Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
I could. The reviews show that it doesn't always provide enough power (depending on the device). Anyway, it's one more thing to have to buy.

It just makes the iMac a not all in one computer. First add a modem for when you must send some over the phone line faxes. Then add an external DVD drive for those times that only a drive can handle what you want & need to do. Then add an external FW800 port adapter as like many here we have 10 or more FW800 drives & no, :0" YSB 2 drives, let alone an USB3 model. We now have an all in four computer. This makes the new iMac look pretty junky.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
It just makes the iMac a not all in one computer. First add a modem for when you must send some over the phone line faxes. Then add an external DVD drive for those times that only a drive can handle what you want & need to do. Then add an external FW800 port adapter as like many here we have 10 or more FW800 drives & no, :0" YSB 2 drives, let alone an USB3 model. We now have an all in four computer. This makes the new iMac look pretty junky.

Exactly!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

How do you handle your floppies, tape backup, PCMCIA cards, and SCSI peripherals?

/Jim

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
How do you handle your floppies, tape backup, PCMCIA cards, and SCSI peripherals?

/Jim

Those technologies are irrelevant now, but FW800; not so much. It's faster than USB 2, which is still very common. Apple kept a FW800 port on the Mini; why not one on the iMac?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Those technologies are irrelevant now, but FW800; not so much. It's faster than USB 2, which is still very common. Apple kept a FW800 port on the Mini; why not one on the iMac?

My post was tongue in cheek... but:

• Modem: in 2013???
  • FW: primarily used by the pro/enthusiast market... and Apple provided a "near free" TB dongle... that pretty much disappears into the cable... hardly an inconvenience. The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
  • DVD: I personally wish they kept it for another couple of years... but I only use it a couple of times per year (and decreasing)... so using an external really isn't a problem.

Personally, I think all of the above are either already extinct... or [DVD] going extinct. I appreciate that Apple is not afraid to push the removal of legacy... sometimes even quicker than I would prefer. It helps accelerate technology transitions.

/Jim

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
My post was tongue in cheek... but:

• Modem: in 2013???
  • FW: primarily used by the pro/enthusiast market... and Apple provided a "near free" TB dongle... that pretty much disappears into the cable... hardly an inconvenience. The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.
  • DVD: I personally wish they kept it for another couple of years... but I only use it a couple of times per year (and decreasing)... so using an external really isn't a problem.

Personally, I think all of the above are either already extinct... or [DVD] going extinct. I appreciate that Apple is not afraid to push the removal of legacy... sometimes even quicker than I would prefer. It helps accelerate technology transitions.

/Jim

Yup; got your humor. :)

For me, I was ok seeing the optical drive go away (even though I just recently re-ripped my entire CD collection into the Apple lossless format). But seeing FW go away was a little puzzling, given its capabilities and minor ubiquity.

In the end though, you're right: Apple's not afraid to push technology by leaving the old behind.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The market is quickly moving to FW as evidenced by the FW excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.

Quoting myself:

I made a mistake. The statement above should have been TB... not FW.

Corrected version: The market is quickly moving to TB as evidenced by the TB excitement at NAB a few weeks ago.

/Jim

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Your opinion is not requested

I'm just curious if anyone else is kind of annoyed with the "form over function" gaffe that is the iMac.
I was thinking of picking one of these up for my studio before I had the day to day experience of actually sitting at one. We have a 21.5" here at work that I have to maintain. I find it extremely annoying that every single connection is on the back.
I can kind of understand the USB, ethernet and TB connectors being on the back. In many usage scenarios I bet it just gets plugged in and the only thing that changes are the batteries for the wireless input devices.
Putting the SD card reader on the back is just idiotic. Esp since the SD card readers on Macs are so damn finicky and don't even hold the card all the way in. Thing is, you can put an extension cable on the USB ports or even plug in a hub. SD cards don't work like that. So we have just made do by plugging in a card reader on a USB cord. Kind of obviates the need for the onboard reader!

It would have been a much better design if the ports were either on the side or the bottom. That way they are accessible even if it's backed up against a wall (or in the back corner of a cube the way these get set up in most offices).

but then it wouldn't look as thin!
Sorry Apple, nobody thought the previous iMac was too fat.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Indeed! I seriously banked on that occuring. I actually told a few of my colleagues not to bother with that stupid lightpeak thing or USB 3.0 because FW1600/3200 was gonna rock!
Guess Intel and Apple had a sit down...

I am pretty impressed with TB. Not everyone needs it... but those who do, quickly realize that TB is actually a bargain. In many ways, similar to FW... except better.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.