Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
T-Mobile is really putting pressure on the other 3

The catch is must sign 2 year agreement.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.

Exactly. Why get ripped off even more buy a carrier when you could just sell the iPhone yourself. They're just trying to sucker in more customers. A person might as well give their iPhone or smartphone to Gazelle.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Exactly. Why get ripped off even more buy a carrier when you could just sell the iPhone yourself. They're just trying to sucker in more customers. A person might as well give their iPhone or smartphone to Gazelle.
A lot of users cell bills are paid for by ther job either completely or a percentage. So this type of deal for these users are a free iPhone 5.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This isn't anything new. You could trade your 4S in at most retailers and walk out with a free 5. Hardly something that TMo had done. They haven't put any pressure on the market. Just another crappy network trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.

Do you even know what constitute a scam? This is a good deal for those that don't know how to use CL and eBay. I buy a lot of phones on CL and $200 is the price I pay for a 16gb 4s. I've even been lucky enough to get a 32gb 4s for $200.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Scam if you ask me.

Scam? Please. Selling a phone below cost in exchange for a contract is hardly a scam. Look up the word scam, please.

I see the poster above me beat me to it. ;)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Scam if you ask me.

bingo. RadioShack, BB, etc have been doing this for ages. Trade-in your old iPhone and walk out with a new phone.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Scam? Please. Selling a phone below cost in exchange for a contract is hardly a scam. Look up the word scam, please.

I see the poster above me beat me to it. ;)

Scam: a dishonest scheme (according to my iPhone 4S, which cost me $350 on eBay in October)

Offering less than something is worth seems pretty dishonest to me.

But no matter, no need to get your panties in a bunch, just an observation. Sorry to offend :)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Is the free iPhone offer extended to those who aren't eligible for upgrade? Of not then I agree it's nothing new at all and not related to what Tmobile is doing.

An example of Tmobile putting pressure on AT&T would be the new prepaid plans they are about to start offering which are actually pretty good. They even allow data on iPhones at reasonable prices.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Scam: a dishonest scheme (according to my iPhone 4S, which cost me $350 on eBay in October)

But no matter, no need to get your panties in a bunch, just an observation. Sorry to offend :)

It's not a scam by any definition.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I'm no more offended than this is a scam and there are no panties currently to have in said bunch.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Do you even know what constitute a scam? This is a good deal for those that don't know how to use CL and eBay. I buy a lot of phones on CL and $200 is the price I pay for a 16gb 4s. I've even been lucky enough to get a 32gb 4s for $200.

Is uncle Leo again, everything is a scam! ;)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
U must be one of low ballers on Craigslist who send out 10-15 text responding to iPhone /cell phone ads.

I guess eventually u will find a desperate or stupid fool.

Amazon trade in for ATT iphone 16GB 4s is $307 still it its in mint condition with box as of May 17th 2013.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
U must be one of low ballers on Craigslist who send out 10-15 text responding to iPhone /cell phone ads.

I guess eventually u will find a desperate or stupid fool.

Amazon trade in for ATT iphone 16GB 4s is $307 still it its in mint condition with box as of May 17th 2013.

I don't send out texts, I call the seller and if they agree to my price, great. And yeah some of them are desperate for cash for whatever reason. It works out for me though.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't send out texts, I call the seller and if they agree to my price, great. And yeah some of them are desperate for cash for whatever reason. It works out for me though.

Yeah. Some people make a living flipping phones on Craigslist. Ha. One cousin down in Miami. She says her friend makes money off flipping phones.

My main concern these days is if price is too good, maybe the seller isn't paying the bills so att or tmobile may black list the imei and I would be stuck with a iPod like device that can't be used as a phone.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yeah. Some people make a living flipping phones on Craigslist. Ha. One cousin down in Miami. She says her friend makes money off flipping phones.

My main concern these days is if price is too good, maybe the seller isn't paying the bills so att or tmobile may black list the imei and I would be stuck with a iPod like device that can't be used as a phone.

Yes but that's why you have to buy very low, that way if something is wrong you can still sell it and recover your investment. I've had bought only one bad phone out of about 50.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.

Pretty sure they will give you $200 for your phone even if you dont have an upgrade. You just won't get the 5 for free.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.

Serif as how you are required to sign a new two year agreement, yes, one would think you need to be upgrade eligible. Essentially all you are getting is a $200 trade in credit for your 4s. Nothing too complicated here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.