Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
Hey

I just ordered a new iMac to upgrade my old one which has become just too lame to keep up with my standards. ;)

Anyway, I have got one question:
On my current iMac I use Boot camp and Windows 7 for games and I was wondering if I will have troubles installing this Windows 7 version on the new iMac...I have got Windows 7 Home Premium 1 Pack which, I think, means that I can install only one copy...

any help?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hey

I just ordered a new iMac to upgrade my old one which has become just too lame to keep up with my standards. ;)

Anyway, I have got one question:
On my current iMac I use Boot camp and Windows 7 for games and I was wondering if I will have troubles installing this Windows 7 version on the new iMac...I have got Windows 7 Home Premium 1 Pack which, I think, means that I can install only one copy...

any help?

Most versions (non family pack) can only be installed to a single system ... at a time:

If you have a retail version of Windows 7, you will be able to transfer the license to the new iMac, although it may require a phone call to the automated authorization system. If you have a OEM copy, the transfer may not be approved as that was sold for a single installation with designated hardware.

-howard

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
Hmm, dammit. I've got OEM. :( So no gaming for a while on the new Mac...that sucks! :(

thanks anyway!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Hmm, dammit. I've got OEM. :( So no gaming for a while on the new Mac...that sucks! :(

thanks anyway!

You can renew the 30 day activation grace period up to 3 times, giving you a total grace period of 120 days. The only detriments of not activating are that you have to go through a couple of extra clicks on bootup, the desktop will be black, and you get the occasional activation nag. Otherwise, Win 7 will be 100% functional, and able to access all updates. Also, the MS activation server retention resets after a period. I don't know how long that is for Win 7. It's 120 days for XP, and I was able to reactivate Vista after 6 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.