Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The hugely popular Pixelmator continues to add features to its image editing app, this time adding an extensive collection of shapes and related tools, a new paint selection tool, and more. There is also a new tutorials website with videos showing how to use Pixelmator to its fullest.

pixelmator.jpg
The last update to Pixelmator added CMYK support, color profile management. The software is becoming more and more powerful for image editors, while keeping its competitive price of $14.99 -- significantly less than Adobe's Photoshop, which the team considers its primary competitor.
"We're excited to deliver even more, easy-to-use, advanced features to our Pixelmator fans and continue to create the best and most enjoyable image editing experience," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "With new state-of-the-art Smart Shape Tools, people can fully enhance their images, create logos, Web layouts, posters, and much more, all easier than ever before."

Pixelmator 2.2 Blueberry comes with more than 100 new features and improvements
Pixelmator 2.2 is available now from the Mac App Store for $14.99, free for current owners. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator 2.2 Adds Extensive Shapes Support, New Video Tutorials Website

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Pixelmator has a real opportunity to benefit from Adobe's recent greedy new forced-subscription-model decision, and I wish them all the luck in the world. Updates like this is are very encouraging.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'm rooting for Pixelmator to further develop their software to compete with Photoshop. I love Photoshop and used it everyday, but I like competition even more. Adobe is too comfortable with their domination and need a competitive poke.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Adobe's crackdown on pirated software is the dumbest thing they've ever done. Those aren't necessarily lost sales. In fact most of those illegal downloads are keeping customers from buying a competitors product. And now more people are going to products like pixelmator and willingly paying the much lower price, which in turn gives pixelmator the capital to improve their products.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Adobe's crackdown on pirated software is the dumbest thing they've ever done. Those aren't necessarily lost sales. In fact most of those illegal downloads are keeping customers from buying a competitors product. And now more people are going to products like pixelmator and willingly paying the much lower price, which in turn gives pixelmator the capital to improve their products.

Honestly I think Adobe should stop caring about pirated software. Let the kids pirate it, learn it and fall in love with it. When they grow up and go to work, they will have to buy the genuine version.

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearly losing potential customers.

Last edited:

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly I think Adobe should stop caring about pirated software. Let the kids pirate it, learn it and fall in love with it. When they grow up and go to work, they will have to buy the genuine version.

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearing losing potential customers.

That's EXACTLY what I and every graphic designer I know did. Most parents aren't going to plunk down even $200 for the student version of Creative Suite when a comparable piece of software to them is $50 (a video game) or came with their computer. Even fewer high school students have the money to buy it themselves and by the time you're in college, it's almost too late.

Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot and I hope Pixelmator and/or Apple take them to town.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Best app

I use it since many years even for professional works. It is the best app I've ever used. Devs are also very communicative, friendly and the Pixelmator online community is already quite big, for example I check often pxm-tuts.com

Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
The software is becoming more and more powerful for image editors, while keeping its competitive price of $14.99 -- significantly less than Adobe's Photoshop, which the team considers its primary competitor.

Pixelmator rules.
Photoshop drools.

The only Photoshop I ever paid for was Photoshop Express, for Mac OS 9 way back in the day.
I would never have paid for the full version of Photoshop. Ever. Pixelmator does everything I need.

M

Mr.damien

That's EXACTLY what I and every graphic designer I know did. Most parents aren't going to plunk down even $200 for the student version of Creative Suite when a comparable piece of software to them is $50 (a video game) or came with their computer. Even fewer high school students have the money to buy it themselves and by the time you're in college, it's almost too late.

Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot and I hope Pixelmator and/or Apple take them to town.

You mustn't be a professional Graphic Designer then, because even with the great latest improvement, Pixelmator is still not a replacement for any serious job.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
An average joe like me whose interested in photo editing would go with pixelmator rather than photoshop due to pricing alone...

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Pixelmator is the most bang for the buck program I have EVER seen/used....BAR NONE!!!

I use it all the time and love it. Looking forward to the new features and tutorials!!! Thank you Pixelmator Team!!! :)

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearly losing potential customers.

See Autodesk for the perfect example.

Free student versions of practically all (if not all) software. You have the future generation of professionals learning your software over a competitor's. When time comes to buy software, what do you think they will pick?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Even with the bugs and sometimes (not always) the laggy response when working on BIG BIG files. Pixelmator do the job perfectly.

I'm an Ex- CS3 user and I recommend this comment. LOL

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Definitely agree that for serious Photoshop users, there is no alternative. But this does look like a great piece of software for the casual user. Definitely interested in checking it out myself.

Now we just need a panaroma stitching tool that works well with Aperture. Currently using Photoshop which works brilliantly (well, not tightly integrated as with Lightroom), but it's really one of the few reasons I need Photoshop (or Elements). The fewer tools I need, the better.

Right now it's Aperture, Nik Silver Efex (Black & White), Nik Dfine (Noise Removal), Photoshop (Healing/Cloning, Stitching), and Photomatix (rare HDR).

Last edited:

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Just bought this last week. Nice surprise to see a new update with lots of new features. If only there was a way for me to import my numerous Paint Shop Pro multi-layered files. :(

rdthompson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Definitely agree that for serious Photoshop users, there is no alternative. But this does look like a great piece of software for the casual user. Definitely interested in checking it out myself.

Now we just need a panaroma stitching tool that works well with Aperture. Currently using Photoshop which works brilliantly (well, not tightly integrated as with Lightroom), but it's really one of the few reasons I need Photoshop (or Elements). The fewer tools I need, the better.

Right now it's Aperture, Nik Silver Efex (Black & White), Nik Dfine (Noise Removal), Photoshop (Healing/Cloning, Stitching), and Photomatix (rare HDR).

I can't dump photoshop because of the layering mostly. But I use PT GUI for all my stitching. It works when photoshop sometimes couldn't. Also great tools.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Sounds like layer styles are coming later this year. That plus nested layer sets, and I can ditch photoshop entirely.

Now if only someone would come up with something as competitive for illustrator and a tool that duplicates dreamweaver's DOM-parsing search and replace....

Can't wait for the day when it's buh-bye to Adobe for good.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Pixelmator has been doing it right. Build a base of loyal customers and don't gouge them. Adobe in one feel swoop drastically raised their prices (yes - RAISED prices) on loyal customers and have taken away the choice of when to upgrade from them. Locking your customers into a pay forever scheme will not win you loyalty - ever. Go Pixelmator!!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

It has nothing to do with pirated software. The "cloud" based programs are not really cloud based, you still download and install them locally. Pirates will just find a way to stop the program from "calling home" as they did with windows activation.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
You mustn't be a professional Graphic Designer then, because even with the great latest improvement, Pixelmator is still not a replacement for any serious job.

Way to judge, bro.

No, I am a professional and while Pixelmator absolutely does not replace Photoshop yet, it's well on its way. This is their window. I hope they take it.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Pixelmator is good for casual editing.

Photoshop plays in a whole different league.

The creators of Pixelmator did a great job to make image editing easy for casual editors. Really. This software is very good and makes perfect use of all the technologies available in Mac OS X.

But it is also bound by these technologies. Photohop is mostly unbounded, they implemented everything in-house. That's the reason why Pixelmator will never be a replacement to photoshop. So far, it's unreachable.

I presume after more than 5 years, being bound to technologies starts to make it very hard for the developers.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Sounds like layer styles are coming later this year. That plus nested layer sets, and I can ditch photoshop entirely.

Now if only someone would come up with something as competitive for illustrator and a tool that duplicates dreamweaver's DOM-parsing search and replace....

Can't wait for the day when it's buh-bye to Adobe for good.

I don't know the tool you're talking about, so I'm probably talking nonsense, but wouldn't any text editor that supports regexp based find-and-replace do what you need, regarding the DOM parsing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.