Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ok so I recently purchased a powerbook g3 pismo 250mhz with 160 mb of ram

It only boots with all extensions off because this is a corrupt copy of os 9 and I would like to install my retail copy of os 9. now the issue is that when I boot with extensions off it also turns off the cd-rom extensions so i can't load the disk and re-install

any help would be very apprecated

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ignore the post guys, It just randomly started working fine enough for me to re-install the os update the software and install classila and quake III and office 98

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
It could be a Kanga too. AFAIK the Pismo's were shipped with 400/500MHz G3's. Explain yourself sir!

ok so I had just assumed that (never seeing a g3 powerbook until yesturday and just flat out avoiding the subject for several months never googling anything about them) that they were all called pismos, now when you guys told me about that I hoisted out my old friend jeff from the pit in my basement and he informed me that mine is actually called a wallstreet

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
ok so I had just assumed that (never seeing a g3 powerbook until yesturday and just flat out avoiding the subject for several months never googling anything about them) that they were all called pismos, now when you guys told me about that I hoisted out my old friend jeff from the pit in my basement and he informed me that mine is actually called a wallstreet

LOL. Well nice machine I think they can handle Tiger? Or at least Panther.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
LOL. Well nice machine I think they can handle Tiger? Or at least Panther.

I'm pretty sure they run Panther & even Tiger (w/ XPostFacto) unofficially, which I really wouldn't recommend. Tiger is pretty painful even on my 500MHz iBook w/ 384mb RAM.

TorCoolguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
With the little VRAM it has in it, I wouldn't recommend anything above 10.2 and, unless you actually need 10.2 for some bizarre reason, I believe you should just stick with OS 9 because you can't really do very much in 10.2, and it will be noticeably slower than OS9.

If you have a Kanga, you can't install anything newer than 9.2 without OS9 Helper, so that probably means no XPostFacto for OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.