Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I love the idea of documents in the cloud, but something is missing IMO. I thought that if I save a rtf via TextEdit in iCloud, any app on iOS that handles rtf and has access to iCloud would see the file. Apparently this isn't the case and I haven't found any way to access those files from iOS. What am I missing here?

Thanks..

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Actually you can use iCloud to sync the files with your IOS device using either the GoodReader or iFiles apps. You won't be able to edit them but you can read them. I have posted instructions over in the iCloud message board but here is the quick and dirty, using GoodReader (iFiles is similar) -

Install GoodReader on your iPad or iPhone. Go into the GoodReader Settings and enable iCloud use.

On your Mac, go to the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder (this is a hidden folder, press the Option key as you click on Go) and look for a folder that has GoodReader in the name.

In that folder, make an alias for the Documents folder and move it to either your Dock, Desktop, Side Bar or anywhere for that matter. Then move your text files or other files to the folder. I use it for PDF's myself.

The files will then sync to the GoodReader app and you can view them there. Since GoodReader isn't an editor, you can't change them of course; but you can view them.

Works great for me.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
You are not missing anything. Same for PDFs and Preview. iCloud is extremely limited. Use Dropbox or Google Drive for files instead

I would also recommend DropBox. iCloud isn't as transparent or easy to share/view files across platforms. With DropBox, you can access all your files via an app on your iPhone, a folder on your Mac/PC, or through any web browser. Also, they can be organized your way and not Apple's app-based way.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
If you have multiple Macs you have access on both - you also no have a backup so all your files are available when you upgrade your Mac.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
I use cloud mate on Mac and IOS to do this: http://www.rwe-uk.com/app/cloud-mate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.