Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
Your hands are not tied at all. You consciously make a choice when you purchase a product. If it really mattered to you wouldn't use them.

It's not my job to offer you. Then again Apple once again is the Largest Market Cap company in the world. They seem to be doing just fine without you.

In terms of electronics I don't have any options, trust me, I 've looked. Problem with apple is that they tout that they are all for improving working conditions, while others who are as guilty as they are, are not being hypocrites claiming that they are doing something about it when they are not.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Great idea.

Hopefully there will be some cool feature like 4K resolution.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Let me see... According to the first paragraph, Foxconn wants to go into TV market to diversify its client base away from Apple, but by the fourth paragraph this move constitutes a hint that it will be manufacturing TVs for Apple soon. Impeccable logic here...

Foxconn makes products for companies other than Apple. Dell and HP, for starters. Apple just happens to be their largest customer % $ wise. Obviously there are only a few PC makers so if Foxconn wants to reduce its reliance on Apple $ then it has to diversify into other electronic devices not dominated by Apple.

Sure it will make TVs for Apple if Apple gives them a contract, but also for Sharp or Toshiba or anyone else. Apple isn't going to dominate the TV world like iPhones or iPods or iPads. Too much existing competition and you can already buy excellent TVs for cheap. So very hard market for Apple unless they have something extremely novel in the way of content packages.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If apple is sure and make this step in tv line im sure they have something different in this product. Remember in 2007, already strong brands like Nokia/Samsung/Motorola in mobile industry, but all of them after that follow apple in terms of what a mobile should be and should do.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple for now and for ever dictates the future of products(the recipe of what will be). They do that with iPhone, with macbook air, with ipad in 2010, with retina in mobile, then in iPads, then in laptops.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Does anyone read the titles before posting an article? This title sounds so awkward.

It's very clunky and sounds like a high school student trying to pad out an essay. It could have been compressed to:

Foxconn Push Hints at Apple Television

Says it all without the verbosity.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
But it needs to absorb excess LCD panels produced by the Sakai factory to take advantage of the lower manufacturing cost per unit. Therefore, Foxconn negotiates with partners to sell the television at or below its production cost.

I'd love to see the spreadsheet that shows the rationale for the overproduction.
I imagine the logic goes something like this:

"Our panel unit cost = (total panels) / (total manufacturing cost including capital expenditures).
Thus the more panels we make with the existing capital equipment, the lower the unit cost.
Thus economy of scale requires us to produce more panels than Brands X, Y, and Z will ever order.
Thus we need Foxconn to ship an off-brand TV that uses excess panel production.
Thus Brands X, Y, and Z could lose sales to the off-brand (because the off-brand TVs are cheaper.)
Thus we need to calculate the opportunity costs (lost sales) of Brands X, Y, and Z.
And finally, we need to showBrands X, Y, and Z, that their lower per-unit cost enabled by our panel overproduction
is greater than the opportunity cost resulting from sales of our off-brand TVs using that panel overproduction."

Whew. I'm sure this is all routine for them. Isn't it?

... including the partnership with Vizio, which is the top-selling brand in the United States for television over 60 inches...

Wow. I had no idea Vizio was doing that well.

Foxconn chairman Terry Gou was initially reported to have confirmed that the company was making preparations for an Apple television set, but the company quickly clarified the situation to deny that any specific acknowledgement had been made.

Terry. Dude. Read the contract. All of it.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Only time will tell if this proves to be a success for Apple. I have serious doubts that they should be attempting to compete in a market where established hard brand leaders exist.

Good thing Apple didn't listen to you when they were deciding to create the iPhone. ;)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
My 2 Vizio HDTV's are still working. They get their parts from huge parts bin just like all of the other tv manufactures. And I belong to avsforums.

I also belong to AVS forums and while I don't know much about the quality of Vizio, when they seem to be only selling at Costco and Walmart that says a lot, coupled with their obnoxious bezel designs that can uglify most living rooms I'd say it wouldn't be my first or last choice. AVS forum threads rarely chat about Vizio.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I get what you're saying, but having tried out numerous "Smart" TV's - they're really not that smart. Banner ads, slow and clunky interface, poor selection of almost all terrible apps etc.

This is part of why I think the future of the Smart TV will be the Dumb Display. At least where Apple is concerned.

When the new Mac Pro comes out I won't be shocked if they revamp the Cinema Display line up with at least one larger size like say a 40 inch model. Give it the same lower glare treatment as the new iMacs, plus HDMI inputs, PPI and frame rates high enough to work with 3d blu-ray etc. if not in this run then the revamp. This time might hold off on 4k and 3D but might not if FCPX can work with them.
Then they revamp the little black box with more internal storage for rentals etc and revamp the store offerings using h.265 to make the 1080p higher quality for the same file size add more audio and subtitles etc. revamp iTunes Extras to be more 'disk' like. Push for filling in the gaps with missing seasons, lack of at least 720p etc. hopefully better release dates, prices and no more this 'so awesome you bought the season when it came out with no extras but you have to buy it again with this box set' nonsense like Breaking Bad has done.

Then in a year or two when downloads of 4k, passive 3d etc are viable they can just update the box. Way easier than forcing everyone to update a huge display, particularly if it already has the needed guts to handle such files.

----------

This is Foxconn trying to "skate where the puck is going to be" rather than them having any specific knowledge or details at all about what Apple is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY

It's more a combo of that and of trying to get into other things so they aren't making their money mostly off Apple. I think they see the possible writing on the wall that many of the big contracts might not come to them into total if at all. They see this big political push to make stuff in the US, at least what is going to be sold there, and can't promise they will have that money since there might not be a FoxConn US to handle it.

So they need to diversify and this was a way they could so that AND be prepared if Apple does do something in the TV or TV like display world.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Yes. Major brand. Quit working after one season. That it did so at that price ticks me off.

I see your point but hardly indicative of an industry wide cultural phenomenon that most say Apple would provide if they entered a new marketplace. Last time I checked, the Genius Bar was always overcrowded and most phones are purchased with AppleCare. Hardly an indictment of Apple's perceived superior quality. (Aside - how did you not go back to where you bought the mower from to have it at least serviced or even replaced? Most of the higher end stores that sell mowers such as Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc and generally more than willing to help you out in such situations.)

----------

But I am taken aback by the fact that I am the only one here who 's going to comment on the fact that none of these girls on that production line are noticeably over the age of 18.

"Come here, have a seat."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple has never been a fan of bluray, 1080p I'm sure it will be 4k.

Not of the drives but who knows with downloads. The reason their 1080p wasn't 'blu ray quality' is likely due to the file sizes and the studios not giving them permission to use that level of quality.they want to protect their disks after all.

Starting with Disney, who has long time connections with Apple, I think we'll see experiments in better and better quality files as the codecs are there to create them. I just hope the pricing etc isn't outrageous.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I have odd feeling that what apple may do to gain a foot hold would go combine its IMac tech and Apple TV tech and combine it with 40-60 4k TV. Allow for a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and or gestures and you got a working tv slash Mac computer on your wall. Some will say what about upgrades to the OS? Well it probably will have a solid state hdd and all you would have to do it download the content over wifi. I would love a 60in Mac that can do everything a Mac can do and watch TV at the same time. Apple should buy roku and go to town. I have roku and I haven't looked back at dtv. I can only see folks w no broadband or sport fans or folks needing locals would be the only folks really needing dtv. Locals will be fixed soon this yr by aereo. Apple should jump now and get on board w them so they can offer locals on Apple TV.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
When Sony televisions were the best and most desirable they were made in Rancho Bernardo, California. Then Sony moved to China and they went from being number one to an also brand.
Mitsubishi made tv's in Lake Forest, CA with parts sent from Japan.
Then they moved to Mexico and sourced parts in Mexico to increase profits per unit. The TV's failed early and now you cannot find their TV in any store.
They were the Big Tv King and now they can't give their stuff away.
People in general are not going to pay $1500 for an Apple TV that is nothing more than cheap Chinese crap. The Chinese know that if they build a product that will last 10 years, they lose repeat business, but if it last 2 years or less, they get a new sale.

Aren't iPhones made in China?

Also:

Young Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".
Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.
Young Doc: Unbelievable.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
MOD Note

If you wish to discuss the age of Foxcon Workers, working conditions in China, or other such OT subjects, Please open a thread in the correct forum for such topics.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Apple has never been a fan of bluray, 1080p I'm sure it will be 4k.

Yeah sure ... Each 4K movies will be 60GB whooping download off the iTunes. And that's one with heavy compression quality, otherwise it will be 100GB++. Who's gonna do that? Only for 2 hours of movie content?

Download 1 or 2 movies and I'd reach the cap already. Throttle time :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.