Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
This whole thread can end now.

Just get apple care + and your covered. You can run your ipad naked and if it gets scuffed, cracked or whatever. Just pay the 50 and get it replaced.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008

Just get apple care + and your covered. You can run your ipad naked and if it gets scuffed, cracked or whatever. Just pay the 50 and get it replaced.

Nice try, but you only get two replacements under Apple Care.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
But if you don't care about the looks, why do you care about if it looks scratched? Or do you think scratched plastic/leather or whatever looks better than scratched aluminium?

My way of thinking is that down the line I will probably sell the item and unscratched aluminum will get a better price to put toward the new one than scratched up stuff. Scratched up aluminum affects the resale value, a scratched up case can be removed prior to sale.

If I had piles of cash in a 1st world country I may not worry about it.

----------

If I drop my iPad i'll just shell out the $150 my home insurance company wants to replace electronics and get a new one, and if they don't want to pay for some reason i'll justbuy one. It's not like you have to sell an arm to buy an iPad.

You are assuming everyone lives in a 1st world country. In many places ipads cost more than in the US and people earn far less. Over 600.00 for an ipad where minimum wage is about 5.00 a day some would almost have to sell an arm.

Not everywhere is the US.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I store mine in a case as I don't want to scratch the back, but usually remove it from the case when I'm using it.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
You are assuming everyone lives in a 1st world country. In many places ipads cost more than in the US and people earn far less. Over 600.00 for an ipad where minimum wage is about 5.00 a day some would almost have to sell an arm.

Not everywhere is the US.

You're also assuming everyone in the US can afford one like that. Some people just can't shell out the $$$ flat out and have to save for one. First World Country or not, not everybody earns high amounts of money.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I care about appearance for personal/OCD reasons as well as for resale. I take great care of all my goodies (OCD) and knowing that, eventually, down the road I'm going to be selling it. The better condition the device is in will always help out on the resale side of things and, personally, I can't stand the appearance of dings/scratches/etc.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I care about appearance for personal/OCD reasons as well as for resale. I take great care of all my goodies (OCD) and knowing that, eventually, down the road I'm going to be selling it. The better condition the device is in will always help out on the resale side of things and, personally, I can't stand the appearance of dings/scratches/etc.

I'll admit to horizontal upgrades just because I accidentally scratched the unit I am using and can't stand to see it every time I use the device.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

If anything the thread should end with "do what works for you". Applecare+ isn't relevant to all the reasons posted. A couple of posts above yours mention a stand, for example. Nothing is one size fits all. If Applecare+ works for you, great. Stop assuming that it meets everyone else's needs/wants/priorities (same for any topic).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you don't care about looks you don't have to replace anything if it gets scuffed.

It's pretty simple. When an iPad gets scuffed... it's forever, unless some drastic steps are taken to remove the scuffs. With a case, one always has the option to remove the case and have it look good. Or to switch cases for a different look and feel. As for the feeling of the aluminum, I found it slippery.

What I ended up doing was using a smartCOVER (not to be confused with a smartCASE) and applying clear contact paper on the back carefully cutting out an opening for the camera lens.

It had a much more secure feel and didn't detract from the appearance... and still able to insert it into a case should the mood strike.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
We paid a lot of money for our iPads and want to keep them in as good condition as possible, so if we want to put it in a case we will.

*Close thread

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.