Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
probably same priority as apple store on the ipad

A few things aside, I'm pretty sure that Apple intended for the Apple Store app to satisfy those using mobile devices with smaller screens (ie. IPhone, iPod Touch) rather than the iPad which has a larger screen and can browse the online store in the browser easily.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
A few things aside, I'm pretty sure that Apple intended for the Apple Store app to satisfy those using mobile devices with smaller screens (ie. IPhone, iPod Touch) rather than the iPad which has a larger screen and can browse the online store in the browser easily.

The same applies for the iPad, really.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Realized today that Google got rid of "push" email (using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) in Gmail, so the native iOS Mail app doesn't notify of emails in real-time—can only be set to check mail at 15-, 30-minute, etc. intervals). Had to download the Gmail app.

Basically ditched iOS Mail and replaced it with Gmail on my home screen dock. :(

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-surprise-new-iphone-buyers-apple-store-reps

Google has been schooling Apple (and its users) in exactly how reliant they are on Google's services.

Sad. :(
...or I could have meant that Apple has no design consistency in their own app. :rolleyes:

----------

and Contacts.
CalDAV or CardDAV, none of that really gives you push notifications or offline access to Gmail (compared to what the native iOS Mail app does when connected to Gmail via Exchange).

jaarso

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
not impressed with GMail app

One feature that I like better about the native Mail app that I don't see in the GMail app is that you can double tap a paragraph within the body of an email and it will resize the text appropriately. For the lack of that simple of a feature, the GMail app is useless to me. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I used to have my custom Google Apps domain set up through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and thought I would hate having to do it any other way. However, CalDAV and CardDAV work perfectly for me.

To use CalDAV, you simply set up your Gmail account through the "Gmail" Add Account option. This will handle your Mail (Imap), Calendars (CalDAV), and Notes (show as emails in your Gmail account). To use CardDAV, you have to add "Other" account and pick "Add CardDAV Account from the list with the server being "google.com". I would think that future iterations of iOS would support CardDAV within the "Gmail" Add Account option for a single setup solution.

Also, make sure you go to https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect if you have multiple Calendars in your Gmail account you want to access on your phone.

----------

Google announced last December that Exchange support, offered with its Google Sync service, would be removed as part of the company's "winter cleaning." Google Sync allowed push email, along with calendar and contact syncing, via Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

That's unfortunate. Unfortunately, I am bound to an exchange account until I graduate with my Master's. thanks for the info.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The most shocking thing about this is the fact that Google apparently remembers they have a YouTube app for iOS. Seeing as how they've been completely ignoring the fact that it doesn't really function for almost a year, this is surprising.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006

who knows. their laziness in updating a few apps and some disastrous decisions like the usability of the app store nothing surprises me with them

is the apple store website on an ipad any better than amazon or imdb (obviously everchanging that one)?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The most shocking thing about this is the fact that Google apparently remembers they have a YouTube app for iOS. Seeing as how they've been completely ignoring the fact that it doesn't really function for almost a year, this is surprising.

What issues have you been having with the YouTube app? I use it quite a bit and haven't had any issues with it. I find it much better than the old stock YouTube app that Apple created.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Especially considering the last update for the app came from Google less than a month ago. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.