Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplhrt91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
I know its an antique, but I like it and will use it as long as I can. It was down for a year so I bought a Sony Vaio(?) With Windows 7 It sucked. GAVE it away and paid to get the hinge fixed on my MBA. I'm happy but when I watch movies on Netflix it starts too lag. My Samsung Galaxy Tablet works better watching Netflix. Thats a shame.
Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm an average Joe with limited knowledge of Computer Lingo so please, Laymans terms.
Thanks again.
JP

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
That's because Netflix is CPU and GPU intense for a 2008 computer. Do you have an SSD in there if it is possible?

Nothing you can do except maybe try an SMC reset, put an SSD in (parallel ATA), or get a new one. Perhaps think of getting the Haswell MBA when it comes out in June-August if you can.

purplhrt91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
That's because Netflix is CPU and GPU intense for a 2008 computer. Do you have an SSD in there if it is possible?

Nothing you can do except maybe try an SMC reset, put an SSD in (parallel ATA), or get a new one. Perhaps think of getting the Haswell MBA when it comes out in June-August if you can.

I appreciate your help, but is there any way you could explain it like I know very little about computers. I would really be grateful. Thanks.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
"Your computer is old and slow."

Whou calling old Willis? :D

I was going to suggest purposely slowing down the bandwidth so Netflix send him a lower-res but less demanding stream but I bet that's waaaaaay too much. :)

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Thats not the help I was asking for. I know it's old and slow, I'm getting there too. lol:)

Unfortunately that is the best advice out there for you. Your computer is running very slow and would be best to have it replaced. There are fixes out there for your computer but if you have limited knowledge in this field then getting a new MBA would be the best advice. If you are just using it for netflix might I suggest an iPad. The app is free and very easy to use for old slow people such as yourself.

Cheers.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch have more advanced GPU that can play Netflix better than a 5 year old computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.