Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hi.

I need very reliable Walkie Talkies for work. i had all the from Amazon recommended ones...and they were pretty rubbish. They usually stopped working after a few months, due to the abuse.

Many thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi.

I need very reliable Walkie Talkies for work. i had all the from Amazon recommended ones...and they were pretty rubbish. They usually stopped working after a few months, due to the abuse.

Many thanks.

I use one of these for work. They're a bit pricey though.

Motorola APX 6000

APX_6000_LG.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi.

Many thanks.

I don't know if this is of any use, but following up SandboxGeneral's suggestion...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know if this is of any use, but following up SandboxGeneral's suggestion...

That looks like a link to a Motorola authorized reseller/radio shop. They also list several other models of which I use.

APX 6000
APX 7000 (UHF + VHF)
APX 6500 (mobile)
XTS 5000
XTS 2500
XTS 2500 submersible portable
XTS 1500 1.5
XTL 5000 (mobile)

I should also mention that these radios are capable of "walkie talkie" mode called "direct mode" but, by and large, they're meant for an infrastructure supported radio system. I just built one for my county at a cost of $12 million.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That looks like a link to a Motorola authorized reseller/radio shop. They also list several other models of which I use.

APX 6000
APX 7000 (UHF + VHF)
APX 6500 (mobile)
XTS 5000
XTS 2500
XTS 2500 submersible portable
XTS 1500 1.5
XTL 5000 (mobile)

I should also mention that these radios are capable of "walkie talkie" mode called "direct mode" but, by and large, they're meant for an infrastructure supported radio system. I just built one for my county at a cost of $12 million.
Do you need an FCC license for those?

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do ou need an FCC license for those?

Yes you would need a license for these considering the bands that they operate in. 700MHz, 800MHz (typically, though they can be used in the lower bands like 300MHz and 400MHz) and the APX 7000 also does VHF in the 136MHz to 174MHz range.

Without looking it up, I cannot recall what the free "family bands" are in. Then there is also CB....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes you would need a license for these considering the bands that they operate in. 700MHz, 800MHZ (typically, though they can be used in the lower bands like 300MHz and 400MHz) and the APX 7000 also does VHF in the 136MHz to 174MHz.

Without looking it up, I cannot recall what the free "family bands" are in. Then there is also CB....
CB won't go far, plus it is very crowded. FRS is 462 and 467.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
CB won't go far, plus it is very crowded. FRS is 462 and 467.

These radios in "direct mode" (no supporting infrastructure) have an approximate range of 1 to 3 miles which is dependent on the frequency band used, terrain, heavy vegetation and other factors.

CB can go quite far if one chooses to use an illegal linear amplifier! lol

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
These radios in "direct mode" (no supporting infrastructure) have an approximate range of 1 to 3 miles which is dependent on the frequency band used, terrain, heavy vegetation and other factors.

CB can go quite far if one chooses to use an illegal linear amplifier! lol
Sure, you can get 100 miles out of CB but you will be drowning out everyone else around you.:p

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sure, you can get 100 miles out of CB but you will be drowning out everyone else around you.:p

I've heard people broadcasting on CB from Florida and Texas to up here in Michigan before. I don't know what kind of power they were pushing, but it had to be an awful lot. I've always wondered if the FCC ever knocked on their door. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I've heard people broadcasting on CB from Florida and Texas to up here in Michigan before. I don't know what kind of power they were pushing, but it had to be an awful lot. I've always wondered if the FCC ever knocked on their door. :p
A rig that strong would have to affect everything around it. I would asume the neighbors would notice

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Holy smokes people, suggesting an APX - any APX - is like recommending someone get an H-bomb for a 4th of July fireworks celebration.

Funny, but in the end not really helpful. Heck, good luck in getting Motorola to sell an APX anyways.

If the OP would explain a bit more about what his needs are and what the situation is, some better suggestions can be made.

There are license-free frequencies that can be set up in used/surplus Motorola radios, for example. That would meet the ruggedness requirement, but finding more than a handful of those at a time could be problematic.

Edited to add: some list prices for APXs are in the $6k range.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Holy smokes people, suggesting an APX - any APX - is like recommending someone get an H-bomb for a 4th of July fireworks celebration.

Funny, but in the end not really helpful. Heck, good luck in getting Motorola to sell an APX anyways.

If the OP would explain a bit more about what his needs are and what the situation is, some better suggestions can be made.

There are license-free frequencies that can be set up in used/surplus Motorola radios, for example. That would meet the ruggedness requirement, but finding more than a handful of those at a time could be problematic.

Edited to add: some list prices for APXs are in the $6k range.

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, nothing too expensive please. We use them in a care environment....for carers to call for assistance when necessary.

8 channels...rechargeable...with clip...that's all we need.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, nothing too expensive please. We use them in a care environment....for carers to call for assistance when necessary.

8 channels...rechargeable...with clip...that's all we need.

Knowing your relative budget and approximate distances to transmit would be helpful so we could recommend a class of radio that could best suit your needs.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
If you're communicating to others in an office or something like that where everyone is close by, you can probably get by using FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. These are FM and operate in the UHF band and have 14 channels. They aren't real expensive, either.

On the other hand, if you need to communicate with others in different locations, you will probably need something more reliable, like commercial business two-way radios with repeater support. This option is going to be a lot more expensive, but it will be very reliable with clear audio and good signal.

Motorola is kind of the granddaddy of commercial radios, so anything Motorola will be good quality, but rather expensive. ICOM is another good brand of radios - they make commercial and personal (HAM radio) equipment.

You mentioned these are for caregivers. You might want to make sure that whatever you get does not have any interference issues with any medical equipment you utilize.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.