Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eBay today released updates to its iPhone and iPad apps, offering a redesigned user interface that includes multiple search views, an improved bidding process for ending auctions, and new shopping cart functionality.

With the new shopping cart, users can add multiple items to the cart and purchase them at the same time with a single payment. The app also features larger photos and better search results, with the iPad version of the app sporting new photo editing tools.

ebay.jpg
The iPhone app has also gained an interesting new function, allowing users to scan in their drivers licenses with the iPhone's camera to quickly create new accounts.
- New and improved look and feel
- Checkout multiple items at a time with the new eBay Shopping Cart (US and UK only)
- Tap the grid icon at the top of search results to see larger photos (iOS 6 required)*
- Scan your drivers license for fast and easy eBay registration (available in select US states)
- Improved last minute bidding
- Selling support for Spain
- Many bug fixes and enhancements
Both the iPhone and iPad eBay apps can be downloaded from the App Store for free.

eBay for iPhone [Direct Link]
eBay for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: eBay for iOS Updated with Multiple Item Checkout, Driver's License Scanning

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Analysis of your driver's license has determined the following:
  • You have one or more DUI's on your account
  • You have [3] speeding tickets.
  • You are wanted in California

This has resulted in an increase of 65% in your Final Value Fee.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All the GOP radio I've been listening to makes me think I should get Life Lock before I try using this driver's license scanning account creation process.

Also, how many people actually use eBay as a general online shopping website and would actually want to purchase multiple items at once? I normally end up on eBay because there's a very specific product I want and someone is auctioning exactly it.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
After selling 50 auctions on ebay, and getting paid, and paying all their million or so fees, and more fees, and hidden fees, and paypal fees, and shipping fees, and shipping label payment fees, and and and... I just got a call from paypal, and they are sitting on all my money, and said they couldn't release any of my funds until I emailed over copies of my birth cert, social security card, and two forms of gov-issued picture ID (drivers lic & passport). I asked them why, and they said "The patriot act makes us". Funny, it doesn't make anyone else...

I don't know how many of you signed up for a new ebay acct recently, but when you do, they'll contact you at some point, and ask you a series of identity questions, such as, "who in your family lived at 23423 river rd" (my sister...) and "what color was your mothers '99 subaru?"

I answered to get my damn money, but I must say, it was more than a little unsettling that they were able to in under 10 seconds find out pretty detailed information about not just me but family members, especially those who have no online presence.

I'm canceling my service, and am looking into having our lawyers "encourage" them to delete my personal data as well.

Just bad to worse, ebay/paypal...

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
After selling 50 auctions on ebay, and getting paid, and paying all their million or so fees, and more fees, and hidden fees, and paypal fees, and shipping fees, and shipping label payment fees, and and and... I just got a call from paypal, and they are sitting on all my money, and said they couldn't release any of my funds until I emailed over copies of my birth cert, social security card, and two forms of gov-issued picture ID (drivers lic & passport). I asked them why, and they said "The patriot act makes us". Funny, it doesn't make anyone else...

I don't know how many of you signed up for a new ebay acct recently, but when you do, they'll contact you at some point, and ask you a series of identity questions, such as, "who in your family lived at 23423 river rd" (my sister...) and "what color was your mothers '99 subaru?"

I answered to get my damn money, but I must say, it was more than a little unsettling that they were able to in under 10 seconds find out pretty detailed information about not just me but family members, especially those who have no online presence.

I'm canceling my service, and am looking into having our lawyers "encourage" them to delete my personal data as well.

Just bad to worse, ebay/paypal...

I don't believe eBay calls anyone. I think you have been scammed. You better take measures to protect yourself.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I really don't ever think I have needed my DL to buy or sell on eBay. What purpose does scanning a DL serve at all? I updated but I of course will pass on scanning something like my DL.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Scanning your DL serves as a way to identify a seller during sign in, serving as a good measure to prevent scams.

The magnetic strip of your DL simply contains all the information already printed in the front.

In some liquor stores, the clerk asks you for your license, and swipes it on the card reader of their register, and it will tell the clerk whether or not you are authorized to buy liquor based on your D.O.B. stored on the magnetic strip

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Scanning your DL serves as a way to identify a seller during sign in, serving as a good measure to prevent scams.

The magnetic strip of your DL simply contains all the information already printed in the front.

In some liquor stores, the clerk asks you for your license, and swipes it on the card reader of their register, and it will tell the clerk whether or not you are authorized to buy liquor based on your D.O.B. stored on the magnetic strip

Ahhh... it does much much more than that, you realize this, don't you?

If you think the store is passing up the opportunity to take all of your data, store it and forward it on to data aggregators and brokers, you'd be wrong.

In a few (but potentially growing) purchase transactions, your data not only goes to those data brokers, but also straight to the DEA.

Any time someone wants to scan your DL - or anything similar - they're up to something. If they won't simply verify the picture and DOB, that's your extra confirmation.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ahhh... it does much much more than that, you realize this, don't you?

If you think the store is passing up the opportunity to take all of your data, store it and forward it on to data aggregators and brokers, you'd be wrong.

In a few (but potentially growing) purchase transactions, your data not only goes to those data brokers, but also straight to the DEA.

Any time someone wants to scan your DL - or anything similar - they're up to something. If they won't simply verify the picture and DOB, that's your extra confirmation.

I'm sure some companies are doing it, and getting themselves open for a lawsuit.
There's not much we can do. DL scanning is very common nowadays. Try going to a hospital as a visitor, and your DL gets scanned. Some gated communities will also scan your DL to quickly add you to their visitor log.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm sure some companies are doing it, and getting themselves open for a lawsuit.
There's not much we can do. DL scanning is very common nowadays. Try going to a hospital as a visitor, and your DL gets scanned. Some gated communities will also scan your DL to quickly add you to their visitor log.

Maybe where you live, I suppose it could be more common.

But not here. And I really don't know how you think they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit, as you voluntarily gave them your DL.

I'll offer to let someone SEE my DL if there's a legitimate reason for it. If they try to TAKE it from me, I refuse.

It's not been a problem other than Walgreens insisting on scanning it for beer. Guess where I don't buy beer anymore...

Doctor's offices, hospitals, clubs, other places requiring proof of identity - all no problem so far.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I don't believe eBay calls anyone. I think you have been scammed. You better take measures to protect yourself.

You believe wrong. They do. And scam was my first thought too, but then try logging into your account, and find you dont even have access without going through their investigations interface. Only after complying with their every demand and emailing and calling and arguing through hours of their investigators BS on why they have to put an indefinite rolling hold on your $10,000, do you even gain access to your account to see that they've done it. And only when you start spending money on letters drafted by attorneys do you get them to back off and hand over your funds. I could go on, but this threads dead.

Two crap companies that just keep getting worse every year. Thankfully they're both under investigation themselves for shady billing practices and what in some cases amounts to racketeering.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
You believe wrong. They do. And scam was my first thought too, but then try logging into your account, and find you dont even have access without going through their investigations interface. Only after complying with their every demand and emailing and calling and arguing through hours of their investigators BS on why they have to put an indefinite rolling hold on your $10,000, do you even gain access to your account to see that they've done it. And only when you start spending money on letters drafted by attorneys do you get them to back off and hand over your funds. I could go on, but this threads dead.

Two crap companies that just keep getting worse every year. Thankfully they're both under investigation themselves for shady billing practices and what in some cases amounts to racketeering.
Very interesting. Thank you for the info.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Yep I can confirm this.

I had sold quite a bit of items on eBay through the second half of 2010 and got a call from PayPal and hit with a rolling reserve of $10000 rolling reserve basically allowing them to hold $10k of MY money. Took almost a year to finally get it all back. I only sell a couple items here and there with them now. They create new fees and/or raise fees every year now. They take a full 13% of every sale in fees currently.

eBay is good for buying. No longer a great place for selling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.