Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
In a matter of 12 hours, this board has convinced me to not go with Sprint...meaning no Sprint TV.

Found out my company alos gets a 23% discount at At&T.

Wondering, does anyone use AT&T Mobile TV and if so, is it solid?

Looking to replace the cable with HULU/Amazon Prime, but want to to have the ESPN Mpbile.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
In a matter of 12 hours, this board has convinced me to not go with Sprint...meaning no Sprint TV.

Looking to replace the cable with HULU/Amazon Prime, but want to to have the ESPN Mpbile.
If u go with att you will be locked into a 2 year contract. Since the industry is changing drastically I would not want to be lock in. If you go T-Mobile there is no contract, in the rare case you don't like T-Mobile. Tmobile's phones will work on att's network. You will be giving yourself options.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
You could go with T-Mobile and use Aereo (if you live near NYC, else I'm sure there's alternatives) to replace AT&T TV.

I have a feeling the big 3 are gonna be moving away from contracts if T-Mo succeeds, so I wouldn't want to be stuck with an AT&T contract right now.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
In order to "cut the cord" you will need unlimited data. So sprint and T-Mobile technically are your only choices. There is a T-Mobile TV app

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Depends on where you live OP. TMobile is pretty much trash outside of NYC. People here get so hung up on unlimited data, but what's the point of it if you only get EDGE everywhere?

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX

The T-Mobile TV and ATT TV apps are pretty much identical in my experience. They lag sometimes but they have an ok number of shows and stuff. I would much rather download the ABC or xfinity app because they are alot more solid and provide a better experience with more shows and live tv and stuff.

OP, where do you live? I would check T-Mobile's coverage in your area and if they are good then I would go with them....just because they are no contract and I believe thats where the industry is headed....you dont want to be locked in a 2 year contract if you dont need to.

Also, I realize that T-Mobile 4G coverage kinda sucks outside of the metropolitan areas. However, if you are like me and spend 99% of your time in urban or suburban areas, then you will not even notice. (I live in Richmond, TX which is the outskirts of Houston and get great 4G coverage. There's a T-Mobile LTE tower right next to my house :D)

It's your choice though and if you do alot of traveling, then ATT may be best for your needs

Last edited:

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
T-mobile seems like a good get for most, but the coverage in Lincoln, NE sucks really bad. So it's not really an option.

They don't even have a store in town compared to 3+ for Verizon, Sprint, and ATT

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
T-mobile seems like a good get for most, but the coverage in Lincoln, NE sucks really bad. So it's not really an option.

They don't even have a store in town compared to 3+ for Verizon, Sprint, and ATT

Well then I would go with ATT in your case. Try to get a large size data plan if you plan on using alot of the mobile TV feature. (I know it can be expensive :()

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Well then I would go with ATT in your case. Try to get a large size data plan if you plan on using alot of the mobile TV feature. (I know it can be expensive :()

Actually, I will use it on WIFI at home and work, so I probably can get by with just 4GB for my out and about stuff.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011

Wanting to confirm, will I be able to use Mobile TV from AT&T with my WIFI, for better streaming and so it doesn't eat up into my account usage.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Actually, I will use it on WIFI at home and work, so I probably can get by with just 4GB for my out and about stuff.
not even 4 days into my billing cycle streaming live TV and FaceTime 10gigs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 121

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Wanting to confirm, will I be able to use Mobile TV from AT&T with my WIFI, for better streaming and so it doesn't eat up into my account usage.

Interestingly, I can't find the att mobile tv app in the App Store. The tmobile and sprint one are showing....just not the att one. As for the tmobile version I can confirm that it will work on wifi. You have to start the app while you are on data so it verifies your account, but then you can exit the app, start wifi and use the app normally.

As for why the att mobile tv app isn't showing...I dunno about that. You may want to call att and see if they have taken it down temporarily or something. The company that makes the app is called mobitv and according to them, the app should be available. I've attached a screen shot of what happens when I try to find the att app in the App Store.

http://www.mobitv.com/mobitv-powered-solutions/operators/att/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 112

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
If u go with att you will be locked into a 2 year contract. Since the industry is changing drastically I would not want to be lock in. If you go T-Mobile there is no contract, in the rare case you don't like T-Mobile. Tmobile's phones will work on att's network. You will be giving yourself options.

Everyone is sadly mistaken thinking that you can just walk away from T-Mobile if you'd like to. Just because you don't sign a 2 yr contract doesn't mean its that simple. You still have to pay for that device that you are financing. So all that no contract stuff is just a play on words. You are still obligated to T-Mobile until that device is paid off

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I found the app in iTunes Store. Got same message when I searched App Store from my verizon phone.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Everyone is sadly mistaken thinking that you can just walk away from T-Mobile if you'd like to. Just because you don't sign a 2 yr contract doesn't mean its that simple. You still have to pay for that device that you are financing. So all that no contract stuff is just a play on words. You are still obligated to T-Mobile until that device is paid off

Wrong you get a refund up until 14 days, after 14 days pay off the device and goto another carrier. I have no commitment to T-Mobile's service. No EFT!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
not even 4 days into my billing cycle streaming live TV and FaceTime 10gigs

And this is exactly why we can't have nice things. 4 days and 10gb of mobile data? That is ridiculous. This is exactly why AT&T/VZW have gotten rid of their unlimited plans. Too many people abusing them.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
And this is exactly why we can't have nice things. 4 days and 10gb of mobile data? That is ridiculous. This is exactly why AT&T/VZW have gotten rid of their unlimited plans. Too many people abusing them.
Abuse that's the original intent of the entire industry.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Nope. Att did say only 2 percent use more than one gig, yet they don't have a one gig individual plan to reflect this.

----------

Wrong you get a refund up until 14 days, after 14 days pay off the device and goto another carrier. I have no commitment to T-Mobile's service. No EFT!

It's all semantics. One way or the other you have to pay off the carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.