Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Useless clods. I had a question about their service and filled out the online customer service form. Moments later I got this poorly formatted response (needless to say I won't ask twice or use a service with this level of customer support and lack of judgement in line spacing):

Thanks for contacting us.

Please do not reply

In order to supply you with accurate support, we ask you to open a support ticket by directing your browser to the correct department, or to our support tickets

"Help us help you."

Immediate solution, please visit "Ask Viber Support" at:

http://support.viber.com

*Business requests:

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/2

*Open support ticket

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/1

We take the reports you send us very seriously. However, due to the enormous amount of requests we receive daily, we will not be able to reply to this email.

*We can only reply to our support form tickets

Again we thank you for your cooperation, and for helping us make Viber a better product.

Set your calls Free!

The Viber Team

Viber support site: http://helpme.viber.com

Support Center: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yup Apple could have brought out a rival to Skype that was multi platform- iTunes style. There are so many firms that could tackle this, including telecom carriers, but they don't want to harm existing business models. I guess we just have to wait (hope?) for better days.

Apple can't make Windows software for the life of them. They've proven that with Safari and iTunes. They can code for OS X and iOS, but everything they make on Windows is bad.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It's unthinkable to me that in 2013, no ones put a decent VoIP service together. Blows my mind. Things were looking up with Skype, before they gracefully arc'd over and did a swan dive, into an empty pool.

Apple easily could have cleaned up iChat alongside FaceTime.
iChat, handled video, voice, screensharing, conferencing, and messaging.
It was great if not a tangle to set up.

Now a few scattered fragments of that are all that remains.

Everything goes to crap eventually.

Agreed. I really liked the "Answering Machine" feature introduced in an iChat Leopard beta. Setting an outgoing video away message and leaving one in return was great, especially for hearing impaired contacts. Seems there are too many companies and apps and little standardization or streamlining for cross platform ease of use.

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Really disappointing

I use viber a lot as send a large amount of international messages, imessage always runs the risk when data is poor that it will send as text, this is could end up being quite expensive. I know this function is optional but when sending domestic text I want it on, viber is no risk.

I was looking forward to seeing the Mac/PC version of the software but am hugely disappointed with it.

1) It doesn't upload your existing messages
2) Emoji Emoticon don't work
3) Stickers don't work
4) You are required to have the software on a mobile device, this means is isn't really cross platform, just cross platform if you have a smart phone.

I hope they continue to improve as Skype, and particular there customer services, are the worst company I've ever dealt with.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Main feature of Viber against Skype (on mobile):

Skype needs to be online and SUCKS HUGE AMMOUNTS OF BATTERY.

Viber does not run on background, when someone calls or texts you get a push notification which allows you to A: read the message of B: pick up the call.

Viber uses absolutely 0 battery when no one is texting or calling you which is quite the opposite with Skyp.e

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Apple can't make Windows software for the life of them. They've proven that with Safari and iTunes. They can code for OS X and iOS, but everything they make on Windows is bad.

Did you know that iTunes is the No.1 app on windows? I don't have a problem using it on my PC.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi,
This is an official representative from Viber. :)
We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did you know that iTunes is the No.1 app on windows? I don't have a problem using it on my PC.

iTunes is the #1 most used app, maybe, but that has more to do with the fact that people have gotten used to it. People have -had- to use it fo so long that they think it's okay.

If you think it's okay, then obviously you've never used it on OS X.

>_>;

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
iMessage here. Only need it on Windows now to complete the cycle.

I, for the 1 billionth time, still don't get the appeal of WhatsApp. Tried it before it was released and after. It requires everyone you know to have it. Everyone I know, doesn't have it. They all have iPhones as well. What's the point? I guess I can understand it's use for non iOS users?

It's HUGE when travelling around Europe. Just came back from a trip around Germany, Spain, and Italy. Almost NOBODY uses SMS. If they have an iPhone, they mostly use iMessage... but there are a lot of people on Android as well, so EVERYBODY there, iPhone or otherwise, has WhatsApp. Don't know too many people with Viber... but with the addition of the desktop app, it makes it infinitely more useful for me. I am a physician; my normal med assistant has ain iPhone so when I need her to do something I don't have to poke my head out of the room and disrupt the flow of the visit... i just iMessage her from my Mac. BUT, on days when she's out, other assistants have Android phones, and my days get screwed up and appointments drag on a little more. Now with Viber having the desktop app... I'll be able to do the same with the other assistants as well!

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
WhatsApp with
- video + voice call
- support for iPad + Mac/PC
- cross-platform file transfer
would kill every other similar app... Skype included!

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010

I agree with you, but an IM client would be far less difficult than a browser or the bloated iTunes. And there is no way in hell they could have failed greater than Skype.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hi,
This is an official representative from Viber. :)
We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

1. In the UK, I had to enter my number as 44xxxxxxx instead of 0xxxxxxxx. That's fine, but there was no instructions to say that was the required format, so others may struggle.

2. I can't reply to messages - see here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17242104/

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
You do realize Skype is the standard, right?

Its how things developed. There was so much promise about Skype, it came about at the right time and the alternatives were on the nose. Its domination is not about what an awesome product and service it is, its more about right position and moment in the IM and VOIP industry time line. They have been sh*ting on their legacy for the last few years.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Its how things developed. There was so much promise about Skype, it came about at the right time and the alternatives were on the nose. Its domination is not about what an awesome product and service it is, its more about right position and moment in the IM and VOIP industry time line. They have been sh*ting on their legacy for the last few years.

So why haven't people moved on, if the app is so bad?

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
So why haven't people moved on, if the app is so bad?

Thats exactly what we were talking about in this thread, no credible competition. The entire IM/Consumer VOIP industry has been stagnant or impotent in relation to mainstream success for the last few years.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thats exactly what we were talking about in this thread, no credible competition. The entire IM/Consumer VOIP industry has been stagnant or impotent in relation to mainstream success for the last few years.

Except there is credible competition.

Almost everyone has a Google account, so there are Google+ hangouts. >_>

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@Kilamite -

We are aware of the problem with entering numbers in the UK, and we're trying to fix it at the moment.
We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
iTunes is the #1 most used app, maybe, but that has more to do with the fact that people have gotten used to it. People have -had- to use it fo so long that they think it's okay.

If you think it's okay, then obviously you've never used it on OS X.

>_>;

"obviously" is not "definitely", as I switched this Feburary to a mid 2012 13inch MBA. Never going back to Windows again. But still, before that I used iTunes 11 on a Sony Vaio and never had much problem (I grant you, it wasn't as smooth as it is on the mac, but it was still better than a lot of windows app out there).

Edit: BTW windows' Safari really sucked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.