Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FiftyThree has updated Paper, its popular sketching app for the iPad. Version 1.3.1 includes a new gallery setting, a long awaited pinch-to-zoom feature, and performance enhancements.

Originally released last March, Paper is designed to offer an intuitive way to capture ideas on a distraction free canvas. With the addition of pinch-to-zoom, Paper users can sketch with far greater detail than ever before. Unlike traditional zooming tools, Paper utilizes a magnifying glass-style circle that allows artists to zoom in on a specific area of the image.

paper.jpg
The update includes a gallery that displays a stream of artwork created using the Paper app. As with Paper's other features, the gallery uses simple touch gestures for navigation. FiftyThree has also optimized Paper's performance, upgrading its Expressive Ink Engine with OpenGL for faster rendering.

Paper by FiftyThree is an iPad-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Paper by FiftyThree Updated with Pinch-to-Zoom and New Gallery Feature

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This is great news! This app really changed the way I plan out art and writing projects. Though I have not been using it lately the free form writing, drawing, sketching, and painting have influenced my workflow. I will have to try out the new features and see if it's worth working back into my workflow habits.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
To many in app purchases required

I was about to get this till I read the reviews.......while most reviewers like the app itself, many give it a negative review because of the plethora of in app purchases required (ie..pay for every brush).

jake0112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I was about to get this till I read the reviews.......while most reviewers like the app itself, many give it a negative review because of the plethora of in app purchases required (ie..pay for every brush).

True, but they do a bundle deal for around €5 where you get all the brushes minus the custom colour mixer. But you do have the option of buying each brush individually which costs more. This way you have the option to demo the app and if you like it then you can spend the money on it - which is a much fairer option than spending at least €5 and diving in blind as with most apps.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Even in a third world country I feel satisfied with the purchase. It's been almost a year since me and my brother got it. We decided upon three brushes.

Great to have updates.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

but you paid a gazillion dollars for the ipad, and you probably paid the same amount of money for some lame game(s).

in app-purchases have a negative impact to the user but I just went for the all-pack as soon as I installed it. Back when I got it, the colour mixer was not available and it was kind of a put off. problem was rectified with another in-app purchase later on, but even then, I didn't fret. they had worked to deliver it, and I enjoyed using it.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I can't really even draw and I get enough enjoyment out of this Paper app to justify the price of the in app purchases. These are actually the types of IAPs that I don't mind (what I hate are the "consumable" coin money grabs).

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Everything in Paper can be unlocked for under $10, and it's one of those in-app purchases that's worth it. It isn't like a game where you get a set number of items that are spent leaving you with nothing to show for it, it's a permanent addition that really enhances the app.

I would have bought Paper for $10 too, but I do appreciate having the option to pick and choose tools. Like other posters, I'm no artist, but Paper has a great engine and you can do a lot with it even using the free stuff.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I really wish they'd make the undo / history function better: it's pretty tedious. Otherwise, it's a fantastic app.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Great addition to a great app. I love 53's approach of the zoom, it's well designed - like the rest of the app.
Is there a way to change the "Made with Paper" stack into a regular notebook?

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

You need to pay around 5-6$ to get all the tools bundled together, excluding the color mixer. It's pocket change and money very well spent, the app is great and I use it daily at work to take notes and draw sketches or quick diagrams.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I can't see why they don't just add normal zooming like most other drawing apps.

I quite like Paper, but not being able to zoom in and pan around properly makes it pretty much useless, well that and the low resolution. A quick undo button would be nice too, I don't like the weird rotating gesture much.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I love this app, it has a much more approachable nature than sketchbook pro, so I end up doing most of my doodling in it. I'll update it when I get home tonight, kinda interested to see how exactly it handles the zooming loupe

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008

I don't get it. So the developers should, what, not eat so they can give the whole thing away for nothing? What is wrong with people? It costs a lot of life energy to write great software. If you don't contribute by paying good stuff will not be made.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Anyone considering not getting Paper due to the IAPs should remember that not all in-app-purchases are created equal and that making money from apps is the only way devs can guarantee ongoing support.

First things first - these IAPs are not credits or consumables, they're permanent additions to the app. You can get the lot for a reasonable price but by offering them as individual items FiftyThree is letting you decide how much you want to spend on the app - those who want only basic black and white sketching need pay nothing at all! Furthermore, by offering upgrades as IAPs FiftyThree can create an ongoing revenue stream, allowing them to continue to support and enrich the app.

I'm no fan of IAPs where they're used to screw money out of me but the model chosen by FiftyThree is consistent with a great customer experience and enabling accessibility while also being a sound business model. I can only support this sort of thing.

This is a really great app built by people who clearly have a vision for what they want to deliver. If you won't pay good money for this then you won't pay good money for anything - so why the heck do you own an iPad?!

----------

I can't see why they don't just add normal zooming like most other drawing apps.

I quite like Paper, but not being able to zoom in and pan around properly makes it pretty much useless, well that and the low resolution. A quick undo button would be nice too, I don't like the weird rotating gesture much.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not being able to zoom in and pan around properly". There are various ways to implement zoom. By "normal zooming" I assume you mean where you pinch-out and the entire image seems to move towards you. While this is a decent solution the drawback is obvious - you lose context. Paper's zoom feature is designed to enable you to do close detail while still being able to see the detail in context. I find it great.

Also... what do you mean by "low resolution"? I've not noticed any issue here. Remember that this is a sketching and drafting app - not intended to be used to create finished products fit for large scale printing. There's no reason this app should offer gigantic resolution settings. All that would do would be to suck up memory and slow down the app.

M

Mr.damien

You mean once all the never ending whiners cry because it's not free.

This zoom feature is amazing btw.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm another person who can't draw (seriously, I struggle with stick figures), but I'm having a LOT of fun with the Paper app, and after initial hesitation, I did buy all the brushes & the colour mixer. There's just something very satisfying about putting "pen to paper" (stylus to ipad?), and I've even managed a couple ... well, childish sketches, but I've immensely enjoyed it; and if I end up learning how to draw because of it, then it was money well-spent.

There are a few things I wish it had (the ability to make the marker bigger, and a "fill" feature, for those times I'd like to do large blocks of colours or change the background colour), but over all, it's an EXCELLENT app.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
There are a few things I wish it had (the ability to make the marker bigger, and a "fill" feature, for those times I'd like to do large blocks of colours or change the background colour), but over all, it's an EXCELLENT app.

You can change the background colour quite easily: drag-and-drop any colour from any of the colour palettes or from the colour mixer onto the screen. Of course, this would be the first thing you do before starting to draw.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI

It's worth it. Stop being cheap. Quality costs money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.