Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssmats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I'm currently using an iphone 5 which I'm happy with except that I'm finding the screen too small for some websites and for reading ebooks.
I've been looking at 5" androids like the xperia z to replace my ip5.
Alternatively I could get an ipad mini and keep my ip5. It would be better for browsing but I wouldn't always have it with me like a phone.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
How is a large 5" or note size phone for reading PDF/mobi books?

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I'm currently using an iphone 5 which I'm happy with except that I'm finding the screen too small for some websites and for reading ebooks.
I've been looking at 5" androids like the xperia z to replace my ip5.
Alternatively I could get an ipad mini and keep my ip5. It would be better for browsing but I wouldn't always have it with me like a phone.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
How is a large 5" or note size phone for reading PDF/mobi books?

I have an Xperia Z and while it's much better than smaller phones for reading books etc, a tablet is a better choice. 5" is still quite a small screen for doing a lot of reading.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
I have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini, love that combo. I just came from a Note 2 which is about the biggest "phone" you can get. I didnt even like full on websites on a phone that size, still need to zoom way in and pan around. Mobile sites were better but they are fine on my iPhone too. Books I left to the mini.

ssmats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys.
I did try going to a bigger android phone last year but found it too laggy and not premium at all compared to the iPhone at the time. I love the feel of the ip5 in a bumper case. It fits just right in the hand.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I never even bothered browsing on iPhone 4S and 5, too small TBH, I find that browsing on a SGS4 quite enjoyable, browsing on my iPad mini is better still, but like you don't always have it with me, in which case the S4 is a great alternative. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.