Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I still don't think people seem to realize that by the time you add a retina screen probably with glass and the extra battery capacity to be able to keep the same battery life to a MBA that it would end up being about the same size/weight as the rMBP...

I think that is the point he was making. There would be very little difference between a 13" rMBA and rMBP so why not just get a rMBP now.

Maybe Apple will surprise, but I don't think the tech is there yet to add a retina display to the MBA without making it bigger/heavier. Just like the iPad 3 was bigger/heavier than the iPad 2.

The ULV processor used in the MBA could allow for a slightly smaller battery, but it's true that it would still have to be bigger than in the current MBA in order to compensate for the high power draw of the backlight needed for such a pixel-dense display.

So in the end, yes, it would be possible to have a Retina laptop that's thinner than the 13" rMBP, but the difference would be minimal, at least if you don't want to sacrifice battery life.

Another thing to consider is that starting from Haswell, Intel will now offer multiple types of integrated graphics (HD 5000, Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200) where they previously only offered a single solution for all Core i5/i7 notebooks, no matter the class and TDP.

According to Intel's latest slides about Haswell's graphics, it seems that the iGPU that comes with the CPU the Haswell 13" rMBP will use (Iris 5100) will be more powerful that the one the Haswell MBA will use (HD 5000) by roughly 50%, which makes sense considering the respective resolution of the monitors they have to drive.

Last edited:

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
So, I am undecided wether the Air or Pro 13" is the better option

I would like 16GB RAM.

Neither the Air or rPro offers 16 GB RAM. cMBP is your only option now, or wait for WWDC when Apple will most likely add that option to the rMBP, maybe the MBA.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Better is, as always subjective, but as someone mentioned the asus zenbook, samsuns serie9, dell xps13, lenovo ... offer better displays and some have discrete graphics.
Apple is known to have on their products something unique that differentiate them from the others, and the air has had it´s phase, a redesign would be very welcome.

You wouldn't expect me to check them all out, but the dell xps 13 seems to be such a big success that Amazon has to take £250 off the price. Looks like nobody wants it.

The problem that all these companies have that you mention is the same: Nobody wants to pay good money for something that runs Windows.

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Can I edit HD Video with a maxed out 13" Air? If so I might order one if they offer 768GB SSD option....

Well Louis CK edited the first season of "Louie" on a 2010 MBP. And it was shot with RED 4k cameras. So I think you're good.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Neither the Air or rPro offers 16 GB RAM. cMBP is your only option now, or wait for WWDC when Apple will most likely add that option to the rMBP, maybe the MBA.
Of course I wait. I am not interested in the current model. 768GB SSD and 16GB RAM would be nice. A good point for the Pro is that the next PRO CPU might offer a much better internal GPU then the one in the Air

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Well Louis CK edited the first season of "Louie" on a 2010 MBP. And it was shot with RED 4k cameras. So I think you're good.

Sorry, never heard of the guy. I have the 2011 quad 15" MBP and can edit just fine. My question was more in regard to the Air and Pro as they have both only dual core CPUs and no discrete GPUs

By the way - for the RED footage for sure he did a proxy and did not edit 4K on a laptop as that's not possible.

----------

Classic MacBook Pro destroys the retina model.

In which regard?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Not everyone wants or can afford a retina product. If I could afford one, I still wouldn't buy it. I like the freedom to upgrade my hard drive with out paying my soul to Apple. I also don't want to have to sell a computer at a loss so I can get one with more RAM.

I like freedom.

god that sounds pretentious -- youre actually likening the ability to upgrade notebook harddrives to the hard-wrought freedom enjoyed by non-oppressed societies. it's absurd.

ive owned notebook computers for 15 years, and have never upgraded the storage on any of them. nor do most people. you are in the techno-elite minority. apple products are mass produced consumer goods for the masses... they will always make decisions that benefit those masses. not the techno-elite.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Holidays 2012 - couldn't make enough iMacs because of manufacturing glitches - Record quarter, but this was the start of Apples nose dive. Today, more than a month from WWDC, they have run out or MBAs. And they say Cook is the master of the supply chain. I've been a Mac user in a big way since 1993, but I am feeling that the end is near. Cook isn't up to the job - I'm starting to think that no one at Apple is now that Jobs is gone. SO SAD! :confused:

Out of Air's. are you nuts? You can get one delivered to you next day.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Sorry, never heard of the guy. I have the 2011 quad 15" MBP and can edit just fine. My question was more in regard to the Air and Pro as they have both only dual core CPUs and no discrete GPUs

By the way - for the RED footage for sure he did a proxy and did not edit 4K on a laptop as that's not possible.

----------

In which regard?

pice
ports
upgradable
matt screen option
opticle drive

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Not everyone wants or can afford a retina product. If I could afford one, I still wouldn't buy it. I like the freedom to upgrade my hard drive with out paying my soul to Apple. I also don't want to have to sell a computer at a loss so I can get one with more RAM.

I like freedom.

It's called a Dell and they are horrible.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I've been a MacBook Air user virtually since they debuted. It's time for me to consider other options. Don't get me wrong, the thinness and lightness are great elements, but the 13" and 15" Retina MacBook Pro's are so thin and light now that it's hard to ignore the obvious benefits of those machines. So much more power, that gorgeous display. IMO the Air became far less of an obvious choice when the 13" rMBP was introduced. Unless money is a big factor in the decision of course...

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I've been a MacBook Air user virtually since they debuted. It's time for me to consider other options. Don't get me wrong, the thinness and lightness are great elements, but the 13" and 15" Retina MacBook Pro's are so thin and light now that it's hard to ignore the obvious benefits of those machines. So much more power, that gorgeous display. IMO the Air became far less of an obvious choice when the 13" rMBP was introduced. Unless money is a big factor in the decision of course...

Very valid points.

The 13" MBA is 0.68" at its thickest point and the 13" rMBP is 0.75" overall. Also, 13" MBA = 2.96lbs, 13" rMBP = 3.57lbs, 13" MBP 4.5lbs.

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Macbook Pro 13

I decided to purchase Macbook Pro 13 ,reason?
I upgraded the memory 16gb-you cant do it on air or rMbp
I upgraded HD to SSD 512 GB-how much will be on air os rMBP ?-a LOT!
I think they will discontinued regular Macbook Pro so I jumper on this one!! I can live with resolution what it has if I need better screen I will hook it up on any external screen anyway 13 inch is not good for big projects. I love Apple but where is going i dont like, I like to upgrade my stuff if I want.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Here's another possibility by 2015 or 2016:

8", 12" and 15" iMB-R (iPad/MacBook hybrid, detachable keyboard with iOS/OSX hybrid OS)

Yep, I'm with you. There's only so much they can do to these devices before you have the fastest, thinnest, lightest, best resolution tablet and laptop (separately), beyond that, what big thing can they do with these devices? Combine them, I couldn't agree more, and I'd love it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Uh, notice where he said rMBA and not rMBP?

You don't get it, do you? 13" rMBP is almost as thin and light as 13" rMBA. It has quite better processor and screen (obviously). And it has pure SSD too.

I really don't even see the point of 13" MBA (let alone retina) when 13" rMBP is around? For extra $200 the rMBP get you a 13" retina display, and a nicer laptop overall.
Not to mention if you want retina MBA, there will be extra cost to pay, so why not going all out and buy rMBP instead?

The question is .. why anyone would get 13" MBA?

You are welcome :rolleyes:

----------

It's called a Dell and they are horrible.

Yeah .. right, maybe $300 Dell laptops are. So does $50 iPod Shuffle .. LOL

But I love Dell Ultrasharp 2713HM moooorreeee than crappy :apple:Thunderbolt Display.

Yeah, go figure :rolleyes:

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Is it possible to create a higher-rez Air without it being Retina? That with Haswell and better battery would be awesome.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Is it possible to create a higher-rez Air without it being Retina? That with Haswell and better battery would be awesome.

No, because they already have Retina displays, and a, for example, 1920x1080 (I know, 16x9) would put the 13" Air awkwarly in the middle between regular and Retina. How would Apple market it? "The new MacBook Air, now with a more beautiful screen than ever before. Not quite Retina, but better. Wait for it!..."

Renzatic

Suspended
No, because they already have Retina displays, and a, for example, 1920x1080 (I know, 16x9) would put the 13" Air awkwarly in the middle between regular and Retina. How would Apple market it? "The new MacBook Air, now with a more beautiful screen than ever before. Not quite Retina, but better. Wait for it!..."

Probably by not talking about the screen at all, even with a spec bump. They'll focus all their marketing on the thinness of the Air, vs. the power and resolution of the rMBP.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Probably by not talking about the screen at all, even with a spec bump. They'll focus all their marketing on the thinness of the Air, vs. the power and resolution of the rMBP.

Or Apple could simply call a 1080p Air "Retina" - since the term has whatever meaning Apple wants to give to it.

A 13" screen would be "retina" for most users.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Or Apple could simply call a 1080p Air "Retina" - since the term has whatever meaning Apple wants to give to it.

Retina is double the res. of the standard. 1280x800 to 2560x1600. 1440x900 to 2880x1800. 1440x900 to 1920x1080? Not so much.

Renzatic

Suspended

It just about would be, though it's still less "retina" than the 13" rMBP. The Air would be "Retina-Lite" to the Pro's "Retina-Extreme".

I'd say they'll just talk about the Air as having a "stunningly beautiful high resolution screen", and the 13" rMBP as having a "world class genre redefining resolutionarily magical patent pending Retina display". This way both machines sound good, but the rMBP sounds like something you'd want to drop an extra $500 for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.