Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adagio

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I'm on an iMac but would like to make use of a PCI card via a Thunderbolt chassis. The card is Mac compatible, but I've read conflicting reports on whether a mac compatible card can be used in this way. Drivers might not be Thunderbolt compatible. Seems odd, as if not what's the point of selling a chassis?

I've read a bit more, seems I've missed an important bit of relevant info, it's a video card I want to use the GPU on.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There's really a hardware limitation there. Thunderbolt is fast, but not THAT fast. Basically you get 4X PCIe performance from a Thunderbolt PCIe chassis - and while that's fast enough for a lot of stuff, video isn't one of them.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I've read a bit more, seems I've missed an important bit of relevant info, it's a video card I want to use the GPU on.

Unfortunately, those chassis support all PCIe cards except for graphics cards.

There's really a hardware limitation there. Thunderbolt is fast, but not THAT fast. Basically you get 4X PCIe performance from a Thunderbolt PCIe chassis - and while that's fast enough for a lot of stuff, video isn't one of them.
There are lots of problems with Thunderbolt-attached graphics, but bandwidth isn't a major one.
3dmark06maxsettingstestofthePCI-e20.jpg
Vantagecustomandperformancesettings.jpg

(That's a Radeon HD5970 on a Hexa-Core CPU)

Last edited:

adagio

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I'm interesting in bitmining, so throughput speed might not be such an issue but it does appear that there is an absence of thunderbolt aware drivers, even for Mac compatible cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.