Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
When I look up a person's phone number, I see this:

Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless

Does this mean they're on an independent carrier that uses Verizon's towers? Or perhaps a carrier that Verizon just bought?

Does anyone know what that means in relation to the phone number I typed into google?

Thanks!

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I've seen that before. I believe that is what comes up for former Alltel customers before Verizon partially acquired them.

Thanks, so chances are that phone number is on an independent carrier network then...

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
For all intents and purposes, you're on Verizon. The airlines do this all the time with regional carriers. ExpressJet operates a lot of things for United as their Express line. So you'll see "ExpressJet dba United Airlines" when you use their flights (basically all the Embraer-model flights)...

If you had a problem you'd call United in the above example.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Also: Be aware that if the person has ported their number out to a different carrier, telcodata.us and similar databases DO NOT reflect this. They only shows the carrier that was originally assigned that number, and don't track ports. So, all you know for sure is that it originally started out as a Verizon number. It could still be, or it could be ported out to some other carrier.

Example: my cell number, which I've had since 1999, was originally on Sprint. Since then it's been ported to Verizon, then to Cingular (as it was called back then), then T-Mobile, then back to Sprint, and then to AT&T. But if you look it up, it's still listed as a Sprint number.

Kaix

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
I have seen that before, anyone can tell me?
I know this is late. As Mrbrown posted back in 2013 it’s the doing business as. I work for VZW so all my checks and w2s say Cellco Partnership. Some things list it as the full Cellco Partnership dba Verizon Wireless. For a cell phone number it just means the number was originated from VZW regardless of what network it’s currently on.

This if from Dun & Bradstreet (business financials)

Cellco Partnership​

VERIZON WIRELESS
1 Verizon Way
Basking Ridge, NJ, 07920-1025 United States
(908) 306-7000
www.verizonwireless.com
Company Type: Partnership Subsidiary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.