Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
People actually use Windows 8?

I do as I need to test sites on IE and develop in C# using Visual Studio. And after getting used to it a bit more, I'm not hating the software. It appears stable to me and fast. I don't like the stupid 'metro' interface and the full screen programs but in desktop mode it's just better.

But... I'm using Win8 within Parallels. And I prefer Win8 over Win7 already. I guess I wouldn't like Win8 to be my desktop OS.

Back on topic: iTunes for Metro doesn't sound too bad, especially when Apple decides it's time to redesign the iTunes functionality. To me, iTunes is by far the worst product Apple has made. I hate it when I need to use the software to synch my iPad / iPhone, to organize music (yes, I have about 10.000 MP3 tracks legally on my NAS and I'm using Match) etc. Please Apple, do something to increase the speed of iTunes somehow.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
A big shame for them who want it, especially since I thought it would be in Apple's best interest to make sure the next generation tablet PCs are compatible with iDevices.

Good job I have no desire for iTunes at all.

It's in Apple's best interest to make sure the next generation tablet PCs are made by Apple.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Yes they do, and by now it probably has more users than any version of OS X.

Windows 8 sales have been horrible. The release was worse than Vista. Adoption rate is very, very slow. It has created problems for computer distributors. They tried to push computer sales for Windows 8 computer and they fell flat so they had to rush to get the Windows 7 machines back up and advertised to rescue sales.

Windows 8 has been a disaster for Microsoft and it should have been primed for success. You have a whole new market with tablets as well as your existing desktop user base that should have been able to bring phenomenal sales numbers for the release of Win 8. Instead, the OS is horrible and the numbers are there to back that up.

Just look at the flood of Tech articles the past 30 days that declare Win 8 a problem and a failure for MS. This is because the facts are there to see it's not being accepted. People are staying with Win 7.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I like it as well but you are wasting your efforts here. Most just bash windows for sport without having any sort of clue. I will admit that 8 on the desktop is a bit awkward, there should be a desktop mode that restores a start menu and hides Metro. Oh wait you can with ClassicShell :D

I'm an equal opportunity "basher", I just like to make fun for the jollies ;)

Windows 7 is a solid system, in fact I've never had an issue with it. Windows 8 otoh.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The change is MS making a platform to pump you and your computer with advertising through the Metro interface. All those live tiles are going to be sold as billboards.
Heh. I'd like to see a source for this.

You're forced to go there to be exposed to it so they can guarantee your exposure to their clients to get advertising money.
You're not forced to even look at the live tiles. My desktop PC has none since it is a desktop and I only use desktop apps on it. Have you even used Windows 8?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 172

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Windows 8 sales have been horrible. The release was worse than Vista. Adoption rate is very, very slow. It has created problems for computer distributors. They tried to push computer sales for Windows 8 computer and they fell flat so they had to rush to get the Windows 7 machines back up and advertised to rescue sales.

Windows 8 has been a disaster for Microsoft and it should have been primed for success. You have a whole new market with tablets as well as your existing desktop user base that should have been able to bring phenomenal sales numbers for the release of Win 8. Instead, the OS is horrible and the numbers back that up.

Just look at the flood of Tech articles the past 30 days that declare Win 8 a problem and a failure for MS. The numbers to back this up are there and it cant be denied that it is a failed OS in need of rescuing.

Yeah!

If tech pundits say something is bad, it really definitely is.

Unless it's 2010, when every tech outlet was saying that the iPad was definitely going to flop. Then they were stupid and wrong.

Edit: Also, going from from 0% to 7% in the tablet market isn't the worst they could do. Obviously it isn't selling as well as 7, but nobody expected it to. 7 was fixing a perceived problem.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Apple: Don't expect iTunes for Windows 8 any time soon.
Microsoft: Oh, okay. Oh, BTW, you know that Office for iPad you've been asking for? It's been "delayed" again.

Last edited:

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
The app already runs on windows 8, it just doesn't include the "tile" thing. I don't see why apple would bother since users can just run the existing version.

I don't see any complaints in this thread that it's "hard". It's just annoying and cumbersome, and people generally prefer the desktop on a PC. Once 8.1 ships and lets people turn off the tiles, this will be even less of an issue for Apple.

not specific to this thread, but I have definitely seen many complaints about it being "hard" that's why videos on youtube with little kids using Win8 easily started popping up to disprove it

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I really don't understand what is so "hard" about Windows 8, it's like people wilfully like to admit they aren't that bright

somethings may not be great, but certainly not "hard" to learn

windows 8, without a touch screen, takes three or four times as long to do something as it does on windows 7 as you have to keep going back to the stupid metro "modern" ui , (even worse, if you use just modern apps you have to keep going in and out of them, you cant layer windows so you can see key information all at the same time)

Windows 8 with Start8 installed, boot to desktop, no metro "modern" UI, is a supurb OS.

Metro "modern" UI just adds a level of complexity and guff that is not needed on a desktop PC,

Overall i still dont get why windows 8 is called windows at all, in its native state it doesnt have any. maybe they should have called it Window 8

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
they'll wait for iOS7 & next OS to get the flat treatment...call it amazing and THEN port it to Metro.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
they'll wait for iOS7 & next OS to get the flat treatment...call it amazing and THEN port it to Metro.

Just as Microsoft Release windows 8 "blue" , bringing back boot to desktop and the start menu and resigning the modern UI to a "feature" that will never be used, like media centre on previous Windows.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Or it could mean that the Surface is a good product and Apple doesn't want to make it better. Depends on how you choose to look at it.

Oh yeah, just like MS refuses to make Office for iOS or One Note for Mac. In terms of Office for iOS they certainly don't want to help the iPad sell even better than it already does in fear that the Surface won't even get looked at....as if it does get looked at. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What about selling more app's, music, etc;? I know you can do that through the desktop version, but still.

Even Google keeps make stuff for iOS because it makes them money.
Does iTunes really make Apple money? There's not much profit to be made in distributing someone else's content. Creating iTunes for Windows was a no brainer because it increased iPod sales which in turn had the chance of increasing Macs sales. How does making a mobile version of iTunes for Windows (or Android as some clown on cnet suggested) sell more iDevices?

----------

When people see how bad iTunes is on Windows, they may buy an iDevice instead. :D:D

Honestly I've used iTunes once in the past year. And that was to transfer my prior year tax file into the turbotax iPad app.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
"People use Windows 8?"

Yes, Windows 8 has about 7% of the tablet market. It also has ~4% of the desktop market.

So, yes, people are using Windows 8.

Oh, also I don't think this is going to help Microsoft release Office for iOS anytime soon.

I just love how people like you look at business decisions as personal ones. Apple not wasting their time creating an iTunes Metro app makes sense as they stand to gain very little from such a small Windows 8 user base. Microsoft on the other hand stands to gain much financially from porting Office to iOS.
If you think Apple deciding not to bother with a Windows 8 Metro version of iTunes would trigger Microsoft not to make Office for iOS then you should take a class in Business 101.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.