Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Aggghhh! What other typos drive you nuts w iOS keyboard and autocorrect?

A few more I encounter are

tonight - I misspell this do much I had to create over a dozen shortcuts for it haha!

Haha - just like tonight I have literally no less than 10 shortcuts for this: haga, haja, etc.

So - 1/5 times this autocorrects to "do". Very annoying and not much I can do about this one as I use the two words both often enough that a shortcut won't work.

If - of, same as above

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yeah...

I just hate it when I mistype "the" and it substitutes "antidisestablishmentarianism"!

I'm sure you have all experienced this problem...doncha just hate it! :mad:

:rolleyes: :p :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My frequent use of the F word in texts has caused "duck" to be autocorrected to "*uck." I don't mind. I don't bring up ducks in conversation much these days.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah...

I just hate it when I mistype "the" and it substitutes "antidisestablishmentarianism"!

I'm sure you have all experienced this problem...doncha just hate it! :mad:

:rolleyes: :p :D

Good one! But really, back to another one of the iPhones 5 million flaws.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
i hate when siri won't detect: four, instead of for. like it only works if i say "iPhone 4" but if i say " 4 plus 56 over 7 it says i don't know what for over 56/7 means, if you would like i can do a yadayadayada

jaywsgz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Are keeps getting replaced with ate
5f1.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Let's face it, iOS' keyboard plain sucks. It gave birth to the internet phenom known as "Damn You iPhone Auto Correct."

And it hasn't been updated in years, either. It's long overdue.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Well becomes we'll sometimes. But the biggest error I make is typing "yo" and it corrects to "to". I'll end up sending "to" 5 times before I remember to change it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I always have the same problem: I hold the phone in my left hand, and tap with my right. After a while, I subconsciously tend to tilt the phone a bit towards my right hand to make typing easier. Except, when I do this, I always end up tapping a fraction to the left of the on-screen key (because of the angle I'm now looking at).

So I'm likely to type the opposite of the OP, I'd be more likely to type "him" instead of "jim". Or duck instead of.. you know.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I always have the same problem: I hold the phone in my left hand, and tap with my right. After a while, I subconsciously tend to tilt the phone a bit towards my right hand to make typing easier. Except, when I do this, I always end up tapping a fraction to the left of the on-screen key (because of the angle I'm now looking at).
That's exactly what I do, it messes me up so often :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
he'll becomes hell all the time

"its" often changes to "it's" for me, so that's almost the opposite. A while back I typed something like "get on msn for a sec" and it changed it to "get on man for a sex" :eek:

In practice I don't actually run into too many issues; when I'm at home I'm usually using Adium instead of sending messages on the phone, and at work I have a Bluetooth keyboard. It's only when I'm out and about that I actually need to use the on-screen keyboard, and it seems that I've dodged a bullet there :)

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Honestly the autocorrect mistakes don't bother me as much as accidentally hitting that "voice to text button" when I'm one handing with my left

So why don't you turn Siri off? The convenience of occasionally needing it is far outweighed by its awful placement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.