Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The autopilot isn't activated on take off?

Some pilots turn the auto pilot on soon after takeoff. If this aircraft had just taken off, odds are low the autopilot was on, although it is possible. However if the autopilot is malfunctioning, the pilots can turn it off.

I don't know if you guys remember, but years ago 737s had some issues with rudder hardovers resulting in at least 2 crashes (Denver, Pittsburg). That was not an autopilot issue, but a hydraulic issue. There could be a mechanical malfunction, but as far as I remember none of them have involved driving the aircraft into a nose high stall.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Some pilots turn the auto pilot on soon after takeoff. If this aircraft had just taken off, odds are low the autopilot was on, although it is possible. However if the autopilot is malfunctioning, the pilots can turn it off.

I don't know if you guys remember, but years ago 737s had some issues with rudder hardovers resulting in at least 2 crashes (Denver, Pittsburg). That was not an autopilot issue, but a hydraulic issue. There could be a mechanical malfunction, but as far as I remember none of them have involved driving the aircraft into a nose high stall.

I can't remember the exact accident or exactly what happened, but there was one accident where the jack screw malfunctioned which put the plane into a position the pilots couldn't get out of and crashed.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Yes. ASA261, though the jackscrew issue was only limited to the MD80, DC9s, F100s, and B727s. They weren't applicable anywhere else.

The Denver incident (IIRC, it went down over Colorado Springs) was with UAL (UAL585 to be exact), and that was with a B737, similar to USA427 over near KPIT. Those were problems iwth the rudders on the B737 classic series (-200, -300, -400, and possibly -500 models). Nothing really to do with autopilot there, either.

I think we're still looking at pitch/angle of attack/rate of climb, possible shift in cargo, and stall.

BL.

Last edited:

redsnapper

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Its a tragic event and the causes of such crashes are doubtless many and complex. Whats required is careful attention to detail.

Sometimes small things slip by even the most careful observers as evidenced by the fact that in three pages no one has commented on the fact that the headline misspells 'Boeing' as 'Boing'! :D

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Its a tragic event and the causes of such crashes are doubtless many and complex. Whats required is careful attention to detail.

Sometimes small things slip by even the most careful observers as evidenced by the fact that in three pages no one has commented on the fact that the headline misspells 'Boeing' as 'Boing'! :D

I noticed but didn't feel it was worth commenting on. Nor the misspelled "Afganistan".

Nor teh too mising apostrophies in you're frist peragraph. ;-]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.