Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

GimmeSlack12 said:
I'm guessing its possible to put mac os x on a 360...how would one go about doing this? and if i do this, would i still be able to play games and use it as an xbox?

Dude, I was pretty much joking on putting OS X on the 360. I have zero faith in that being possible.

I dont know. I just got my acer MacBook pro up and running, I know, two diffrent beasts, but the hackontosh society is ramping up...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you realize you're commenting on a thread that is almost 1.5 years old?

And badly at that as my post pointed out that a) the CPU is not actually a G5 in the XBox 360 and b) I was well aware that Apple shipped Macs with G5s it was the rest of the system architecture that was radically different.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
And badly at that as my post pointed out that a) the CPU is not actually a G5 in the XBox 360 and b) I was well aware that Apple shipped Macs with G5s it was the rest of the system architecture that was radically different.

Yeah, get your facts straight! Oh wait, they are straight already, so mess them up so I can correct you. :D

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Realistically, the only chance anyone has of playing 360 or PS3 games on a PC is via some sort of streaming technology (ex. OnLive), whereby the audio/visual output is sent over the net to whatever machine one happens to be on at the time (laptop, desktop, whatever) and the inputs for the game are sent from the user over the net to the console. Console game streaming is significantly more likely to appear than emulation, at least for the current crop of consoles.

iYellow

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
Pretty funny how the nerds give a 7 paragraphed explanation for why the answer is a simple two lettered: no. ;)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Regardless of the hardware differences, trying to run xbox games on OSx would incur the wrath of the Microsoft legal team. Microsoft would not sit around and let someone market anything like that; whoever tried to market someting like that would be sued so fast.

thegreatsage41

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Greetings from the future

So today is January 9th, 2013. Crazy, I know. But, I was looking around for an Xbox 360 emulator for Mac, just for the hell of it, and the giggles too. And now, half a decade into the future, I have a response:

No. There still is not an emulator for Mac, and as far as I can tell, PC.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Interesting. I wonder If today's mac specs still isn't powerful enough..

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Even if there was an emulator there would be no way to read the discs, first they are not DVD's so your mac couldn't read them anyway and second they are protected with a ton of DRM.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
So today is January 9th, 2013. Crazy, I know. But, I was looking around for an Xbox 360 emulator for Mac, just for the hell of it, and the giggles too. And now, half a decade into the future, I have a response:

Thanks for bumping a 5 year old thread just to tell us that nothing has changed. We really appreciate it:rolleyes:

Vuyebyo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014

2014 update -> the same :p Spent about a hour trying to find one, but there is definitely no XBOX 360 Emulator for Mac. Probably there are some PC emulators (like this), but idk if they work well anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.