Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The appearance of this Napoleonic strategy game, made by Paradox, the same company that brought us the strategy games Europa Universalis line, suddenly appeared in Apple's Mac App Store.

I was surprised by its sudden appearance because late last year I inquired Paradox if they would bring this to OSX, and the reply was something like "We have no information that a Mac version is in the works."

So, it's now in Mac App Store... without any pre announcement or fanfare. Mucho thanks for the (porting company) Virtual Programming. They have ported several other Paradox best-selling titles.

And yes, this JUST came out for Windows PC only a couple of months ago. So the "Mac port" seems to have been planned all along.

Vive le Monarchie Habsburg! Time to kick some French buttocks and Ottoman arse!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/march-of-the-eagles/id634869855?mt=12

marchoftheeagles_beta_screen_6.jpg

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Looks great

Thanks for the heads up, this is just the type of game I'm interested in. I wasn't aware it existed, so I'll go take a look.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I do a search of the App Store for Virtual Programming from time to time myself and discovered and purchased this recently myself. I'm surprised the title did not get any coverage on the Mac App store as something new but maybe that costs the developer money?

Virtual Programming needs marketing in a bad, bad way. They need to be out there interacting with customers and potential customers about their games. As it stands, they do not even have a web site beyond the minimum (probably required to be on App Store) support page and even that is bare bones.

Virtual Programming is the silent developer of Mac ports, unlike Feral and Aspyr who reach out to customers here and elsewhere. Maybe there has been but I have never seen a post by someone from Virtual Programming anywhere.

There are some titles of theirs I want but am reluctant to purchase because of mostly old user feedback. With zero word from Virtual Programming anywhere, it is very hard to know are these isolated issues among certain configurations, are they being actively worked on, are they best of all already fixed? Who knows? They ain't telling and that is bad news for them ultimately.

They NEED someone to manage their marketing somehow. They seem to be investing ZERO here and that is highly unfortunate. I think that more than anything else holds that company back. Many times you have got to spend money to make money. This is without a doubt one of those times. I really wonder how they have managed to get along this far sometimes. I guess it is the Paradox games more than anything and Steamplay may currently be their salvation. Which reminds me, I was surprised this title unlike many other Paradox games is not available for Mac on Steam and there is no info in the forums there to indicate a Steam Mac release is coming. Oh, well.

All that said, I am very happy to see this port and hope it does well for them despite the lack of marketing. Maybe this and the other Paradox titles in particular will help them come up with the funds to make some progress in the marketing department.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I do a search of the App Store for Virtual Programming from time to time myself and discovered and purchased this recently myself. I'm surprised the title did not get any coverage on the Mac App store as something new but maybe that costs the developer money?

Well, the reason I stumbled on this port at the Apple Mac App Store is because March of the Eagles was features in the "New and Noteworthy" spot in the App Store. I really doubt that a silent low-hype small-fry (most-Mac-gamers-never-heard-of-them) porting company like VP has to pay a huge sum of "bribe money" to Apple for that.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. VP is sorely lacking when it comes to marketing some potentially great Mac strategy ports. At least on the Windows side, these original Paradox games like Crusader Kings and EU3 have been selling tremendously well, but that's because Paradox is responsible for marketing their own Windows games... and Paradox has huge clout and respect in the strategy gamer market.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well, the reason I stumbled on this port at the Apple Mac App Store is because March of the Eagles was features in the "New and Noteworthy" spot in the App Store. I really doubt that a silent low-hype small-fry (most-Mac-gamers-never-heard-of-them) porting company like VP has to pay a huge sum of "bribe money" to Apple for that.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. VP is sorely lacking when it comes to marketing some potentially great Mac strategy ports. At least on the Windows side, these original Paradox games like Crusader Kings and EU3 have been selling tremendously well, but that's because Paradox is responsible for marketing their own Windows games... and Paradox has huge clout and respect in the strategy gamer market.

Oh, I am glad to hear it was in the New and Noteworthy Section. I missed that. I pop in pretty often but I guess not often enough!

objdog

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Nebraska
Played yet?

Has anyone played this title yet? I noticed some sketchy reviews on the App Store but bought it anyway. The game runs perfect for a while and then crashes to desktop. I tried on both my desktop and laptop with the same results. Anyone else seeing problems? or am I alone in my troubles?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.