Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
We don't really care for marketshare. But since android fanboys do. we just like to remind them once a while that apple is winning in market and profit share then we will watch them cry. :rolleyes:

Two years ago, you heard about nothing but marketshare from the hardcore contingent. It was always heralded as an example of how the best sells because people want the best.

But as soon as Apple lost the majority stake in the mobile sector...pfft...gone. It's now an unimportant vector.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Two years ago, you heard about nothing but marketshare from the hardcore contingent. It was always heralded as an example of how the best sells because people want the best.

But as soon as Apple lost the majority stake in the mobile sector...pfft...gone. It's now an unimportant vector.

Or ... wait for it ... there are hundreds of thousands of different people on this forum all with differing views and opinions.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Agreed. There is ample evidence of this in many areas.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
And yet paying their fair share of taxes to the country that allowed them the opportunity to prosper is unthinkable.

Folks, why do you think Apple has so much money and almost every one else in the US is in debt ?

Image.ashx

LINK - - - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/b...rofit-to-avoid-taxes.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I didn't say everyone thought that. Just those certain few.

Do you care to point out people who have flip-flopped? I have a feeling, and mind you I could be wrong, that you don't have anyone whose view has actually flip-flopped and are just generalizing based on different people posting different opinions.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No there isn't.

Most people following MacRumours for any period of time would realize that there's an incredible bias towards "Apple good, everyone else bad, Samsung is the spawn of Satan" in a large number of the posts. (Although the Samsung part is fairly recent, since Samsung has been kicking Apple's butt.)

"Market share" was dismissed as unimportant when Apple was a computer company and Apple OSX was in the single digits.

"Market share" was often touted as decisive evidence of Apple's dominance when certain classes of Itoys hit double-digit or majority positions.

Now that many of the Itoys are slipping, "market share" is being dismissed again. And, even worse, Apple fans are bringing out the tired old "shipped doesn't mean sold" mantra - as if retailers would continue to order devices that weren't selling.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Most people following MacRumours for any period of time would realize that there's an incredible bias towards "Apple good, everyone else bad, Samsung is the spawn of Satan" in a large number of the posts. (Although the Samsung part is fairly recent, since Samsung has been kicking Apple's butt.)

Oh this I'm sure there is ample evidence of. There's definitely Apple fanboys here. What I was saying there is no ample evidence of is Renzatic's post that people two years ago said marketshare is important and now they say it's not. If there's ample evidence, like DeathChill said let's see proof of one person who flip-flopped?

"Market share" was dismissed as unimportant when Apple was a computer company and Apple OSX was in the single digits.

Yes, I'm sure it was.

"Market share" was often touted as decisive evidence of Apple's dominance when certain classes of Itoys hit double-digit or majority positions.

Yes, I'm sure this is true too.

Now that many of the Itoys are slipping, "market share" is being dismissed again. And, even worse, Apple fans are bringing out the tired old "shipped doesn't mean sold" mantra - as if retailers would continue to order devices that weren't selling.

Yep, this is also happening. But it's not the same person doing it. So just like Deathchill said:

DeathChill said:
Or ... wait for it ... there are hundreds of thousands of different people on this forum all with differing views and opinions.

So the point is, what is the big deal if different people have different opinions about the marketshare topic?

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
I think AidenShaw made a good post above.

Yes, he did, and I agreed with all his points but he basically said that people have differing opinions. Is that what you're saying there is ample evidence of? If so, I agree with you.

If you're saying there's ample evidence of people flip-flopping, nope there isn't, I haven't seen it once, and neither have you.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Hey, that's great, more apple stats. Meanwhile, other competitors continue focusing on new products (whilst Apple rest on whatever laurels they have left!)

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Do you care to point out people who have flip-flopped? I have a feeling, and mind you I could be wrong, that you don't have anyone whose view has actually flip-flopped and are just generalizing based on different people posting different opinions.

It is called the AppleScruff Syndrome ;)

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005

Not only was market share dismissed, it was taken as a sign by how discerning Apple buyers were and how "exclusive" the product was. It's idiotic.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Hey, that's great, more apple stats. Meanwhile, other competitors continue focusing on new products (whilst Apple rest on whatever laurels they have left!)

I know, I can't believe apple announced the other day that they have completely stopped development on any new products. What were they thinking???

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
and we can't forget the "shipped not sold" distinction.

while Apple sells every single iPhone it ever ships, the vast majority of Android phones are just sitting in warehouses, gathering dust.
can't find the original post, but I can't forget you suggesting everyone to sell everything and use the money for buying AAPL shares back in September, around 700$ quote.:D

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I've tried the equivalent of using the iPhone for Internet access with the current-model iPod touch and did NOT find it a pleasant experience--it felt like using an iPad "writ really small." Particularly bad is Twitter and Facebook access with their official apps, where the text was difficult to read when displayed in portrait mode.

Small wonder why I have a Samsung Galaxy S III for my cellphone--at least the Twitter and Facebook apps are actually readable.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Funniest thing is, I could say the exact opposite. Most people following MacRumors for any period of time after 2008-9 would realise that there's an incredible bias against Apple. That's when Google started competing with Apple and all this started. The forums quickly filled with posters who didn't even own any Apple hardware but were bashing Apple devices. Some of them certainly are paid for that, but most aren't. So for anyone following this site since the early 2000's, I for one am amazed at the Apple hatred I'm seeing in these forums lately.

Not true. Even back then when we had news that Apple gained 1% more marketshare in US, it was certainly good news and I don't remember that many "marketshare doesn't matter" posts at least in threads reporting Apple gaining marketshare.

Well, the only device Apple has kept an almost monopoly on marketshare ever is iPod, and it wasn't that hard to begin with since nobody competed with Apple on that anyway. Other players just let it go because they were way too late.

I don't think market share is being dismissed again. People who think marketshare mattered always said it mattered. It's just different people having different opinions on this board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.