Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
OK, this bug has annoyed me for ages - it's a massively obvious one so I'd like to know if you all experience it too.

1. In Safari, type some text in a text field (it can be any text field - the reply box on this forum, Google search box, Facebook status field, whatever).

2. Zoom in to the page by pinching your fingers apart on a multi-touch trackpad.

3. Now try and use the arrow keys to move the text cursor around - on my system, you can't see the cursor move at all.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields. [/QUOTE=Saladinos;17247009]

actually arrow keys allow the page movement left & right when zoomed-in and not over the text field. not sure if it's a bug or an overrule. you can always click the cursor where you want it until & if they address this

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
No expectations

Do not expect Apple to Fix Mail by restoring rejection, send back....add a draft button.
Do not expect Apple to expand copy/paste, unchanged since about 1994.
Do not expect Apple to improve and quicken forced quit.
Do not expect Apple to speed up S L O W Safari.
Do not expect Apple to improve the week function of finding files
Do expect more things that interface with Twitter, Facebook, Cloud Storeage,
iPhone, iPad....stuff most people care nothing about.
Sorry.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
actually arrow keys allow the page movement left & right when zoomed-in and not over the text field. not sure if it's a bug or an overrule. you can always click the cursor where you want it until & if they address this

The cursor stops blinking, which makes me think its a redrawing issue.

Clicking doesn't help too much - you still get all kinds of rendering artefacts - chopped up bits of characters between lines and in empty space, double cursors, etc.

Like this one:

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 17.58.13.png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
OK, this bug has annoyed me for ages - it's a massively obvious one so I'd like to know if you all experience it too.

1. In Safari, type some text in a text field (it can be any text field - the reply box on this forum, Google search box, Facebook status field, whatever).

2. Zoom in to the page by pinching your fingers apart on a multi-touch trackpad.

3. Now try and use the arrow keys to move the text cursor around - on my system, you can't see the cursor move at all.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields.

----------

Link for more information? I'm interested.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16162261/

with a potential fix

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16163178/

Apple services shutting down slowly for whatever reason. I ended up doing the method, but it was a temporary fix.

----------

Do not expect Apple to Fix Mail by restoring rejection, send back....add a draft button.
Do not expect Apple to expand copy/paste, unchanged since about 1994.
Do not expect Apple to improve and quicken forced quit.
Do not expect Apple to speed up S L O W Safari.
Do not expect Apple to improve the week function of finding files
Do expect more things that interface with Twitter, Facebook, Cloud Storeage,
iPhone, iPad....stuff most people care nothing about.
Sorry.

Errr... Safari is snappier in this seed.

>_>;

Every build it gets faster. If you wanted it to be really fast, though, you'd use webkit nightly. It has an updater for OS X.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
12E40 graphics drivers are buggy and affect both ATI and NVidia platform. I don't know anout Intel since not available.

My current gen Mac Pro w/ ATI Radeon 5870 was all over the place w/ 12E40; scrolling stuttered, moving Finder/Safari/etc windows created ghosting, et al. I checked Quartz Debug, and noticed Quartz Extreme and GL were no longer enabled. I checked them both (again) in HW Acceleration and for some reason everything was back to good. Installing this update now.

Anyone else notice that bluetooth keyboard kext's don't load quick enough to use the keyboard to reset PRAM or option boot into other drives? No matter the Mac model/year, I have to keep a wired keyboard around. Isn't that odd given Apple's push for bluetooth keyboards? Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
It appears that Apple is really pushing the envelop when it comes to testing; Safari has been upgraded to 6.0.5 so does that mean 10.9 will see 6.1 and shortly after a jump in version numbers to 7.x - kind of depressing IMHO that there are a tonne of features in the public source code of Webkit that haven't made their way into Safari but I'm sure there is a legitimate reason.

As for what others have been experiencing, I must be the luckiest man on earth but then again when 10.8.3 came out I did a clean install on my iMac and MacBook Pro with neither showing the problems that are present by some here; all I can suggest is maybe a clean install of OS X 10.8.3 and then work up from a clean base until the problem starts to appear and if a problem appears after installing an application or drive then it is time to contact the vendor to inform them about how their product is disrupting your work flow.

slime73

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Can someone check whether any new OpenGL extensions are exposed with this build?

For reference, these are the extensions exposed in 10.8.3 (in the Core 3.2 OpenGL profile, viewable in the 'Extensions' or 'Report' tab of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer)

7kZzTuh.png

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Hoping this fixes the "random falling asleep" of my MacBook Pro.

Which MacBook Pro are you using? I just got the Retina back in December, but on my 2010 MacBook Pro that I had before that, it would do the "random falling asleep" as well.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Can someone check whether any new OpenGL extensions are exposed with this build?

For reference, these are the extensions exposed in 10.8.3 (in the Core 3.2 OpenGL profile, viewable in the 'Extensions' or 'Report' tab of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer)

Not much has changed since the last build

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.21.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.21.46 PM.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.21.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.21.56 PM.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 98

slime73

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for checking! The driver version number increased at least (from 1.6.37 on my 10.8.3 system with an AMD GPU to 1.8.18 on yours.) :)

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Installed latest build onto my MacBook Air 2011 model, no issues. Bear in mind I have never had to do a clean install of the OS, and the system came with Lion when purchased then upgraded to 10.8 and then installed the developer builds after I registered - no major issues whatsoever.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
asdf

I just tried this in Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and it seems to be working just fine. The cursor actually stops blinking and stays solid so that you know the exact position of it. You can then click anywhere within the text box to move the cursor which will start blinking again if you zoom back out.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields.

----------

Link for more information? I'm interested.

TheTissot11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Germany
Improvements?

I don't know what kinds of improvements Apple is making with each beta. Those of you who are testing these betas, can you share your general opinion about the stability, graphics performance without violating your NDAs? 10.8.3 brought lots of improvements for me, but I still believe a bug related to mdworker or Spotlight indexing is still present in 10.8.3. It caused system lockups on my rMBP before, however booting it once in the Safe mode lockups disappeared. Though, Spotlight indexing related bugs has appeared now, e.g. when I download a PDF file using Safari's Download to Stack option, Spotlight refused to assign any date and size information to the PDF downloaded. After I restarted the rMBP, it went away. Apparently, there are changes to Unix in 10.8.3 as well. Some of the unix commands that worked well in 10.8.2, do not work anymore or have to modified slightly in 10.8.3, including the mdfind command for searching the files on my rMBP and defaults command for changing the certain system behaviour. Can anyone share thoughts on these...

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I just tried this in Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and it seems to be working just fine. The cursor actually stops blinking and stays solid so that you know the exact position of it. You can then click anywhere within the text box to move the cursor which will start blinking again if you zoom back out.

Except the cursor can't be moved by arrow keys while you are zoomed in. This would be indeed annoying for someone who zooms into the text fields.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
This has been beaten to death.

It's not a bug, it's a "feature". It has to do with the fact that some Apple processes don't just shut down. According to a lot of people, that's by design.

Yes, but wouldn't it be great if they let us choose for this instead of pushing it down our throat? Perhaps a switch in the systems setting as I haven't had any problem at all with the fast close in the past.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I mean I don't have a developer account nor have downloaded any 10.8.4 build, but yes they are certainly still buggy.

Graphics drivers are always buggy, by definition :)

----------

Hope this fixes the following (on RMBP)...

1. Constantly super-choppy Mission Control
2. Occasional weird graphical glitches in Safari (flickering images when scrolling, usually when quite a few tabs open)
3. The Safari 'super text slowdown' bug, not sure what triggers it, makes typing virtually impossible

All of these have been fixed for me in 10.8.3

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Steadily approaching OS XI.

Wonder if they'll re-engineer it new from ground up or keep tweaking X as it is.

I have an uneasy feeling 11 is going to be the OS they finally ditch a file-based system.

Do you have the Apple software roadmap? Is there a rule that says after 10.9 they have to go to 11? Why not 10.10?
(No Spinal Tap references please)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.