Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Has anyone found any issues with the latest update to Navigon for iphone?
Have iphone 5, and connecting in my car through Jabra Tour...it previously worked reasonably well except sometimes the directions would get a little chopped (ie. Turn right in _ _ _ _ miles)...but in their latest update they mentioned "improvements" to bluetooth...it seems they may have inadvertently caused some new problems...now after almost every spoken line from Navigon, the voice says "CALL ENDED". This NEVER happened previously, and it seems whatever alteration was made to bluetooth handling has caused this.

Anyone else find this?
...I love Navigon on iphone, but this bug is awful!
Thanks!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Navigon never worked with the built-in BT on my 2011 Nissan Murano...I had to settle for the iPhone's (4S) speaker output. Phone calls worked fine, but no Navigon voice output through the car audio.

With the latest update, Navigon is working great through the car audio system - I've used it a couple times and haven't had any instances of the of cut-off commands or call ended as you describe below.

Johnfmackay

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Navigon with Bluetooth

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my Jabra earpiece. Ended up switching to Co-Pilot... works fine. It's a shame as I much prefer the Navigon App.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I'm using a bluetooth to FM transmitter with Navigon that I previously had no problems with... until Navigon decided to "improve" its audio features. The delay in connection now is so bad that it either cuts off the navigating voice altogether or reverts to the internal speaker, despite it being set to use bluetooth. What a mess.

Sent a very angry email to Navigon and asked them to kindly stop tinkering with things that weren't broken to begin with.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
time for feedback..

hey everyone! great to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this...I will DEFINITELY send Garmin my feedback through the link! thanks again.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I got a response yesterday, have to give them props for providing much better responsive support than Navigon did:

Unfortunately the issue you have reported is a known issue that we have seen reported since the last update. With the last update we expanded the Bluetooth capability of the application so it could be used with a wider variety of bluetooth accessories.

However we are seeing that some devices that were capable of properly streaming before are defaulting to use the Hands-Free Bluetooth Profile to handle the audio from the app (which it likely did not use before). This is the Bluetooth technology commonly used to handle phone calls via bluetooth, and it doesn't continuously transmit. Some bluetooth devices that use this profile will not broadcast audio at all times, but instead just try to pick up the audio when it starts to broadcast (resulting in the problems you encountered), while others will handle this normally.

You have discovered the current workaround for this issue though, as playing music through the iPhone will force it to stay engaged with your Bluetooth system, and prevent it from cutting off after every prompt.
We are aware of this inconvenience this causes though on effected devices, and we are hoping to include further optimizations in the next software update for the Navigon app. So I would recommend periodically checking the app store for updates to the Navigon app.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email or contact us at 1-800-800-1020 Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm Friday 8am-5

Since they've acknowledged and know about the issue I'm hoping the bugs will be cleaned up in the next update. :D

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
great to hear you got a response! I filled out the feedback form...
this is about as responsive as you could ask for...great!....I'm still a big supporter of Navigon....It has many features which make it superior over any other GPS app for iOS I've found....now if I they could just improve the traffic data! :)

300pete

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
I have this exact same problem running navigon on my iPhone4 with i0S 6.1.3 through a Jabra Cruise2.
I updated my i0S software at same time, so thought it was an Apple problem related to bluetooth issues with i0s6.1.3 (which is giving me grief with other things). Gave them a blast via their site.
The Navigon app (which ive had since day of release and recommended to many), is impossible to use since the last navigon update. Will try running with music, but not convenient as I usually listen to the radio.
Glad to have at least discovered the cause of the problem. Thank you to those here for that.
Time to go vent my spleen over at Navigon sites (and maybe a slight appology to Apple, over at theirs) :)

300pete

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
I have now. Thanks for the tip :)
Switching to default fixes the problem, so all good again for me.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.