Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0, an update for Mid-2012 MacBook Air models to address an issue with recovering from crashes.
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012) models. This update addresses a storage firmware issue that, in rare cases, may cause a system to fail to recover from a crash.
macbook_air_2012_flash.jpg
Flash storage module from mid-2012 MacBook Air (Source: iFixit)
The update is 1.69 MB and requires OS X 10.7.5 or OS X 10.8.3.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0

Picard323

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Scunthorpe UK
Not Needed????

I have a mid 2012 13" Macbook Air, I ran software update but it didn't find any update. So i downloaded it direct off Apple website and on opening it said this computer doesn't require this update. Just a bit puzzled about it. Anyone else finding this?

Picard323

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have a mid 2012 13" Macbook Air, I ran software update but it didn't find any update. So i downloaded it direct off Apple website and on opening it said this computer doesn't require this update. Just a bit puzzled about it. Anyone else finding this?

Picard323

I just ran the update and only received the new iTunes

shafnitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
The MAS showed the update was available. I installed it, it rebooted, did it's thing, but it keeps showing up in MAS as an available update. Downloading the manual update now to see if that one will stick.

Picard323

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Scunthorpe UK

Picard323

Still not showing up for me. All I got was the iTunes update.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Picard323

Just showed up for me on my 2012 13" MBA (with the Toshiba SSD).

Last edited:

shafnitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Manual update said it requires 10.7 (I'm on 10.8.3) and wouldn't install. So there's obviously something wrong with this update. I tried installing the update from the MAS again, but this time I manually shut down and let it install. Still showing up in the MAS. Oh well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The MAS showed the update was available. I installed it, it rebooted, did it's thing, but it keeps showing up in MAS as an available update. Downloading the manual update now to see if that one will stick.

Manual update said it requires 10.7 (I'm on 10.8.3) and wouldn't install. So there's obviously something wrong with this update. I tried installing the update from the MAS again, but this time I manually shut down and let it install. Still showing up in the MAS. Oh well.

Same here on 2012 13" MBA with 10.8.3. It goes through the update and reboots instead of shutting down like the instructions explain. Tried both manually and through the app store.

I wonder if having Filevault on is causing a problem. I'm decrypting FV2 now to test this theory. Do you have FV2 on by any chance.

Edit: Yep, that was it. I turned off FV2 and waited for it to unencrypt, then applied the update and it worked just fine. You can see the new SSD firmware version TPVABBF0 in sys info.

Last edited:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Apple sources the SSDs from 3 manufacturers (Toshiba and Samsung being 2 of them). This may very well be a firmware update for SSDs from one of those manufacturers. This would explain why manually downloading and installing results in the "this update isn't required" messages some here are getting.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple sources the SSDs from 3 manufacturers (Toshiba and Samsung being 2 of them). This may very well be a firmware update for SSDs from one of those manufacturers. This would explain why manually downloading and installing results in the "this update isn't required" messages some here are getting.

That could be. Mine with the Toshiba SSD took the update.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
My Samsung 256 GB SSD didn't need the update, maybe it's for Toshiba SSD only.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

I think this is exactly right.

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
It'll keep popping up until it's plugged into a power source. Same thing happened last week with the Thunderbolt Firmware Update.

Good luck!

shafnitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Edit: Yep, that was it. I turned off FV2 and waited for it to unencrypt, then applied the update and it worked just fine. You can see the new SSD firmware version TPVABBF0 in sys info.

Yup, that did it! Thanks for the heads up.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Has anyone managed to get this to install? I have tried through MAS and the direct download. Each time the install appears to go well, but on reboot the update reappears in the MAS saying it needs to be installed. I have tried it with FV2 on and off. No difference.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has anyone managed to get this to install? I have tried through MAS and the direct download. Each time the install appears to go well, but on reboot the update reappears in the MAS saying it needs to be installed. I have tried it with FV2 on and off. No difference.

Both shafnitz (a couple posts up) and I got it to install by turning off FV2. Did you wait for FV2 to completely unencrypt the drive before trying the install?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

If you can boot from an external, unencrypted drive, it'll install from there. I did this with mine rather than decrypt and re-encrypt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.