Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supernova777

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
What do u think? do u think apple will announce new mac pros on june 3rd 2013? :cool::cool:

haswell cpus are slated to be released in 26 days guys!! SO STOKED! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

i so need a new mac pro...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
What do u think? do u think apple will announce new mac pros on june 3rd 2013? :cool::cool:

Intel is only introducing CPUs in the class that go into Mac Mini , iMac , MBP , and MBA on June 3rd. They are all 4 cores or less and have integrated graphics. Only the MBP and maybe the MBA are likely due for June updates though. ( The appropriate MBA components may not be shipping even though announced. )

There is a possibility that Apple could introduce something different from a Mac Pro with Core i solution in June but it isn't very likely. Or at least not very likely to be labeled a Mac Pro. If Apple changes directions they'll need a new product name.

It is huge misconception to think that Intel introduces a refresh of their entire CPU package line up at one time. They don't. The mobile solutions are more important strategically to them than workstation solutions so they are introduced first. The larger ( > 4 core solutions ) only come when the manufacturing processes are more mature (higher yields). At this point, the microarchitecture changes are trailing about 12 months behind on the larger die products.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
It is huge misconception to think that Intel introduces a refresh of their entire CPU package line up at one time. They don't. The mobile solutions are more important strategically to them than workstation solutions so they are introduced first. The larger ( > 4 core solutions ) only come when the manufacturing processes are more mature (higher yields). At this point, the microarchitecture changes are trailing about 12 months behind on the larger die products.

Aren't the new Xeon chips not slated until Q4 or even Q1 2014? At this point I'm thinking about just loading my '09 Quad with some SSDs and more RAM to hold me over. I thought about an iMac but the cost of the i7 + RAM + External Thunderbolt drives is just as much as a 6c Mac Pro currently.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

haswell cpus are slated to be released in 26 days guys!! SO STOKED! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

i so need a new mac pro...

Mac Pros will (presumably) get server-class processors, which come about a year after the consumer versions. This means no Haswell server processors until 2014.

However, the Ivytown processors (based on Ivy Bridge) will come out this year and that's what the Mac Pro should get.

12 cores per chip. Anybody want a 24-core Mac Pro?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Aren't the new Xeon chips not slated until Q4 or even Q1 2014?

A subset. Just not the subset that Apple is likely to use if proceeding on natural Mac Pro evolutionary path (Xeon E5 1600 & 2600 )

General overview.
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013032101_Launch_schedule_of_Intel_Xeon_processors.html

Xeon E3 v3 ( "Haswell") are due in June-July
[http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013032701_Details_of_Xeon_E3-1200_v3_Haswell_processors.html ]

Xeon E5 1600 & 2600 v2 ( "Ivy Bridge") are due Q3 (more likely second half of Q3)
[ http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/...upcoming_Intel_Xeon_E5_v2_and_E7_v2_CPUs.html ]

Xeon E5 4600 v2 are due Q1 '14
Xeon E7 v2 are due Q4

[while not technically E5 1600 the Ivy-Bridge-E is same foundation die.
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/...idge-E_extreme_CPUs_to_launch_in_Q3_2013.html
]

Pragmatically, if Intel follows same pattern as last year though the E5 1600 v2 ad announce but not really ship in volume to system vendors for a couple of months ( 2012 March announce ... no mainstream volume ships till May ). In that sense they could slide to Q4 ( August -> October ).

Given Intel is pulling Xeon 3500-3600 series from the retail market in September though I don't expect as a long of a delay this time.

At this point I'm thinking about just loading my '09 Quad with some SSDs and more RAM to hold me over.

There is not firm foundation to support that Apple is going to tightly track Intel's Xeon E5 updates. They didn't do it last year. Or the year before. Or the year before that. They screwed up to the point where they can't ship product to EU Markets right now. Smooth , effective product management.... not really in evidence.

There is bound to be some tracking though Q4 is the last window Apple has to hit the expectations they set by saying they were going to deliver in 2013. By beginning of Q4 there isn't much time left to deliver.

I thought about an iMac but the cost of the i7 + RAM + External Thunderbolt drives is just as much as a 6c Mac Pro currently.

Apple RAM for a 27" iMac isn't necessary. It is also doubtful the single CPU package Mac Pro will come come with more RAM than an iMac. If using E5 1600's most likely four 2GB DIMMs.

----------

Did you just pull that date out of your ass?

No.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013042801_Intel_reveals_launch_date_of_Haswell_architecture.html

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...ip-shot-4th-generation-intel-core-coming-soon

Now assigning what will be announced on that day to a future Mac Pro .... that's is suspect.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Pragmatically, if Intel follows same pattern as last year though the E5 1600 v2 ad announce but not really ship in volume to system vendors for a couple of months ( 2012 March announce ... no mainstream volume ships till May ). In that sense they could slide to Q4 ( August -> October ).

That is disheartening. I purchased the 4c 2009 model when I started my business but now that it's really grown I want to upgrade my machine as I'm doing more photography and video work. I just don't want to drop $3.5k on 2010 tech.

Apple RAM for a 27" iMac isn't necessary. It is also doubtful the single CPU package Mac Pro will come come with more RAM than an iMac. If using E5 1600's most likely four 2GB DIMMs.

I should have clarified I would purchase OEM RAM to include in the iMac but because you have to buy in sets the 32GB (4x 8GB) is about $300. The OWC 2TB Raid External + TB box is another $300. Add that to the BTO price of a i7 iMac / 680MX / Fusion Drive / Applecare it's around $3,500 USD.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
No, not a chance, Apple never releases anything on Mondays.;)

Don't bet on that. WWDC 2013 June 10-14 (Monday-Friday). The probability that absolutely nothing gets released at WWDC's keynote Monday is pretty small. If it was a 'normal' press release product announcement... yes those are more highly likely on a Tuesday.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac Pro that Monday. However, no MBA and no MBP seems a bit dubious given Intel's "Haswell" announcements a week earlier that target those classes of Personal Computer. At least one of those two could be upgraded. If Apple was augmenting or replacing the Mac Pro (with a more limited I/O , smaller box with "Haswell" foundation) that is a less likely but non zero probability candidate for that timeframe.

Last edited:

supernova777

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
well this wait is killing me personally. im waiting to buy a new mac pro or macbook pro....... i hate waiting:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.