Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage2.png
EA has announced in a blog post that its Maxis studio will release The Sims 4 for the Mac and PC in 2014.

The company released no other details about the game, but said more information would be forthcoming.
Today we are revealing to our top fans the fact that The Sims(TM) 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.

The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.
On another note, the new Sim City will arrive on the Mac June 11th.

Article Link: EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014

lilianeloirinha

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

The Sims and Simcity were pretty cool when I had Windows 95 and games were limited to what your computer could run (and store on your cramped hard drive). That ship has sailed for me a long time ago.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I have a few choice words about EA. But seeing as if I say them here I will get the ban-hammer, I'll keep it to myself.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I know a few people that the main reason they wouldn't get a mac is because they cant run the sims properly without bootcamp and stuff, so this is good news.

Im sure it will be an orgy of EA hate in here but more games are always good thing.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
What sealed this for me was the atrocious AI that's in this game. It's one thing to reverse some "political" DRM decision in the future, but I've seen few, if any, games from EA that have reworked such core concepts. This is one game where I'll look in the history books to make my decision.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
EA tried to prevent piracy, and by doing so created a much bigger problem.

Their customers no longer trust them.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I'm sure it won't be released at the same time on both platforms. So I'm guessing late 2014 release for Mac.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
Unless this game is incredible, The Sims 3 will be my last stop. It's been a great 13 years but I'm ready to get off the Sims upgrade treadmill. x_x

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.

No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

:rolleyes: Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".

And yet tons of people enjoy those games.

A lot of EA games are fun.

And no, not all whining on the internet is justified. A lot of EA hate isn't.

:rolleyes: Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.

Wait.

A company cares just about money? I mean, it's like you're telling me that the main purpose of a company is to make money or something.

Nah, that can't be true. It's just EA.

:rolleyes:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...

This is what we call a 'valid complaint'.

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be that way. Maybe they'll have learned their lesson. We can only wait until the first reviews show up (after release) and hope for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.