Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

galaxy_s4_white.jpg
Just weeks after the launch of Samsung's latest Galaxy S4 flagship smartphone, FOSS Patents reports that Apple is seeking to add the device to a patent lawsuit already underway against Samsung in the United States.

Judge Lucy Koh has already ordered Apple and Samsung to narrow their case, which is expected to go to trial in March 2014. Each side will ultimately be required to limit their cases to ten targeted devices, although the current stage is seeing the companies pare their lists to 22 devices each.
The filings reveal a major new disagreement: Apple has analyzed the Galaxy S4, Samsung's new top-selling product, and "has concluded that it is an infringing device and accordingly intends to move for leave to add the Galaxy S4 as an infringing product". Apple's current list of 22 accused products does not include the S4, but a footnote contains the statement from which I just quoted. Apple says it will drop another product from its list of 22 accused products once it has permission to add the S4 to this litigation.
The two sides are also continuing to disagree over what constitutes a single product, with Samsung arguing that each carrier version of its devices should count as a separate product, seeking to shift the balance by taking advantage of its significantly larger number of devices compared to Apple's lineup.

Apple's list of 22 products currently covers a number of Samsung's smartphone and tablet devices, while Samsung's own list includes virtually every device and service offered by Apple, including all iPad and Mac models, all iPhone models dating back to the iPhone 3G, the last three iPod touch generations, 1st and 3rd generation Apple TV models, and even iTunes and iCloud. While the battle between Apple and Samsung has focused mainly on mobile devices until now, Samsung's counterclaims have sought to bring Apple's Mac lineup and services into the dispute by asserting infringement of a patent related to multimedia synchronization across devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeks to Add Samsung Galaxy S4 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit

Lacos

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Germany
They should concentrate on making beautiful devices..
Seems Samsung S4 is a heavy rival for Apple.. Good for us, well i am swithing this week to a S4 - iOS and the small screens got boring.. :)

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Well if they would spend more time making better products and less time busting Samsung's balls they might be a bit more productive.

I know, Apple does things incrementally. They're so darn behind though. It's really pathetic. I hope they do a major overhaul on iOS7 instead of a stupid flat design. I'm not really that excited for something so small and mediocre.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yawn. MR needs a back page where they can post all this patent BS.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Color me surprised. Apple the worlds biggest cry baby does it again.

To me this just tells me Apple is running scared.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Okay... the lawsuits were fun to follow the the first time around but now it's just annoying and ridiculous. It's never going to end as long as both companies keep releasing phones. In a month Samsung will add the iPhone 5S/6 and iPad mini 2 retina and in another few months Apple will add the Galaxy S IV Mini Mini version II and Galaxy Note V Gargantuan.

Less suing more innovating please. Both of you.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
seriously, so annoying. didn't cook even say he never supported the idea of taking samsung to court? why won't they just stop it? the judges should fine both of them 1bn and donate it to children in africa

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is one of the problems with owning a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The second Apple wins the lawsuit, they will issue self-destruct orders to all Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. You'll be in the middle of a phone call on your S4, oblivious to the court hearings, and *poof* your phone will be gone, up in smoke.

True story, bro.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As much as I want to give the next iPhone a chance again, it's tactics like this that keep me looking elsewhere for my mobile needs. Shame on you Apple. Innovate, don't litigate! :cool:

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
i dont have any insider information, but if samsung really stole from apple, they deserve nothing less, but more.

i wonder what kind of spin would steve jobs put on this

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
seriously, so annoying. didn't cook even say he never supported the idea of taking samsung to court? why won't they just stop it? the judges should fine both of them 1bn and donate it to children in africa

Yes, because we can all see that donating to Africa IS proved to be working.
So that the children can grow up happy and have a ton more children in geometric progression, so Samsung and Apple can donate another 10 billion and so on...

That's brilliant.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This is one of the problems with owning a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The second Apple wins the lawsuit, they will issue self-destruct orders to all Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. You'll be in the middle of a phone call on your S4, oblivious to the court hearings, and *poof* your phone will be gone, up in smoke.

True story, bro.

Only possible with plastic:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.