Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Limelight, from 9:42am, is a new iPhone app that is designed to allow users to create a comprehensive movie database filled with films that they have watched and films they want to watch in the future.

Unlike similar movie library apps like TodoMovies, Limelight focuses on social interactions, allowing users to follow one another to share movie recommendations among friends. It is similar to Goodreads, the social cataloging site that lets its users share book recommendations and reviews.

limelight.jpg
While Limelight does not support in-depth reviews, it does provide users with a 5-star rating for movies along with Rotten Tomatoes scores. It also offers movie trailers and pulls cast information from TheMovieDB.

In addition to showing movie choices from followed users, the app displays movies in categories like popular, upcoming (to be released), in the theater, and top rated. There is a curated Editor's Choice list filled with top movie picks to further facilitate content discovery.
With Limelight, you can:
- Organize your entire movie library
- Keep track of movies you want to watch, and when they're released to theaters
- Follow your friends libraries, so you can always find something good to watch tonight
- Rate movies you've already seen. Let your friends know if you liked it or not!
- Browse thousands of movies. Find new movies to watch, and rekindle memories of ones you have already seen. You can get lost for days!
- Watch beautiful trailers in our custom video player designed specifically for movie trailers. Did we mention that you can use AirPlay, too?
Limelight is an iPhone-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Limelight for iPhone Lets Users Catalog and Share Movie Choices

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
I am still negative on paying for social network apps - when at the same time one helping the company to build their user database for after reselling purposessss. :p

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I have the app My Movie and like it for cataloging the 245 bluray disks that I have purchased. It allows me to use the iphone camera as a barcode scanner to scan my bluray Discs. Once in a while it crashes and for some movies if crashes all the time. That is why I gave this a try. Looks like it only keeps track of movies that you watch or want to watch. Not own. So I am disappointed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I still can't believe Finding Dory wasn't an April Fools joke.

Pixar tends to shuffle movies that are still in the works around up until a year before their release. Finding Dory is far enough off that it may well be shuffled back several times until it emerges as something completely different from what we've heard so far (have we heard anything besides a title, yet?)

Personally, I'm more surprised that Ender's Game is finally happening... I've read over several of Card's old scripts for it and have been following the news about it for years and I'm surprised that it's finally going to be released. November 1st is going to be... either amazing or terrible... Ender's Game has been my absolute favorite book for so long... I feel like the trailer has prepared me a bit and properly calibrated my expectations...

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
A Better Alternative

Or sign up to letterboxd.com

It's free, but there are paid options as well. You can write reviews, add star ratings, make lists, follow people, like their reviews, etc.

It's not an app, but there is mobile version of the site, so you can make a web app.

If you want to follow me, my username is anwarul210 ;)

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
IMDB watchlist

IMDB has a watchlist now that you can access via the website or the app. Does the same thing... I wonder how this is different/better?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I am still negative on paying for social network apps - when at the same time one helping the company to build their user database for after reselling purposessss. :p

Try my app TodoMovies, it is where limelight actually took their idea :D.

----------

I built TodoMovies because I wanted to have an app just focused on Watchlists. I didn't want to dig around for buttons and options or required an account. Also, the IMDB app is ugly. Other features in my app that ain't in IMDB includes Bonus scenes support, photo galleries (this includes fan-made art...i.e wallpapers etc) and a kickass iTunes store integration. Not trying to brag or anything but there are a million reasons why someone would want to build an alternative to IMDB.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I think what everyone is missing is that it also catalogs your existing library. My question is can I import my Delicious Library into it?

aalittle

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
a free alternative

Looks like Limelight is no longer. Might want to try MediaBox - nice thing is that media box is a todo list for *all* of your media, not just movies. List. Rate. Share. bitly.com/getmediabox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.