Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I purchased a late 2012 27" iMac about 4 days ago and instead of taking the thing apart and putting my SSD on the inside I decided to try a thunderbold SSD instead. I purchased a LaCie Rugged took it apart and put my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD in it (Got the 1TB HDD model).

Everything works great the machine boots just fine, everything is real fast can't really tell the difference between having it internal vs. thunderbolt.

I only have one problem when I try and wake the machine after it's been a sleep for a while the SSD does not turn on. The light on the LaCie is not on. I can login to my iMac but as soon as I try and do anything it will freeze since its waiting for the drive. If turn the iMac off and turn it on again everything works perfect.

Has anyone else had this issue or figured out a fix for it?

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Change Energy Saver settings to where the Display sleeps but the iMac never sleeps....

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I purchased a late 2012 27" iMac about 4 days ago and instead of taking the thing apart and putting my SSD on the inside I decided to try a thunderbold SSD instead. I purchased a LaCie Rugged took it apart and put my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD in it (Got the 1TB HDD model).

Everything works great the machine boots just fine, everything is real fast can't really tell the difference between having it internal vs. thunderbolt.

I only have one problem when I try and wake the machine after it's been a sleep for a while the SSD does not turn on. The light on the LaCie is not on. I can login to my iMac but as soon as I try and do anything it will freeze since its waiting for the drive. If turn the iMac off and turn it on again everything works perfect.

Has anyone else had this issue or figured out a fix for it?

Hi,

The scenario you're experiencing is one of the reasons its not recommended to have your boot drive on an external. There are too many factors that can interrupt the boot or wake-up and cause corruption. Cables get disconnected, power to the drive fails, etc. These issues are even worse if the computer is on and running if the disk is disconnected.

As the other posted recommended, you will need to adjust your power settings to not sleep or, if possible on your model/OS, set the ports to remain powered.

Please give us a call or send us a ticket if you would like to talk to a technician here directly for more information on your particular setup. http://www.lacie.com/mystuff or 503-844-4500 (USA).

~mn, LaCie

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Hi,

The scenario you're experiencing is one of the reasons its not recommended to have your boot drive on an external. There are too many factors that can interrupt the boot or wake-up and cause corruption. Cables get disconnected, power to the drive fails, etc. These issues are even worse if the computer is on and running if the disk is disconnected.

As the other posted recommended, you will need to adjust your power settings to not sleep or, if possible on your model/OS, set the ports to remain powered.

Please give us a call or send us a ticket if you would like to talk to a technician here directly for more information on your particular setup. http://www.lacie.com/mystuff or 503-844-4500 (USA).

~mn, LaCie

100% agree that you should not use an external as a boot drive....

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi,

~mn, LaCie

100% agree that you should not use an external as a boot drive....

Absolute nonsense. The problem is either the Lacie enclosure or the Vertex 3. I suspect the Vertex, and don't recommend OCZ to anyone anymore (and yes, I owned several). But as a side-note, the Lacie enclosure is not particularly great, either, based on reading reports with SSDs inside.

MANY of us, myself included, have been using the Seagate Backup Plus with a Samsung 830/840/840 Pro inside as a boot drive with NO issues. And yes, I've got my power settings set TO sleep, so that my other connected drives go to sleep. This has no effect on my external SSD coming back to life from sleep.

And actually, I HIGHLY recommend an external boot SSD, especially over a spinning internal disk. Mine has no issues waking from sleep, and I've been using my Seagate Backup Plus + Samsung 830 256GB since December, 2012 on my new 27" iMac. Not one single issue, ever.

So, to the OP, it's either your enclosure or the Vertex 3. I suggest ditching both and starting over with a tried and tested combo like mine. Many-a-thread on these boards full of praise for the Seagate + Samsung combos.

And don't listen to the naysayers about an external boot drive. It makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
I am running os x off of a rugged lacie ssd and i have no issues with waking from sleep. It runs perfectly. I have not changed the ssd inside though so could be a problem with the ssd

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Not every SSD sleeps well. Perhaps going back to the original SSD might reveal more reliable operation.

Or use an SSD that others report success.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
A firmware update fixed the issue I was having. I did the firmware update before but I guess it didn't actually do it, or do it to the newest version. After checking and doing the update again the SSD now sleeps perfect and works just as it would if it was internal.

Performance is great and I have no other issues.

Not every SSD sleeps well. Perhaps going back to the original SSD might reveal more reliable operation.

Or use an SSD that others report success.

I didn't get one with a SSD. I got the one with the 1 TB HDD. Was cheaper then a SSD one.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
A firmware update fixed the issue I was having. I did the firmware update before but I guess it didn't actually do it, or do it to the newest version. After checking and doing the update again the SSD now sleeps perfect and works just as it would if it was internal.

Performance is great and I have no other issues.

I didn't get one with a SSD. I got the one with the 1 TB HDD. Was cheaper then a SSD one.

Glad a firmware update fixed it. Hopefully you don't have any other issues with the Vertex 3. Can you run BlackMagic speed test (free on the Apple App Store) and give us your results with that combo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.