Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook.jpg
Facebook today updated its iOS app with more options when viewing photos, including sharing a photo on a users' timeline, saving a photo to the iOS camera roll, or saving a photo as a profile picture, in addition to other improvements.

Prior to the 6.1 update, users could only Like, Comment or tag users in a photo within the iOS app.
What's New in Version 6.1

- Photo viewer button lets you save, share or make profile picture
- Improved places editing when checking in on iPhone
- Events load faster on iPhone
Facebook for iOS is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook for iOS Adds Sharing and Saving Options to Photo Viewer

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
This is the second time that Facebook have released an update to one of their apps with the Beta Icon left on it.

Someone needs re-training! :D

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Oh that's the beta icon? I was wondering why it looked like that, it's not something they've used publicly before.

In-house Beta. They usually put the correct icon back on the build before release. This is the second time they have forgotten to do so. Expect 6.1.1 tomorrow with the fix.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Phew. Ugly Icon...

I was concerned when I saw the new icon on my homescreen. With all this talk about "flat" designs, and simple icons, I thought maybe for a second Facebook was taking a step in the wrong direction. Not to say they haven't been taking steps in the wrong direction...

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Really don't like the icon border, or pattern within.
Edit: internal icon

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Meh. The iPad version in landscape orientation still insists on displaying useless chat pane that occupies 25% of the screen area.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
The Facebook icon in iOS (In the share sheets) looks really ugly and annoying now lol. Can't wait for iOS 7 to fix it.

I think that the share sheet icon needs to be linked to the app icon so it automatically updates when Facebook or twitter changes their icon.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
MacBookPro13";17263764 said:
In-house Beta. They usually put the correct icon back on the build before release. This is the second time they have forgotten to do so. Expect 6.1.1 tomorrow with the fix.

How do facebook get through review so quickly, as well as other companies. My apps have been downloaded nearly 2 million times, and I don't get any kind of priority reviewing.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
i like the new facebook icon

----------

MacBookPro13";17263719 said:
This is the second time that Facebook have released an update to one of their apps with the Beta Icon left on it.

Someone needs re-training! :D

2nd time? when was the first?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i like the new facebook icon

----------

2nd time? when was the first?
so is the new icon a mistake? or is this a sneak peak of the new 'flat' design?
Not a fan of the border....
They did this once before with their Facebook Messenger app. Generally this kind of "blueprint" icon is used for their internal test version of the apps before they are submitted to the app store, but someone seems to have forgotten to replace the icon with the actual production one before submitting it to the app store. They will likely submit an update restoring the right icon soon, if they haven't done so already, which will become available as something like version 6.1.1 update at this point in the (very) near future.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
How do facebook get through review so quickly, as well as other companies. My apps have been downloaded nearly 2 million times, and I don't get any kind of priority reviewing.

I too have often wondered this when sitting waiting two weeks for an update review, only for FB to role out about 3 versions in that time.

Either they're queuing up approved releases using the custom launch option in connect and then only firing them out once they've done some light testing.

OR they're throwing a truck load of money at Apple for the priority privilege.

I reckon it's the latter and I don't think they're the only company who does it.

It is possible for the "casual" developer to do if it's something urgent using the expedited review process but you have to have a really good reason.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
They did this once before with their Facebook Messenger app. Generally this kind of "blueprint" icon is used for their internal test version of the apps before they are submitted to the app store, but someone seems to have forgotten to replace the icon with the actual production one before submitting it to the app store. They will likely submit an update restoring the right icon soon, if they haven't done so already, which will become available as something like version 6.1.1 update at this point in the (very) near future.

oh i see. i really prefer this new icon look.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And the Facebook version 6.1.1 update is already out, restoring the regular app icon.

littlekelli

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
I don't see where to save as your profile pic. I click the save and it only saves to my camera roll. I don't see the other option listed in the update.

Other than that, the update is great!!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't see where to save as your profile pic. I click the save and it only saves to my camera roll. I don't see the other option listed in the update.

Other than that, the update is great!!!!
It works when you are looking at one of your own pictures, then in addition to the usual options (like save and share) you'll see an option to make it your profile picture (as well as some other options that apply to pictures that are yours).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.