Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I've tried it out once I think. Possibly the most useless gimmick in technological history.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I mostly agree with you. I did, however, use Siri this morning and she was very helpful. I got a phone call from an unknown number. I asked Siri where the area code was and she told me immediately.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would use it a lot more if it was reliable. Despite Apple (and others) claiming that it has gotten night and day better, it still doesn't work well. The other day I was wanting directions to a specific sushi restaurant. I was about five miles away, just didn't know specifically where it was as I had only been once. I was driving, so I had to use Siri, otherwise I would have just searched manually and not wasted my time with this useless feature. I ask Siri to give me directions to the restaurant and that B*** tells me she can't find any sushis restaurants near me. Say what? This is effing Boston. You should be able to find about 20 within a five mile radius.

But here is my favorite (personal) Siri query of all time:

This is from about a year ago, but it was so ridiculous that I HAD to screenshot it!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I use it all the time, mostly when I am driving, and telling her to call someone, text someone, or finding out where something is.

I really don't ask the WolframAlpha questions or anything though, and prefer to look them up myself.

jaywsgz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Use it daily to set alarms when I don't wanna open my eyes in the dark
5f1.jpg

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I've tried it out once I think. Possibly the most useless gimmick in technological history.

I use it nightly to set my alarm.weekly to alert me to take the laundry out after an hour. and once every few days to navigate me home from somewhere.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I mostly agree with you. I did, however, use Siri this morning and she was very helpful. I got a phone call from an unknown number. I asked Siri where the area code was and she told me immediately.

That also shows on the call history if the number isn't in your contacts. I've...never used Siri myself beyond testing it out. (tip as well, software doesn't have gender).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That also shows on the call history if the number isn't in your contacts. I've...never used Siri myself beyond testing it out. (tip as well, software doesn't have gender).
:rolleyes: It is obviously a more female sounding voice. It is common practice to associate a gender with things, especially when the sound of it is female. You're telling me you've never noticed people refer to their cars and boats as "girl?"

I've used Siri mostly in the winter because I have latest text messages read or ask for directions while wearing gloves. It's quite handy in that respect.

digglesworth

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
I use Siri pretty much every day. I do a lot of driving for work and I use her for making calls and sending text messages. I set timers for cooking and laundry. I use her for directions to places all the time when I don't want to use the GPS. Hell, Siri was one of the reasons I got rid of my Note II since I felt she worked better than what I was getting on the it.

Now my wife doesn't use Siri at all. She has her turned off.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use it constantly with a Bluetooth headset.

Call (name)
Read new text
Reply to text
Direction to (destination)
Remind me to (do something) (when)
Note (whatever)
Random sports questions (how are the Baltimore ravens doing)
Play (music)
Set alarm for....
Post to Facebook (whatever)
Tweet (whatever)

Then I also use it for random questions and as a calculator...

Define (word)
What is (number) times (number) divided by (number)
How many (units of measurement) are in a (unit of measurement)

Once I take my Bluetooth out I stop using Siri pretty much. So I just find it good for hands free use.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I have used it just to set reminders. I use google voice to do everything else. It's 1000000000000000000000000000000% faster and more accurate.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I've used it a couple times. Overall I dont like it. It has been inaccurate most of the time. I would rather pay less for the iphone and not have siri. Just like 3d on my televisions. It's a trendy gimmick. Neither are 100% useless. But I dont see them delivering on the hype.

I do use the voice recognition/typing inside the messages app. But I do not use siri to initiate it.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
The amount of times I have to repeat myself to Siri negates any time I saved, so I just type everything.

The Google Search app has such faster and more accurate voice recognition, so I just use that when I feel the urge to talk to my metal and silicon buddy.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hardly, if ever. I only used Siri when it first came out with the launch of the 4S and granted that was only a few times for ***** and giggles.

CrossX

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
The answer is : Everyone that not speaking English natively. I tried it actually, but talking to yourself in foreign language seems really weird. And if your accent is bad... NO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.