Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I don't make a change just for the sake of making a change. iMovie 6 works just fine for me...intuitive unlike the newer editions...no problems...too many jump to the next version just because its new. New is not always better...Here is an example personified.

what is? what is the example? how is it personified?

i suspect the latest imovie works better at importing and working w/ projects originally created on iOS, which is what i use it for.

DrewJM

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
I still use iMovie for throwing together some clips or just adding some transitions/subtitles for some music clips (Using Premier/Final Cut for other things).

Hoping these bug fixes target ALL of the issues I have run into.

YES, iMovie is not top notch and not entirely useful for serious editing, BUT it does have a purpose for some and can be very useful depending on your goal.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So did they ever add native avchd support? That would probably get me to finally upgrade from an old version. Converting every file to an even bigger one really sucks.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Since I realized I had full YouTube Partnership, I cleaned up an existing one-off project and tried uploading to YouTube directly from iMovie. It didn't seem to work, even with the latest update installed.

Still had to use the web interface to upload to YouTube, so meh.

I don't care for the constant scrubbing of video/audio when merely moving the mouse around to get to the menus. Maybe that, at least, I can mess with and make it not work on purpose.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
So did they ever add native avchd support? That would probably get me to finally upgrade from an old version. Converting every file to an even bigger one really sucks.

AVCHD is a compressed format to maximize storage on limited-storage devices like the cameras. There are several sites that give the technical reasons why AVCHD is not an editing format (summary - it records the full frame only so often then records several frames as deltas. It takes a lot of CPU to have to go back and forth within the movie to render/edit it). That is the reason for iMovie's conversion to a larger file size format.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
And yet there are other apps that support the format natively. And cpu is not a problem on my system, the format has been around for years and even the low end macs are much more powerful than they used to be. Does any version of FC support it, or does that convert as well?

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
new version, new version, new version, new version 60p support, mts support, better rendering, 64 bit, time remapping, PLEEEEEEEEEEEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Hello? It's called Final Cut Pro X and it already exists.

----------

This is iMovie '11 for the record.

That is what the previous poster was talking about.

Version 9 = '11.

Which is why the update is called iMovie '11, Version 9.0.9.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Hello? It's called Final Cut Pro X and it already exists.

Actually, Its called Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and it competes directly with iMovie - FCPX?? A $300 "pro" app? Not what I need.

I continue to use iMovie because its a cheap and fast way to process lots of short sports films.

Besides Final Cut "pro" X is probably getting close EOL status. No real professionals use it. Apple lost that market to Adobe and Avid.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
How is Adobe Premiere Elements? I tried to use a trial version 2 or 3 months ago on a mid-2010 iMac, but it wouldn't run correctly. Just starting a new project, not even being able to import anything, would cause the program to hang and I had to kill it every time.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
I got premiere elements 11 from Amazon for $65 during a sale BUT its the PC version.
About a week prior to the purchase, I picked up an HP at a garage sale for $35 and I upgraded the processor to an AMD i7 equivalent for $45. It already had a good hard drive and 8 gb of RAM. I did a clean install using the restore disks and installed premiere elements.

The PC version has never locked up, crashed or hung and runs flawlessly. I can't speak to the Mac version. I use it while iMovie is rendering to do other projects. Everything about it is really nice. The workflow is a little different and I prefer iMovie because I can get closer to the clips and really get down on each frame better than any other program.

The killer tool on elements is the time remapping and slow motion tools they kill the iMovie slw motion but for precision titling I like iMovie so each has their own strengths. Clip management is better on Elements and output options are also better on elements. So both can peacefully coexist and powerful pcs are cheap enough to have one just for editing

peppespizzapie

Suspended
Jul 5, 2010
you're good! what else can you do? :D

Uhhhhh......edit in Imovie and in Final Cut Pro X ??:D

----------

Actually, Its called Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and it competes directly with iMovie - FCPX?? A $300 "pro" app? Not what I need.

I continue to use iMovie because its a cheap and fast way to process lots of short sports films.

Besides Final Cut "pro" X is probably getting close EOL status. No real professionals use it. Apple lost that market to Adobe and Avid.

Says WHO?? You know i mostly read these forums, and after a couple of years i see more and more edits by "professionals". SO many that i started thinking if all these so called professionals had some work, they didnt have time to edit here so much.
Im completley satisfied with Final cut pro X. I saw the commercial from adobe's "new" premiere. What they presented as "new" is in FXP X for nearly 2 years already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.