Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Go ahead, make some guesses

Imma wonderin'

How quickly do we usually see prices drop on the current models when an new line is released?

How much do they usually drop by?

Imma also wonderin'

If anyone has any thoughts on the next rMBP not having soldered RAM. Why did they do that again? Something about needing the space was it? Anyone thing this is something that could easily be changed for the next release?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
True, but I'm not saying they should use Air's LCD in Pro. The drop in image quality is not caused by its higher PPI/resolution, but rather by the fact that Air's LCD needs to be thinner and probably cheaper as well.
Since there's plenty of space in 13" Pro LCD shell, Apple could use a decent 1440x900 panel which would retain the qualities of the current LCDs while bumping the res. I cannot imagine how that could be a problem...
It is with regard to retina displays. The best retina mode is when it exactly doubles the resolution. They would not want to have the best retina mode to have a lower resolution than the non-retina predecessor. And once you go retina, different resolutions can be selected by the user.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
the macbook pros will be future proof.
fast WIFI ac, SSD with min 768gb or would be happy with the new and cheaper 960gb ssd.
Bro, there is no such thing as future proof, unless they plan on going out of business shortly.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Does that hurt you, NO, plenty of people still want an optical drive and plenty of people still use wired network.

I think it is actually excellent news.

Also, some people need kensignton locks and dvd drives in a business environment.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Do you think next 13 retina will gain a real Gpu or a real Quad core?Or both?
I mean..without its just an overpriced gorgeous Air.

I'm also interested in see which Iris-Gpu Intel will place in the Air ..if GT2 or GT3.
Do you think we have to wait till 2014 to see all MACS going Quad core Cpus and the notebooks-Ios devices to gain retina? (and Imac?..too big i suppose to be affordable..perhaps Retina will land on them close to the Apple HdTV..if ever existed..)

----------

Yep.... While i'm still happy the Macbook Pro non-Ratina will stick around (this includes the 15-inch too? ), it still kind of sits in-between an ultra-book, and a Air, with all the benefits of ports and storage.

As far i can understand the 15 Not Retina...has what the 13 Retina hasn't and viceversa.
The 15 got no Retina but Quad core and Gpu( with modest 512 but Real Gpu).
The 13 got Retina but no Quad or Gpu...
IF only they could merge it in a real 13 Retina Quad Core plus a Bto Gpu...

Last edited:

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
+1

let's keep the air thin & efficient, retina isn't needed...

I can't believe how many people...
1) Don't want a retina MBA
2) Think it isn't possible

The 'iPhone 4' is how many years old?

Apple please just make two 11" MBA versions: One without retina that is cheap... and one for me that is top of the line. It is an instant sale for me if it is under $2.5K!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
They disappear

Imma wonderin'

How quickly do we usually see prices drop on the current models when an new line is released?

How much do they usually drop by?

The current models disappear from the catalog when a new model appears - so the question is meaningless. Some may appear in the refurb store for a brief period.

If anyone has any thoughts on the next rMBP not having soldered RAM. Why did they do that again?

Apple did it to force you to only buy Apple memory at the time of purchase - and to pressure you to buy more than you might need right now because it is impossible to upgrade later. Cha-ching - keep the margins high.

Apple might try to justify it by saying that it lets them make the rMBP 0.2 mm thinner. Does 0.2 mm matter? Does 2 mm even matter?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The current models disappear from the catalog when a new model appears - so the question is meaningless. Some may appear in the refurb store for a brief period.

Apple did it to force you to only buy Apple memory at the time of purchase - and to pressure you to buy more than you might need right now because it is impossible to upgrade later. Cha-ching - keep the margins high.

Apple might try to justify it by saying that it lets them make the rMBP 0.2 mm thinner. Does 0.2 mm matter? Does 2 mm even matter?
Who is forced to buy a rMBP?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Who is forced to buy a rMBP?

Huh?

How did you even come up with that question? Just being cantankerous?

My comment was that once you've decided to buy an Apple with soldered memory, you are forced to choose how much memory with the Apple tax to buy at the time that you purchase - since you're locked into that until you trash the Apple.

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I can't believe how many people...
1) Don't want a retina MBA
2) Think it isn't possible

The 'iPhone 4' is how many years old?

Apple please just make two 11" MBA versions: One without retina that is cheap... and one for me that is top of the line. It is an instant sale for me if it is under $2.5K!

haha, the thoughts are more like this:

• how old are the retina notebooks apple actually have released?
• what are the benefits of pushing all those pixels around?
• are those notebooks plauged by any issues?
• are all software retina-optimized and in some cases - will it ever be?
• is there any difference in moving pixels around on a small 3,5" phone-screen vs a 11" notebook-screen?
• is the technology really ready yet?

nah, retina is nice - but not really necessary just yet. let real features lead instead of inefficient eyecandy!

Last edited:

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I believe Apple will back to two-target product schemes on its mac book line:

STD and PRO.

the new MacBook (w/o any other appelative) being former Macbook Air, now with retina display (at some moment this year the entire Macbook Line will be on retina, most delayed will be former MBA due the Haswell delays (4Q13).

and Of Course the MacBook Pro with Retina Display but w/o the "retina" name.

Also Is feasible Later will se some iMac Pro and mini Mac pro too(4Q13/2Q14), for CPU/GPU Hungry users w/o Xeon CPU, later 4Q13/2Q14 maybe available an all new Mac Pro with Xeon and UHD Cinema Displays.

twombles62

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I believe Apple will back to two-target product schemes on its mac book line:

STD and PRO.

the new MacBook (w/o any other appelative) being former Macbook Air, now with retina display (at some moment this year the entire Macbook Line will be on retina, most delayed will be former MBA due the Haswell delays (4Q13).

and Of Course the MacBook Pro with Retina Display but w/o the "retina" name.

Also Is feasible Later will se some iMac Pro and mini Mac pro too(4Q13/2Q14), for CPU/GPU Hungry users w/o Xeon CPU, later 4Q13/2Q14 maybe available an all new Mac Pro with Xeon and UHD Cinema Displays.

Ahh yes, I can't wait to contract the Macbook STD.

negsrus

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Thank God for cMBP

The MBPr is a piece of trash. It's way too damn thin!! Why was is such a big deal to make it so much thinner!? Video editors after video editors complain time and time again that you can't do video editing on a working MBPr for more than about 4 hours before it overheats!!! That's a joke! Apple really screwed up! Who the hell was saying, "damn I really wish my MBP was thinner"!? We all just want a laptop with good specs with quality components, that's intuitive and easy to use, that doesn't overheat! I would pay the rip off price Apple charges if this were the case!

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
The MBPr is a piece of trash. It's way too damn thin!! Why was is such a big deal to make it so much thinner!? Video editors after video editors complain time and time again that you can't do video editing on a working MBPr for more than about 4 hours before it overheats!!! That's a joke! Apple really screwed up! Who the hell was saying, "damn I really wish my MBP was thinner"!? We all just want a laptop with good specs with quality components, that's intuitive and easy to use, that doesn't overheat! I would pay the rip off price Apple charges if this were the case!

I personally like to have an optical drive however even if they kept the Macbook Pro the same size as before add the retina screen and maybe options for an optical drive or more hard drive space, battery life? I doubt most people would miss the current really thin Macbook if it was never released. I would focus on the power of the system, battery life etc..

chesuk

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
I have never ever updated or changed the battery, the RAM or the HDD of any personal laptop in my life. Very very very few people do those stuff.

EVERYONE I know personally know with a cMBP (about 10) has upgraded RAM and/or HDD/SSD

Interestingly almost all have replaced the optical drive with a 2nd HDD/SSD so I think the price+upgradabilty is more of a selling point than the optical

I have a 2011 13" MBP with 16GB RAM and 2*512GB SSD - it performs pretty well but sometimes I could do with the extra cores of the 15" but I don't want the size - the only dimension I don't care too much about is thickness which apple seems determined to reduce no matter what the sacrifice

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
haha, the thoughts are more like this:

• how old are the retina notebooks apple actually have released?
• what are the benefits of pushing all those pixels around?
• are those notebooks plauged by any issues?
• are all software retina-optimized and in some cases - will it ever be?
• is there any difference in moving pixels around on a small 3,5" phone-screen vs a 11" notebook-screen?
• is the technology really ready yet?

nah, retina is nice - but not really necessary just yet. let real features lead instead of inefficient eyecandy!

Technical people dismiss it as 'eye candy'. End users recognize that 'it looks more like paper and it is so much easier on my eyes when I look at it for long period of time'.

Someday the only displays that you can see the pixels on will be on display in a museum. The beautification of everyday technical things (like what a retina screen adds) is where Steve was years ahead of others (who still deny its validity).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Someday the only displays that you can see the pixels on will be on display in a museum. The beautification of everyday technical things (like what a retina screen adds) is where Steve was years ahead of others (who still deny its validity).

Simulated reality, so real you can't tell... What do you think we're all living in?

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
are you sure they are going to keep the antiglare option after the refresh?

They might drop the 15" mbp altogether and just keep the retina version on the 15" model.

They've done it before. Just keep the 13" mbp as a cheap entry level machine for those who don't want to pay the extra for the retina mbp.

id b so mad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.