Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage14.png
Amazon is developing a number of new hardware products to complement its Kindle line, The Wall Street Journal is reporting.

Amazon hopes to release the devices, which are being developed at an Amazon lab in Sunnyvale, California, in the coming months, but the WSJ is quick to note that some or all of them may be killed at the last minute for a variety of reasons.
One of the devices is a high-end smartphone featuring a screen that allows for 3-D images without glasses, these people said. Using retina-tracking technology, images on the smartphone would seem to float above the screen like a hologram and appear three-dimensional at all angles, they said. Users may be able to navigate through content using just their eyes, two of the people said.
Amazon is also reportedly working on an audio-only streaming music player, perhaps an iPod-like device with 3G and Wi-Fi built in for streaming music from Amazon's servers.

This device could make sense given the company's moves to beef up its digital music efforts. In recent months, Amazon has given customers free digital copies of all CDs ever purchased on Amazon.com and introduced a new "scan and match" service similar to iTunes Match.

Last month, it was reported that Amazon was developing a set-top box to stream video over the Internet via its Amazon Prime and Instant video services.

Article Link: Amazon Developing New Hardware Products Including a 3D Smartphone and a Streaming Music Player

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Is amazon.com changing?

This comes right after they posted 39 Million net loss, one has to wonder if their investment 'in the future' is the greatest evolution or the beginning of the end.

Are they trying to evolve to a digital services/digital content/ hardware provider ala Apple? Will their retail business shrink (especially with the new Walmart lobbied law that forces them to collect taxes pretty much from everyone)?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Clearly the above three posters have no idea on what Amazons business goals are.

Here's a hint: Money doesn't even come into it. Seriously, their focus isn't on increasing profits each year. It never has been and never will be. Read up on how Amazon's business operates and you'll understand.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Clearly the above three posters have no idea on what Amazons business goals are.

Here's a hint: Money doesn't even come into it. Seriously, their focus isn't on increasing profits each year. It never has been and never will be. Read up on how Amazon's business operates and you'll understand.

But wouldn`t most investors think about increasing profits?

MetalGearTW

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
3D smartphones have been around since December 2011 with the release of Docomo's Winter Season Smartphone line-up. It's not new.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
3D smartphones have been around since December 2011 with the release of Docomo's Winter Season Smartphone line-up. It's not new.

Does your post have a point or did you misread something? Nobody said that Amazon had created a new technology, or were the first people to do this.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
The article amusingly disclaims "but the WSJ is quick to note that some or all of them may be killed at the last minute for a variety of reasons."

Therefore the quotes may as well have read as:

"One of the devices is a high-end smartphone featuring a screen that allows for 3-D images without actually needing any eyes, these people said. Using mind-tracking technology, images on the smartphone would seem to float inside your head like a hologram and appear three-dimensional at all angles, they said. Users may be able to navigate through content using just their thoughts, two of the people said."

I just love the way we are supposed to believe these leaked spec's of new a new secret device, from dubious sources who disclaim these claims in the same article.

Probably because they don't exist and to just get publicity.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Clearly at the end of the day a successful business should sit there with some
cash, no?

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Didn't Nintendo already pull this off with the 3DS?

As for Amazon's continued poor financial performance, as Wall Street would put it, the company has nowhere to go but up!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Didn't Nintendo already pull this off with the 3DS?

As for Amazon's continued poor financial performance, as Wall Street would put it, the company has nowhere to go but up!

Yes, but nowhere does it claim that this phone will be the first to do it as some people seem to think.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
am i the only one who doesn't care about a 3-d movies? or tv's? or phones? maybe i've lost touch, but i feel like this tech is endlessly being rammed down consumer's throats.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I might be interested in the music player, I have all my music uploaded and I use the cloud player app on my phone, but would'nt mind a 3g connected device seperately either to save battery on my phone

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

Posts like these are more constructive when they come with a small summary of what the hell your point is.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Phone - eh - and certainly not really 3D. But music player makes perfect sense.

Good, drain that cash Amazon!

Why the hate for Amazon?

Meh - once you've had an eyeful of Amazon's walled garden, Apple looks positively open. Don't get me wrong, the Kindles are great devices and the Fire HD gives a lot for the money, but it's all terribly closed.

I don't know - At least you can read Amazon books on various devices vs Apple's iBooks that are locked into just iDevices.

Movies - both have their own. Apps - same. Although Amazon devices could use the play store if allowed.

Music - both have their own but can be played on other devices

I wouldn't call it that terribly closed.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
am i the only one who doesn't care about a 3-d movies? or tv's? or phones? maybe i've lost touch, but i feel like this tech is endlessly being rammed down consumer's throats.

I'm with you. The game here is about trying to replicate something Apple is most successful at: making it's followers feel compelled to throw out perfectly good technology from last year to buy this year's new model. Only runs a little bit faster? No problem. Doesn't really do anything significantly new or different? No problem.

By trying to get us all to think 3D is it, they're trying to get us all to turn over all of our 2D tech. If we all did it, it would just be on to the next thing. It's not stick with something until it dies anymore; it's how fast can we make ourselves reject the barely old so that we'll spend more on the new.

That's nothing new of course. But Apple has shown that many will swallow this pill with barely a gripe... and those who will gripe will come around anyway. The others just want the same with the rest of the technology landscape.

MetalGearTW

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Does your post have a point or did you misread something? Nobody said that Amazon had created a new technology, or were the first people to do this.

Okay maybe I should stop sharing information about technology from the other side of the world :) clearly this isn't a place to share things with close-minded individuals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.