Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
My ipod touch 5g battery percent fluctuates(i think thats the word). By that i mean my battery is at 56% and it randomly goes up to 58% or higher. Also my ipod touch just died(showing low battery screen) and as soon as i plugged it in to charge it was already at 8%. Then 5-10 min later it is already at 50%. I added the battery percent using ibackupbot program if that has anything to do with it and i was once JB and restored from my JB backup. I am not JB anymore. Hope someone can help:) ask if you need anymore info.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Not so sure about the rules on here about bumping, but it's better to wait a day before bumping.

You enabled an unofficial feature via a roundabout way, did you expect it to work perfectly? I'm guessing it doesn't work correctly due to the method you used to enable it.
Maybe restore and try to enable the percentage again? Or let your iPod drain to 0% and shut itself off so it calibrates the battery percentage.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Strange IPT 5G battery behavior.

I already let my battery die and i will see how my battery plays out over a day or two.
And ok about bumping rules

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
If it's "too much of a hassle"

to fix a problem, why did you care about fixing it then, huh?

To open the app and close then kill it in the BG is the hassle. This is battery life I'm talking about not the battery percent...

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Wow, Op own both Iphone and Ipod touch 5th gen.

Why do u want battery percentage on the Ipod anyway. Apple made it unavailable for a reason. For you phone, u need to be sure that you have enough juice if you are out at night or sumthing but Ipod touch is pure entertainment device so u might as well charge it when it seem low or when the bar move too much to the left, u can pretty much estimate how much you got left.

Like those who apply retinapad on Ipad mini, its just weird.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
for the last time - you do NOT need to kill apps from the multitasking menu, you're wasting your time.

99.9% of the time, you're right. But there are a small number of apps that will eat your battery if you leave them running in the background. For example, TuneIn Radio. Even if I'm not listening to anything, it'll take my battery from 90% to 50% in an hour. I think if you're not listening to anything, it saves up to an hour of radio in a buffer, so you can pause and resume it.

Anyway, to get back on track: Apple didn't make the battery percentage visible on the 5th gen iPod touch for a reason: it's just not that predictable. The iPhone 5 has a 5.45WHr battery, but the iPod touch 5G has a 3.8WHr battery.

Often, my iPod touch 5G's battery status will go red, and it'll tell me there's 20% battery left. Then, a few minutes later, it'll be white again. Then a little later it'll tell me there's 20% battery left again. This never happens on my iPhone 5 (but it did on my nano 4G). I guess there's a little guesswork involved in getting an exact battery percentage, and that's harder to do on smaller batteries where the amount of power being drawn can vary.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
99.9% of the time, you're right. But there are a small number of apps that will eat your battery if you leave them running in the background. For example, TuneIn Radio. Even if I'm not listening to anything, it'll take my battery from 90% to 50% in an hour. I think if you're not listening to anything, it saves up to an hour of radio in a buffer, so you can pause and resume it.

Anyway, to get back on track: Apple didn't make the battery percentage visible on the 5th gen iPod touch for a reason: it's just not that predictable. The iPhone 5 has a 5.45WHr battery, but the iPod touch 5G has a 3.8WHr battery.

Often, my iPod touch 5G's battery status will go red, and it'll tell me there's 20% battery left. Then, a few minutes later, it'll be white again. Then a little later it'll tell me there's 20% battery left again. This never happens on my iPhone 5 (but it did on my nano 4G). I guess there's a little guesswork involved in getting an exact battery percentage, and that's harder to do on smaller batteries where the amount of power being drawn can vary.

Thank you for explaining that. Now I'm fine with it now that I know others have the same experience as me.

Sent from my iPod touch 5G using Tapatalk 2

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My ipod touch 5g battery percent fluctuates(i think thats the word). By that i mean my battery is at 56% and it randomly goes up to 58% or higher. Also my ipod touch just died(showing low battery screen) and as soon as i plugged it in to charge it was already at 8%. Then 5-10 min later it is already at 50%. I added the battery percent using ibackupbot program if that has anything to do with it and i was once JB and restored from my JB backup. I am not JB anymore. Hope someone can help:) ask if you need anymore info.

I do know I get small jumps in the battery indicator when the iPod battery temperature changes.

What I suggest you do is power off your iPod let it sit powered off for 30 seconds then power it back on. I find that about once a month or so that I need to do that and battery life remains reasonable. If I don't do that, it seems the battery life gets shorter and shorter. And this has nothing to do with whether or not I've closed apps as I've tried that and it didn't help.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013

Happens to me on my iPod touch 3G also. The battery percentage won't work correctly since it was applied via a hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.