Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, I plane to buy the $799 mac mini and upgrade the ram to 16gb. I want to be able to encode videos at times but mostly want to be able to stream to multiple rokus, and idevices at the same time. I will be storing my videos on external drives. Now do I leave the mini on at all times if I always want it to be ready to go or is the plex app able to "wake" it from sleep? Also do my hard drives stay on at all times also then?

imobber

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
I've got my mac mini plugged into Ethernet and turned on wake on LAN and the plex app wakes the mini. I have a usb drive attached for time machine backups and that sleeps/wakes when the mac does. I think you should be fine.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
my 2012 i7 quad was registering like 14w on a load meter

i just turn off sleep and let it run 24/7

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I have a mac mini i use for a plex server and use an external drobo for my media. I have it all the time, and the hard drive sleep after being idle. Leave it on all the time.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've got a 3 year old Mac mini that acts as a Plex server, an iTunes server, runs a Windows virtual machine for Quicken, and performs about 10 other more traditional server functions. 8TB of external drives. It runs 24/7 (including the Windows VM). I've also got two minis that are used as entertainment clients, as well as an Apple TV. They sleep when not in use.

There is really no reason to have 16GB on your server. Mine gets buy just fine, even with all its simultaneous processes, with 4GB. The other minis each have 2GB.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks, not really worried about using power but more I dont want to kill the mini by leaving in on all the time nor do I want to burn out my external drive. I think it would be easiest to just leave on all the time.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Thanks, not really worried about using power but more I dont want to kill the mini by leaving in on all the time nor do I want to burn out my external drive. I think it would be easiest to just leave on all the time.

Note likely. 3+ years of 24/7 and I've had to replace 2 of 6 drives (1 internal drive, 1 external drive) but in just this past year. Seems to be a fairly common drive life. The rest of the mini just keeps on running, as do my entertainment minis. However I sleep those rather than turning them off.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I leave mine running constantly, that way my tv shows and movies can automatically download when they made available

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Doesn't that model use laptop drives? Those are more expensive per GB than desktop drives. It would save on the power usage though. Take a look at Synology. Love their products.

Yes, I was looking at the 1tb wd scorpio blue drives. Will look at the synology though.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Doesn't that model use laptop drives? Those are more expensive per GB than desktop drives. It would save on the power usage though. Take a look at Synology. Love their products.

I totally second the Synology recommendation. I purchased a DS411J, which is the last generation model, with 4 2tb drives for $400. Great purchase.

A great feature is I took the USB drives I had been using for media storage and they now backup the NAS nightly. Works like a charm.

It also has a built in audio server that I use to access my music remotely on my iPhone. Was a nice bonus.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Ended up getting a brand new drobo mini for $400 today. Now going to order four 1tb wd hard drives and the mini. Should I go for the $799 modelor is the $599 sufficient?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.