Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Welcome to this weeks photo thread!

Theme: Patterns

That seems pretty self explanatory.

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Inside a Hot Air Balloon

hotairballoon.jpg

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I will be judging after 4pm eastern today. I'll keep it open for last minute submissions until 4pm.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008

I expected I'd see entries of this sort, and this one doesn't disappoint. I really like all the intersecting line patterns here. An excellent start to the contest.

I actually didn't expect balloons, but mostly because it didn't occur to me. I've taken similar shots myself. They are a good source of colorful patterns, too. Thanks for reminding me.

Brickwork can be beautiful!

Here we have the second architecture pattern shot. This time it involves curves and lines. What I feel it lacks is a compelling composition.

Dandelion Radial Pattern

Canon 1100D/T3, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

The first nature patterns photo. This is another source of patterns I expected, though I didn't have any specifics in mind. I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't any other flower macro entries. Anyway, there's something that just doesn't quite grab me about this one. I think it's the lack of some interesting lighting. There's also a lot of blank space on the sides that could be cropped away. It is a good entry, though, just not a great one.

Now we're back to architecture with a tunnel. This is a good composition that sets the curved ceiling off well. It's definitely a contender.

I had to look at this one big to figure out what I was looking at. My guess is an IR image of the bridge that is reflected below. I suspect it was "artificially" reflected since it looks so perfectly mirrored, but I'm open to being wrong. :) The reflected trees look like fractals inside the bridge with the mirror effect. It's an interesting image, but it doesn't quite place in the top 3 for me.

Another nature photo makes an appearance. Caterpillars have interesting patterns. I like the multiple eyes pattern on this one. Unfortunately there's just some "wow" factor missing here to make the top 3.

This is clearly a fabric pattern, but I'm not quite sure what the fabric is part of. Can you elaborate to satisfy my curiosity?

Technically this photo has problems. It's not in focus anywhere. There's not really an interesting composition to set off the fabric pattern. I wish I could provide something helpful or positive beyond that, but I just don't have anything. If anyone has anything to add to help, please do so.

Bank of America Tower Jacksonville, FL

Vertigo by pmxperience, on Flickr

This is another decent architecture entry. But, after comparing it to the first image, and I feel that there could be a better composition of this building that is more compelling. You have a good subject, so go spend more time with it. Try the lighting at different times of the day. Also, at least for me, the blurring on the edges detract from the image. I'll admit that it can be a matter of taste, though, so I won't call it the wrong thing to do, either.

More animal patterns. This one doesn't do anything for me as far as being an interesting photo, though. I recommend you go to 500px.com, search for "giraffe", and take a look through those. Giraffes can be interesting subjects with a bit of work and practice.

acearchie found a new setting on his camera. He'll be playing with it all week. :D This picture feels more about the effect than anything else. It's an okay portrait, but it doesn't stand out, either. It isn't about the flower patterns so much as the person with the flowers added as a fun special effect.

The guy looks a bit like Brent Spiner to me, btw.

Windows within windows with a side of fire escape. It has nice patterns and then breaks up the patterns with another pattern. I like this one, too.

S-curve patterns make up this one. It fits the theme, but once again there's that something special missing here.

trying something different

_DSC0034.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr

I've taken some tables receding into the distance photos for the patterns myself. My problem with this one is there's a lot going on around the tables that distract from it. It makes for too much "noise" and clutter that takes away from the tables. The brightest part of the photo is the background building in the top left, and that distracts from the tables as well.

This is another really good architecture pattern image. It's well framed and has great sets of patterns within patterns in it. Well done.

I was there over Christmas. I want to be back there. However, this picture's subject seems to be the sculptures and not the patterns in the image, though there are several patterns around.

Now for the top finishers.

1) jaewon
2) DirtySocks85
3) tied with someoldguy and genshi

Thanks everyone!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Keleko for the great judging. I was not to happy with my shot either but wanted to have something to enter. Congrats to the winners all wonderful shots. I look forward to the next theme.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Many thanks for judging and for taking time to individually critique/comment on each of the entries.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Thanks Keleko for judging, and for the 2nd place nod! I really can't believe that my photo did so well against some great competition. This is the first time I've "placed", so that's pretty exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.