Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrobill

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
This update is kind of bullsh-t. They call it a "Critical Update" but the fixes are TRIVIAL...this is mostly about adding the Office 365 compatibility. I wonder if Word will start asking me about Office 365 every other session or something after I install this update?

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
I'm getting tired of this stupid schedule scheme.

Office 2013 was release fall 2012 for PC, why do we have to wait until the middle of 2014 for Mac to have it ?

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Word processing/Spreadsheet apps for OSX is TERRIBLE, lets face it; iWorks, Office for mac are at least 3 years out of date especially compared to the latest MS Word 2013 they desperately need an update.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
It can't, they're proprietary formats.

iWork is fantastic but if you're in a line of business where many people are collaborating on documents you might still need Office.

Of course, many companies are moving to online work like Google docs etc.

Apple really seemed to have squandered an fantastic opportunity with iWork.com

I agree. It is hard to get away from the pack when you are forced in line by their standards. Also, I am not sure what the deal is but Apple seems to kind of doing things half-assed lately with their hardware and software. iWorks.com is a nice example. Apple has all these ideas, products, or software solutions that could be so great but they just chose to ignore and neglect them. Why even bother to start something if your not going to bring it to fruition and also drag it through the years on life support?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This update is kind of bullsh-t. They call it a "Critical Update" but the fixes are TRIVIAL...this is mostly about adding the Office 365 compatibility. I wonder if Word will start asking me about Office 365 every other session or something after I install this update?

Calm yo' self. There are at least 13 changes listed in the KB article, and 365 compatibility (while true, in the sense that you no longer have to uninstall a previous 2011 installation first) is not even one of them. There is the usual array of bug fixes, plus the unexpected inclusion of Calibri Light, which is part of the default Office 2013 styles.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]
Previously, Office for Mac 2011 users had to uninstall Office for Mac and sign up for Office 365. Now, existing Office for Mac 2011 users can easily integrate their software with the subscription service.

Article Link: Microsoft Updates Office for Mac 2011 With Office 365 Compatibility, Bug Fixes

:mad:^^^That is why I dumped MS Office 2011 in January. Needed to put it back on my computer for a job, updated and MS killed it with this 365 BS and I could not access my files. Screw M$ for this subscription based rental idea, and screw Adobe for following their footsteps.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

Office 2013 was release fall 2012 for PC, why do we have to wait until the middle of 2014 for Mac to have it ?
1. Office 2013 was released to the public in january 2013 (according to Wikipedia)
2. Having to wait one year between Office for Windows and Office for Mac is quite normal. For instance, Office 2007 came out in january 2007, whilst Office 2008 for Mac was released in january 2008.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
:mad:^^^That is why I dumped MS Office 2011 in January. Needed to put it back on my computer for a job, updated and MS killed it with this 365 BS and I could not access my files. Screw M$ for this subscription based rental idea, and screw Adobe for following their footsteps.

Your anger should be aimed at the people pirating their software for free over the years which has helped make this happen. However, you can still buy the standalone version of Office alongside Office 365, so calm down. Nothing has changed!

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Outlook is snappier

Yes, Outlook is better. I used to get the beachball a lot.
Now Outlook is snappy and just feels better.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
They are really pushing this 365 issue. I hope they don't plan on pulling an adobe in 2014 because I won't pay the subscription. There are too many alternatives out there.

I know from an Exchange engineer employed by MS that this is the case. Currently MS allows for hybrid installs ("on-premises" and "cloud" that work together), but in the next few years, the on-premises (traditional locally-installed software) will be eliminated in favor of 100% "cloud" resources.

MS Office and Office: Mac are written by two different entities within MS and they don't share resources from what I've read. The Mac version is written by the Mac Business Unit, a bastard step-child of MS. The MBU has it's own developers and development schedules. However, I do wish the MS mother-ship (as I call it) would combine so that we have feature parity. But the cynic in me says that is exactly the point. MS doesn't want feature parity so it can push Windows over Mac OS.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
How soon before Microsoft only offers Office via subscription the way Adobe is offering Creative Cloud?

Apple, where is iWork '13 or '14 already??? :(

M

Mr.damien

comparing office to iwork is like comparing ferrari to fiat punto. iwork can do basic , but office simply owns it with features.

This is only valid for excel. Keynote destroy PowerPoint and Pages is like Word (some strengh and weakness). Much prefer it on the mac than word.

BTW, I never saw Office run like a ferrari, your comparison is wrong...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

I've never seen someone so upset about an added feature. Especially this late in a product's life cycle. Office 2011 is not subscription based, and Microsoft even penned a blog post saying what Adobe did was "too soon".

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
This is only valid for excel. Keynote destroy PowerPoint and Pages is like Word (some strengh and weakness). Much prefer it on the mac than word.

BTW, I never saw Office run like a ferrari, your comparison is wrong...

There really are two different user bases:

The casual user who creates documents for their own use and has little if no need to share them. iWorks (and Open Office as well) work quite well in that scenario.

The business user who routinely shares files for others to use ands edit as well as get files to do the same. Compatibility is key and iWorks does not cut it there; you need Office.

The Ferrari analogy is apt- many features in an expensive to buy and maintain package.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I've never seen someone so upset about an added feature. Especially this late in a product's life cycle. Office 2011 is not subscription based, and Microsoft even penned a blog post saying what Adobe did was "too soon".

"Too soon"? Sounds like they have plans to do so, then, as soon as people have been brainwashed into thinking subscription schemes make sense for desktop software.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Or maybe you've never used iWork. Excel is better with functions then numbers is. But for most other things iWork does the job very well. I'd say pages is just as good as word and many people (myself included) prefer keynote to powerpoint.

For personal use, I find Pages and Keynote vastly superior to MS Office alternatives.

But for business? Just a fraction of users have iWork. And the compatibility of iWork to Office is a joke. So, when doing business documents, Office really is the only option in most cases.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Not entirely true. Keynote, though not updated since 2009, still is better than PowerPoint in many respects.
LOL! That pretty much sums up Apple's *interest* in the enterprise market.

With Apple, it always takes a 3rd party to give OSX true meaning and worth to those of us in the corporate world.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
1. Office 2013 was released to the public in january 2013 (according to Wikipedia)
2. Having to wait one year between Office for Windows and Office for Mac is quite normal. For instance, Office 2007 came out in january 2007, whilst Office 2008 for Mac was released in january 2008.

Same goes for Office 2010 for Windows and Office 2011 for Mac.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
They are really pushing this 365 issue. I hope they don't plan on pulling an adobe in 2014 because I won't pay the subscription. There are too many alternatives out there.

Student prices for 365 are actually pretty good, but most people aren't students unfortunately. Or fortunately depending on how you look at it.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
While I like to be up to date, I've completely replaced MS with iWork in my business and haven't had any issues in doing so. Only reason I still have Office on my iMac is simply because I purchased it and want to keep up to speed on any changes. Otherwise, I've found no personal business need that iWork can't handle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.