Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

say_the_same_thing.jpg
Apple today announced the winner of its "50 Billion App Countdown" promotion that saw the company pass that milestone on Wednesday afternoon.

Word game Say the Same Thing from the band OK Go was the milestone download, with Brandon Ashmore from Mentor, Ohio making the winning download. Ashmore will will receive an iTunes Gift Card worth US$10,000. For the first time, Apple also gave the fifty downloaders after the big winner US$500 iTunes Gift Cards.
"Apple would like to thank our incredible customers and developers for topping 50 billion apps downloaded," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The App Store completely transformed how people use their mobile devices and created a thriving app ecosystem that has paid out over nine billion dollars to developers. We're absolutely floored to cross this milestone in less than five years."
Apple ran similar promotions for ten billion and twenty-five billion downloads, in January 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The App Store took just under five years to hit the fifty billion download mark, though the rate of downloads has been accelerating and is now at more than 20 billion app downloads per year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$10,000 worth of iTunes is a lot. It would be nice if some of that were actual cash. Nevertheless, it's a big prize just for downloading something.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
How Close Did I Get?

What would make this fun is if you were, like me, trying to win by using multiple devices and downloading right about the time the final app was downloaded if Apple would tell you how close you got. I didn't win anything & probably never will, but it'd be cool to see if somehow I was only a handful of downloads off.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Do you think Apple pick the exact 50 billionth app as the winner, or they look a few downloads either side for one that is worthy of publicizing?

At the rate the apps are downloaded, and adding in server latencies around the world and rounding errors etc, I'm sure there are multiple 'winners' for a given second, or even a hundreth of a second. Perhaps a lottery from the 'simultaneous' downloaders (that's not publicized for obvious reasons).

Pure speculation.

It would be interesting to know how they count the exact winner.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Do you think Apple pick the exact 50 billionth app as the winner, or they look a few downloads either side for one that is worthy of publicizing?

Nah they just look at all the downloads on the same second and just randomly choose one. Exactly what app is the winning download means nothing. It's the whole 50 billion promo that apple wants.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today announced the winner of its "50 Billion App Countdown" promotion that saw the company pass that milestone on Wednesday afternoon.

Word game Say the Same Thing from the band OK Go was the milestone download, with Brandon Ashmore from Mentor, Ohio making the winning download. Ashmore will will receive an iTunes Gift Card worth US$10,000. For the first time, Apple also gave the fifty downloaders after the big winner US$500 iTunes Gift Cards.Apple ran similar promotions for ten billion and twenty-five billion downloads, in January 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The App Store took just under five years to hit the fifty billion download mark, though the rate of downloads has been accelerating and is now at more than 20 billion app downloads per year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest

I see the "Same Thing" icon and instantly think "Samsung": does anybody else think they put their cheeky little monkeys up to buying endless copies of this game so that it could be the "winner" of this contest?

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
$10,000 worth of iTunes is a lot. It would be nice if some of that were actual cash. Nevertheless, it's a big prize just for downloading something.

I'd uses it to migrate my iTunes purchases from my Gmail Email to my iCloud Email. But I would still have A LOT left over. I wonder if it could be used for iRadio subscription as well. (if apple does announce a subscription based music service)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.

Setting your poor attempt at sarcasm aside, I'm sure you're more than aware there's a lot more than just "fart apps" on the App Store. There's a lot more quality on the App Store than the Play Store, that's for sure.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

The guidelines state that the winnings are not transferable, and fart apps are not the only applications sold in the app store.
I was never aware that large amounts of money can be so large that they cannot be used. Troll harder next time.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

The article states it's an iTunes gift card so the winner should be able to use it for apps, music, movies, books, etc.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

Apparently haven't explored the app store very deeply, or you have limited interests.

It's a great prize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.