Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
or maybe they're bumping up the ppi specs
I highly doubt it. Increasing the resolution on that tiny display would serve not much purpose.

If they are using an IGZO display, they want it because they can reduce power consumption (backlight). If they would increase the ppi, you would increase complexity of the display again and make it more power hungry.

That would leave not much headroom for an improved A7 core and other peripherals.

On mobile devices you have to be extremely picky about all of that, or your design sacrifices one or the other way too much. It´s always some kind of compromise, anyway. The last thing you want though, is less battery life compared to an iPhone 5. Especially not on an S-class device.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I really don't know what people like you are looking for.

S2 -> S3 = bigger screen, LTE. People freak out and get all happy about how innovative Samsung is.
4S -> 5 = bigger screen, LTE. People complain it's more of the same and Apple is slagging behind.

Its because the 5 looks just like a 4 and 4s. I think if they had redesigned it nobody would be saying that now.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I thought 2013 was supposed to be a big year? wasn't that the thing (or was that 2012)

seems like the YEAR = Fall OR late 3/4 Year
:rolleyes:

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I really don't know what people like you are looking for.

S2 -> S3 = bigger screen, LTE. People freak out and get all happy about how innovative Samsung is.
4S -> 5 = bigger screen, LTE. People complain it's more of the same and Apple is slagging behind.

Samsung's marketing team should get a HUGE bonus because they are doing a bang up job. The moment someone is not impressed with rumors about Apple's impending release the defensive among us start moaning "Well, Samsung only did" ... or "that might be true, but look at what Samsung"... or the tried and true classics: plasticky... copied Apple... gimmicky.

Apple is going to release something: Fact. The product will succeed or fail on it's own merits. Look at it this way, Apple may not be the first to market with new technology because they want to make sure it's proven technology and not just new.

If that doesn't make you feel better you can always take comfort in Apple's huge profit margins. That seems to be the default answer for every criticism.:rolleyes:

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
They will try their best to fill it with flashy gimmicks and Ive designed IOS but it's still not going to compete cos of the smaller screen size! I certainly won't buy an upgrade until they do, I see no point in going from the 4s to the 5! When will Apple ever LEARN! they have lost the plot...jeez I wish Steve was still here..

Flashy Gimmicks? That's Samsung's territory. The only arguably gimmicky feature is Siri (and I personally love it for driving). As for screen size, it is completely based on opinion. If you feel the need to have a phone the size of your head, then go buy one!

Apple doesn't have anything to learn, you do.

Steve Jobs was great, but Ive and Co. will be just fine.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
The "S" series phones are always better than the previous generation. Apple fixes all of the hardware issues with the S version.

I could be wrong but I think he was jabbing at the Galaxy S phones in regards to how they are pathetic...either that or I misinterpreted your comment.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Agree, but will it be in the home-button (e.g. replacing the home button) or somewhere else?

Re the fingerprint sensor, I think the home button would be too small so I presume they will put in on the screen itself or maybe the slide to unlock.

The design, size and shape of the home button is just about the only thing I don't like about the iPhone so I'd certainly love it if they redesigned it but that won't happen this time around.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wow, an updated camera and fingerprint sensor. Apple is really reaching for the future (yawn).

A fingerprint sensor, assuming it works properly, will be both a security upgrade and a huge timesaver. It could also potentially be a major enabling technology for contact-less payments.

It's a pretty major new feature.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
same screen size iPhone 5S = another down turn in Apple stock.

I was hoping that Samsung and the Note 2's success would give apple a wake up call. But I guess not, time to start keeping a look out for my next android device.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
To be honest. I really don't believe Apple will do anything to please your tastes. But the choices are out there now so good luck on your search.

same screen size iPhone 5S = another down turn in Apple stock.

I was hoping that Samsung and the Note 2's success would give apple a wake up call. But I guess not, time to start keeping a look out for my next android device.

----------

Or you can make a giant/bigger phone and have a huge battery to handle all those new upgrades but then that wouldn't be an engineering marvel.

I highly doubt it. Increasing the resolution on that tiny display would serve not much purpose.

If they are using an IGZO display, they want it because they can reduce power consumption (backlight). If they would increase the ppi, you would increase complexity of the display again and make it more power hungry.

That would leave not much headroom for an improved A7 core and other peripherals.

On mobile devices you have to be extremely picky about all of that, or your design sacrifices one or the other way too much. It´s always some kind of compromise, anyway. The last thing you want though, is less battery life compared to an iPhone 5. Especially not on an S-class device.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Maybe.... but this is not Google's or Samsungs forum, right?
Question is.... how entertainin do Apple haters find this forum to waste their precius time trolling? Seriously.... some people!!:eek:

It's the internet, what else are trolls going to do? Have a life?

Hardly! :D

Itpirate

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
NC
IOS 7 will be the selling point. They will add some functionality and it will only run on the 5s (See Siri, or turn by turn navigation....)

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Re the fingerprint sensor, I think the home button would be too small so I presume they will put in on the screen itself or maybe the slide to unlock.

The design, size and shape of the home button is just about the only thing I don't like about the iPhone so I'd certainly love it if they redesigned it but that won't happen this time around.

Well there were rumors today (or was it yesterday) on the MacRumors home page referring to a larger home-button.......

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
A fingerprint sensor, assuming it works properly, will be both a security upgrade and a huge timesaver. It could also potentially be a major enabling technology for contact-less payments.

It's a pretty major new feature.

I think it's far more likely people turn the feature off and never use it after trying it out once or twice:

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/08/70-percent-dont-password-protect-their-phones/

Have you ever lost your cell phone? If so, you’re not alone. 22-percent of people reporting losing theirs, according to a recent survey by Sophos.

What’s even more surprising is that 70% of mobile phone users apparently don’t password protect their phones.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
funny reading the "increase screen size or fail Apple" quotes here.

Apple finally released a larger phone last year and there are still cries for a larger size.

I guess Apple should just announce phone calls on the [large] iPad and say there will be no "catching up to Samsung/Android" for those that want a larger screen, simply make calls with your iPad and now SAMSUNG has to catch up.

Seriously though the size of those Phablets are ridiculous, especially up at ear/face level.

Grandpa1947

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Who cares?

As I see it, this is much ado about nothing. Not near enough of an upgrade to stop me from trying the HTC One. Now, if they would eliminate the necessity to use iTunes to move files around, that would help. A normal wider screen would have sealed the deal.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Now, if they would eliminate the necessity to use iTunes to move files around, that would help.

This! What is such the big deal at Apple with adding a Finder to iOS? It would simplify things so much for more advanced users who have a lot of files to manage. It would enable us to use the iPhone as a WiFi flash drive. Best of all, we wouldn't have to use iTunes's cumbersome interface to transfer files to our iPhones! I get it, Apple wants us to use iCloud. But iCloud's flat file system is worthless for more than a handful of files.

Apple is plagued today by focusing GUIs towards the passive consumption of purchased content. I pine for the days when Apple used to focus their products towards the creation of that content.

----------

funny reading the "increase screen size or fail Apple" quotes here.

Apple finally released a larger phone last year and there are still cries for a larger size.

I guess Apple should just announce phone calls on the [large] iPad and say there will be no "catching up to Samsung/Android" for those that want a larger screen, simply make calls with your iPad and now SAMSUNG has to catch up.

Seriously though the size of those Phablets are ridiculous, especially up at ear/face level.

If there's a market for it, why not release a larger iPhone? There's space for two iPads, surely there is space for two iPhone sizes.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Personally, I'm happy to wait and see what Apple actually release.

And then I will decide if I want it... and if I do, I will buy it.

And if I don't, I will carry on using my current phone, which will still work, just as it does at the moment.

:)

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Yes! 5s is the biggest surprise ever! Totally unexpected !

Oh don't be a fool. The obvious "surprise" is an iWatch.
Other possibilities might include
- a properly-done stylus for iPad
- a TV "system" which might include either the TV screen, or Apple cutting deals with a significant fraction of the content providers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.