Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's Google I/O keynote, Google unveiled Google Play Game Services, which is designed to compete with Apple's Game Center. Like Game Center, Game Services features real-time multiplayer capabilities, leaderboards, cloud saves, and achievements.

gameservices.jpg
The service is not limited to Android developers as Google has developed it to link gaming across Android, iOS, and the web. Google will be providing the SDK for Game Services to both iOS and web developers in addition to Android developers. As noted by Engadget, Game Services more closely resembles the now-defunct OpenFeint social gaming platform than Game Center.
Unlike Apple's Game Center application, what Google's offering is backend support for developers rather than a standalone application. Think of it more like OpenFeint than Game Center - you can sign in using your Google+ login in-game, and that login will track your identity (including leaderboard scores, achievements and saves) across various games and devices.
Several Android games have been updated with the new gaming service, including Osmos, Kingdom Rush, and Super Stickman Golf 2. The service and the SDK are launching today, with the following features:
- Achievements that increase engagement and promote different styles of play.
- Social and public leaderboards that seamlessly use Google+ circles to track high scores across friends and across the world.
- Cloud saves that provide a simple and streamlined storage API to store game saves and settings. Now players never have to replay Level 1 again.
- Real-time multiplayer for easy addition of cooperative or competitive game play on Android devices.
Google's Game Services comes several years after the introduction of Apple's Game Center. Game Center was originally introduced in 2010 and underwent a major overhaul in late 2011.

Article Link: Google Unveils Google Play Game Services for Android, iOS and Web

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I guess I am just not a gamer. I dislike this idea...just as I hate Game Center.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them. I'll be curious to see how Apple responds, or if they even bother. It may not be a "threat" in the conventional sense since Google is slowly removing barriers for people between Android and Apple. Makes it easier to stay with Apple for some or move to Apple for some. Of course, the other way becomes easier, too.

And Google's strategy for competing with Facebook is becoming more clear, too. Using their already existing platform they can provide more interesting and timely connections with people that extend far beyond photo sharing and status updates.

It's all moot to me, though, since I don't need or desire those services. But I'm sure for many people it's a significant benefit.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I can totally dig the cross platform aspect of Google. They just want their services on as many devices as possible. Nothing negative to say about that, if the services work better then I have no problem using them...

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Again Google copying everything from others. Pathetic. But that is Google - spyware Xerox machine.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Lol we've had Game Center since like 3 years now and cloud save since last year ... Only move good is cross platform ..

Only good move? Maybe, but that's a huge move. With so many people who like to use or at least have the choice of using different platforms within there own eco system moving to cross I'm finding it more important.

I love how candy crush is linked and cloud saved with facebook and I can compare how I'm doing compared to my facebook friends since most of my friends are on fb.

This move could also help bring more people to Google +. I have a Google + account but never use it at this point. My circle of friends are FB people.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them.

This was pretty much exactly what everyone thought Google was planning in 2008. It was Android that was the surprise.

You're right, I've been seeing more people write about it recently, but I'm a bit confused as to why 5-year old news is suddenly getting all of these articles. I guess it's because more apps are coming out now, but Google has always made a ton of money off of iOS. Even more than from Android by many people's guesstimates.

You're right that it's smart, but it's not news.

Again Google copying everything from others. Pathetic. But that is Google - spyware Xerox machine.

So I guess Apple copied Open Feint and X-Box Live, huh?

It's not like this is an incredibly obvious idea that every company is eventually going to make for themselves, right?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them. I'll be curious to see how Apple responds, or if they even bother. It may not be a "threat" in the conventional sense since Google is slowly removing barriers for people between Android and Apple. Makes it easier to stay with Apple for some or move to Apple for some. Of course, the other way becomes easier, too.

And Google's strategy for competing with Facebook is becoming more clear, too. Using their already existing platform they can provide more interesting and timely connections with people that extend far beyond photo sharing and status updates.

It's all moot to me, though, since I don't need or desire those services. But I'm sure for many people it's a significant benefit.

Google makes more money off of iOS users...

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
3 years of no one using it. Most run away after seeing the hideous, annoying, repeated sign in prompts from Game Center. Execution matters.

Agree that Execution does matter. I'll run away from this after the annoying, invasive Google+ prompts.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
their translation service seems pretty neat unlike apple who tells their devs to translate but gives them no tools to do so / help them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.