many users are online, aggregated by geography, income and age.[18][19][20] Correcting the comScore data requires having accurate demographics about the larger pool of users. However, some comScore users are recruited without being asked to give demographic information and, in other cases, users may not be truthful about their demographics. To ensure the accuracy of the data, comScore verifies its users' demographics during the course of measuring statistical data.[21]
The corrected data is used to generate reports on topics ranging from web traffic[22] to video streaming activity[23] and consumer buying power.[24]"

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
How far will Androids market share drop when Samsung releases its Tizen OS on their smartphones and tablets later this year.

That remains to be seen. It would be great for all of us if WinPhone, Android, iOS and Tizen were all to flourish.

----------

Don't forget the "If Steve was still alive…"

If The Steve were still alive then nobody would be guessing what he might have said.

I think that is a safe assumption.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
A surprisingly large amount of comments I like today

I don't see anyone sharing their iphone, unless I misunderstood the title
I chuckled :D :D

This is a very good point. I love my Macs, I don't care what everyone else is using. People should care more about how the products they like are evolving, and not so much how they compete with other brands and models.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

It probably is, especially if you also ask someone who loves Samsung how he feels about their poor computer sales.... or what a windows lover thinks about the lousy windows phone marketshare (or the "tiny" surface sales) or a Android user what he feels about the embarrasing chromebook marketshare...

or as our local beer brewer says "it's all about the booze, stupid".

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
How far will Androids market share drop when Samsung releases its Tizen OS on their smartphones and tablets later this year.

Well, since the ONLY thing making that OS viable is the application compatibility layer allowing it to run Android apps... I guess it's difficult to see this as any kind of a "lose" for Android.. beyond the fact that most won't see this as a new OS as all, more like a return to the pesky fragmentation...

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I am surprised to see BB go down even after the advent of BB10 and the new range...

Same here. BB10 and the new handsets were supposed to light up the world. Instead they've been greeted with as much interest as the PlayBook. Now the Q10 is out and BB and their supporters up here are crowing about how everyone was just waiting for a mechanical keyboard. I think not. A few yes, but not many. This week CEO of BB was talking to Bloomberg about how "In five years, I see BlackBerry to be the absolute leader in mobile computing". ROFL. Then he went on to say how tablets would be dead in the same period. ROFLexp2. BB will be lucky to still exist in 5 years.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-30/blackberry-ceo-questions-future-of-tablets.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.