Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
U want to call apple to check the serial it was a impulse buy but now I'm wondering about it. I checked the support and it wasn't activated yet.

Can apple tell me if the serial is clean? Should I go to the store and tell apple and just give it back to them? I was in my barbershop and some guy had one for sale.

Impulse buy it was a good deal and I wanted to sell my android tablet.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
The guy could have been selling it for a myriad of reasons. Maybe he stole it and was off loading it? Maybe he won it in a raffle but already has one? Did you ask him why?

I wouldn't immediately assume the worst. I mean, if it was new in the box, chances are it's probably not stolen.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Bought a new iPad mini for 250 in box

The guy could have been selling it for a myriad of reasons. Maybe he stole it and was off loading it? Maybe he won it in a raffle but already has one? Did you ask him why?

I wouldn't immediately assume the worst. I mean, if it was new in the box, chances are it's probably not stolen.

It's nib and its 80 bucks off bro, I panicked and I was like oh crap what a deal!! Now I'm thinking it over. I didn't ask questions bro i just went to get a haircut.

----------

How can you get a new iPad not stolen for so cheap? I doubt he gets them wholesale.

Last edited:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
The only way you can tell if the ipad is legit is to open it. People are getting sophisticated now adays that they can put the plastic wrap back in a way as what apple does. If you know the guy then its good otherwise take it with a grain of salt. Check it now and open te box and see what's inside.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
U want to call apple to check the serial it was a impulse buy but now I'm wondering about it. I checked the support and it wasn't activated yet.

Can apple tell me if the serial is clean? Should I go to the store and tell apple and just give it back to them? I was in my barbershop and some guy had one for sale.

If it's NIB it's probably not stolen...

I usually see iPad Minis going for ~40-50 off if you look in the right places... So don't worry about it.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
The only way you can tell if the ipad is legit is to open it. People are getting sophisticated now adays that they can put the plastic wrap back in a way as what apple does. If you know the guy then its good otherwise take it with a grain of salt. Check it now and open te box and see what's inside.

Opened it brand new. I don't k or the guy it was a impulse buy.

----------

If it's NIB it's probably not stolen...

I usually see iPad Minis going for ~40-50 off if you look in the right places... So don't worry about it.

Okay I will. Lets hope the cops don't come knocking

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

here's the link to check your s/n. http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

from my understanding, you're worried about the mini. you opened it and it's brand new. the reason there's no support activated yet is because it was not registered yet. you got a good deal for $250 so why worry. just use it and enjoy your ipad.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
It's nib and its 80 bucks off bro, I panicked and I was like oh crap what a deal!! Now I'm thinking it over. I didn't ask questions bro i just went to get a haircut.

----------

How can you get a new iPad not stolen for so cheap? I doubt he gets them wholesale.

Maybe he won it at a raffle? My mother has won two iPads in the last year at work functions. She already has one so she gave one to a coworker and then sold the other one.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

LOL, a guy in a barbershop sold it to you and that didn't seem odd? :eek:

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
You checked the serial and it was clean so that part is ok.

Like others said, it could have been won and just trying to make some money. He could have bought it for his girlfriend and she left him, so he's trying to get some of his money back.

If it's stolen, it was probably done so by a store employee off the truck or their lockup room. Most stores to my knowledge won't have a list of serial numbers to their devices. It'll get written off as Shrink for the store.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
If its wifi only who cares? The apple police ain't going to hunt you down, they can't block you from accessing wifi.

If it had the choice between a $200 one that was stolen or $329 I'd take the stolen one every time. For $250 I would go for the $329 though, not as big of a difference.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
or the guy needed quick cash and bough it on his credit card before claiming BK. i just sold mine for 330.00 whiting for the next one.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It'll be off the back of a lorry but don't worry apple dosnt bother with odds and sods

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
250 is a honest price for who is in need for money and has recenty bought something like an iPad.... don't worry you are ok. it is not cellular so it can't be blacklisted by carrier....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.